Police Protocall Question

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Police Protocall Question

Unread post by AARR »

Maybe someone (Norm) will know the answer to this.

When police officers pull over someone why don't they get them off the road? Why not have the drivers pull into the next parking lot or subdivision? I've seen cars pulled over in the driving lanes, turn lanes, u-turns, etc. And these are not accidents or broken down vehicles. The police are writing tickets. So does anyone know? Norm, thought you might know something?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

SD40-2
Canada Eh!

Re: Police Protocall Question

Unread post by SD40-2 »

Don,
I believe if they where too stop in a parking lot it would be private property
no?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I'm not sure, SD40-2. I see cars pull into parking lots too.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Norm »

Don Simon wrote:Maybe someone (Norm) will know the answer to this.

When police officers pull over someone why don't they get them off the road? Why not have the drivers pull into the next parking lot or subdivision? I've seen cars pulled over in the driving lanes, turn lanes, u-turns, etc. And these are not accidents or broken down vehicles. The police are writing tickets. So does anyone know? Norm, thought you might know something?
Well, yes and no; it depends, and all the other dodges I can think of. Motorists are not noted for intelligence when being stopped. I've seen them stopped in the left turn lane, in the traveling lanes, and the occasional thinking motorist actually pulls as far off the road as he/she can. Obviously, a cop with sense would prefer they stop somewhere safe, but motorists don't think of that.
Norm

Stitch
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Stitch »

Norm wrote:
Don Simon wrote:Maybe someone (Norm) will know the answer to this.

Well, yes and no; it depends, and all the other dodges I can think of. Motorists are not noted for intelligence when being stopped. I've seen them stopped in the left turn lane, in the traveling lanes, and the occasional thinking motorist actually pulls as far off the road as he/she can. Obviously, a cop with sense would prefer they stop somewhere safe, but motorists don't think of that.
Usually they will signal the drive to pull into a parking lot but 9 times outa 10 the driver isn't paying attention sees the red lights and stops in the street.
Railpictures.net contributions -
Railroad Picture Archives.net - http://crow_t_robot.rrpicturearchives.net/
http://www.youtube.com/user/Spawn674 - I need a better video camera

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

Obviously, a cop with sense would prefer they stop somewhere safe, but motorists don't think of that.
Some cops aren't that bright. I had a Dearborn Hts cop stop me one night about 3 am, on Telegraph, for nothing. Just because it was late at night, and he was fishing. I put on my turn signal and slowed way down and started looking for a place to pull off Telegraph. Within a block, he screamed at me over his speaker, to "STOP YOUR CAR NOW! So I stopped right there, in the right lane. He came up to the car and started to lecture me about stopping. I explained that I was looking for a safe place to stop, for his safety. It must have caught him off guard. He said he just wanted to check my sobriety, and told me I could go. Forget about finding a safe place to stop. Most cops go ballistic if you don't immediately screech to a stop when they light you up. Many times on my scanner, I have heard cops call in traffic stops, and within seconds they are yelling "he's not stopping". Then a few seconds later, they say, OK he's pulled into a lot at such and such.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

hoborich, I had a similiar experieince except I was on a long bridge with no shoulder so I put on my flashers and slowed down to 45. The officer started weaving back and forth behind me and shouting for me to stop. I waited till I was off the birdge. The officer was furious and shouting at me I'd better stop next time. Like you, I told him I was waiting to find a safe spot for him. he cooled right down and looked embarrassed. He didn't show up to my court hearing :D

hobojim
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hobojim »

Don Simon wrote:hoborich, I had a similiar experieince except I was on a long bridge with no shoulder so I put on my flashers and slowed down to 45. The officer started weaving back and forth behind me and shouting for me to stop. I waited till I was off the birdge. The officer was furious and shouting at me I'd better stop next time. Like you, I told him I was waiting to find a safe spot for him. he cooled right down and looked embarrassed. He didn't show up to my court hearing :D
That guy was a real hole in the butt (my words :D )

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

This would be why we have the "Pull over and slow down" Law when you come up on a cop that is lite up.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Mike Tabone wrote:This would be why we have the "Pull over and slow down" Law when you come up on a cop that is lite up.
Huh? What law is that?

There is a "get over one space" law when you come up on a cop that is lite up (haha), but I've never heard about one that says you have pull over if you come across one that has someone else pulled over.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

JT have you never seen the big signs on the freeway that say to move over one lane or slow down for police and emergency vechiles, its a state law in michigan.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Mike Tabone wrote:JT have you never seen the big signs on the freeway that say to move over one lane or slow down for police and emergency vechiles, its a state law in michigan.
Other states have them too...one would think JT would know this, after reading all the posts here about how he drives everywhere... :twisted:
~ Charles W.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Last I knew in Indiana they could take your DL on the spot if they got you for not moving over a lane or slowing down. I saw a State Trooper leave one person they had pulled over to go after a lady in a minivan who didn't merge or slow down. He RAN back to his car, and caught up to her in no time. Not sure what the other car did, if they stayed put or took off.

Practice Safe CSX

BerkshireKid
sofa king we todd

Unread post by BerkshireKid »

Ya know what I tell em?? I say "FU MAN!!!"
Not really. If i see lights behind me (happens on a regular basis) i slow down and put hazards on and find a safe place to stop. Usually the cops i encounter aren't to bad about it. At least anymore. Kinda hard to give me a hard time when i'm on a first name basis with about 10 cops.
Prolly should try to lower that number but hey, i've been honest and never give them a hard time. Thankfully only one ticket for no proof insurance (on refrig at home) that got thrown out.
My problem is everyone drives freakin slow so i look like i'm goning faster than i am. I drive NASCAR style, oh i got 3 inches of room! HERE I GO!!!!
Rule #1: BerkshireKid is God. Rule #2: God is always right. Rule #3: If you think you may actually be right refer to Rules #1 & #2.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Driving out here is no fun. :( They have signs with the minimum tickets for speeding, reckless driving and tailgating. It's like a crime to enjoy your time on the road anymore...
~ Charles W.

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

In Illinois its known as Scotts Law, named for CFD Lieutenant Scott Gillen who was killed by a drunk while his fire company was working at an accident scene on the Bishop Ford a few years ago. The CFD will always have a firetruck serve as a blocker at accidents on the freeways because of this.

BB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BB »

I've seen cars pulled over on the shoulder of a two lane highway with a center lane where the police car was halfway in the driving lane so you had to move over.
Charles W wrote:
Mike Tabone wrote:JT have you never seen the big signs on the freeway that say to move over one lane or slow down for police and emergency vechiles, its a state law in michigan.
Other states have them too...one would think JT would know this, after reading all the posts here about how he drives everywhere... :twisted:
He must know because he said it right here. :)
J T wrote: There is a "get over one space" law when you come up on a cop that is lite up (haha),
CSX_CO wrote:Last I knew in Indiana they could take your DL on the spot if they got you for not moving over a lane or slowing down. I saw a State Trooper leave one person they had pulled over to go after a lady in a minivan who didn't merge or slow down. He RAN back to his car, and caught up to her in no time. Not sure what the other car did, if they stayed put or took off.

Practice Safe CSX
In that situation what would be the right thing to do, suppose the officer didn't say something like have a nice day then took off?
MQT Rail pictures at [url=http://bbarch_railfan.rrpicturearchives.net/default.aspx]RRPictureArchives.NET[/url]
Brandon

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

I'd call 411 and get the departments number and call them to see what to do personally.