Last Few Outings in the Yoop.

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Last Few Outings in the Yoop.

Unread post by CAT345C »

Been a few months since I last posted. Been busy, very busy with work. Any way, I'll start out with some snow pictures since its been so dang hot up here the last two weeks.

April 23rd.. Coming south from L'Anse on their way back to Ishpeming, L539 trundles south across one of the numerous Tama Creek crossings. Skillfully placed boulders cut the turbulence of the small water way as it meanders down from the Huron Mountains along the former Soo Line line main between Nestoria and Houghton. Pancake Ice formations can be seen swirling around in the small whirlpool before the creek ducks under the trestle. It was a 4 mile round trip hike off of Herman Nestoria road through some rugged terrain filled with moose tracks.
ImageTama Creek and Pancakes by Mike Tabone, on Flickr

April 27th.. IC 3102 a GP40R once employed to haul the Illinois Central Stack trains at high speeds now spends its retirement in Michigan's Upper Peninsula trundling at 10mph on the Newberry Sub. On a quick 6 hour round trip down to Rogers City I spotted these guys tied up at the Paper Mill in Munising, on my return I caught them at Driggs mile post 88. At one point during the DSSA years there was a passing siding here albiet a short one before the dirt bike jump of a bridge in the background.
ImageMunising Local by Mike Tabone, on Flickr

Now fast Forward to June the snow is finally gone. I managed to catch L549 one Sunday Afternoon first out by Gentian near Goose Lake.
ImageL549 near Gentian by Mike Tabone, on Flickr
Again at Eagle Mills Jct making their Sunday only run to Ishpeming peaking through the trees on top of the rock cut.
ImageA Route Less Traveled by Mike Tabone, on Flickr

Getting out of work early one Tuesday helped me to catch U745 headed backsouth at Dusk near Sands at on my favorite truck trail.
ImageU745 in the Sands Plains by Mike Tabone, on Flickr

Almost a week later I managed to catch U745 this time headed north by K.I. Sawyer. I am a couple of bends away from the iconic M94 overpass shot that everybody seems to get. I like venturing away from where most shoot when they come to visit. It helps break up the status quo normally seen of the few trains we do have here.
ImageU745 Northbound near Little Lake by Mike Tabone, on Flickr

Friday July 3rd around 7am L540 heads east at East Negaunee on their way to Partridge.
ImageParading at East Negaunee by Mike Tabone, on Flickr

Monday July 8th, CN 5404 and 5456 split the derelict search lights in the Malton cut near the Cambria- Jackson Mine on their way to Partridge Lite consist.
ImageCN 5404 in the Cut by Mike Tabone, on Flickr

CN 5456 with 30 cars in tow runs down the "new alignment" between West Wye and Eagle Mills Jct. The tracks in the foreground is the former DSSA Mainline that went into downtown Negaunee. Present day CR480 takes up most of the route now. When Jones & Laughlin Mining realigned the LS&I, Soo Line and CNW tracks the old tracks in the foreground became the connector forming a large triangle out in the swamps between the Carp River and Negaunee Mine. The best way to describe the tracks in this area is as if somebody took a bunch of spaghetti and threw it at the wall and where ever it fell is where the tracks were laid.
ImageCN 5456 West Wye by Mike Tabone, on Flickr

About an hour later on accident I heard the Mineral Range shoving to Eulcid Yard to interchange with the CN. Here they are by the Section 16 Mine in Salisbury Location (Ishpeming)
ImageMR 932 July by Mike Tabone, on Flickr

While the Pluto Crew was shoving to Euclid I heard the iconic horn on the 1323 and headed west. After a short wait I was rewarded with them coming into Humboldt on a hot, hazzy, muggy and buggy July day.
ImageRolling into Humboldt by Mike Tabone, on Flickr
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Last Few Outings in the Yoop.

Unread post by AARR »

Great report CAT! Love all the details.

The Newberry train to Munising doesn't generate many carloads of business.

And log business on all lines seems way down to almost nothing.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

AARR wrote:Great report CAT! Love all the details.

Logs on the CN almost do not exists up here anymore. K.I. Sawyer has gets a couple a week in AOK 50' log cars. Nothing comes from the L'Anse Area by rail. Its all trucks all day long.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Somehow E&LS still generates log business. There must not be much if any profit in it for CN anymore.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

AARR wrote:Great report CAT! Love all the details.

Still decent log movements on the mainline to the Sault and down towards Green Bay and up to Quinnesec. But not much being loaded from L'Anse or Peshekee right now, as Mike said.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

SW
Rail Trail Explorer

Unread post by SW »

Great report! What kind of traffic does the Louisiana Pacific plant in Newberry get?
Owosso Steve

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

A few inbound tank cars and outbound box cars and center beams. I don't know if they still receive inbound pulp logs.
SW wrote:Great report! What kind of traffic does the Louisiana Pacific plant in Newberry get?