Delray, Detroit Overnight 7/21-7/22

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Delray, Detroit Overnight 7/21-7/22

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

Sunday 7.21.19 - Monday 7.22.19

9.33pm - CN 384, CN 5701, 2149, 2405. NB Detroit Line

10.20pm - CP T-28 - 3 CP Ecos. NS to Detroit Line, returning to Windsor. CP Windsor - NS Oakwood Transfer.

12.15am - NS Empty Autorack Train - NS 4149 & 5683. NB Detroit Line.

12.30am. Conrail RR-56 working St Marys Cement. In with 6 cars.

1.40am. NS 121 - 1 NS. Mixed Freight. Detroit Line to NS.

2.04am. CN 502 - 2 CNs. SB Detroit Line.

3am. Mixed Freight with 2 NS. NS or CSX to Detroit Line. LV-62? Heavy on covered hoppers. Possibly a Midnight transfer job Livernois to Oakwood / Rougemere or Oakwood to Livernois to move NS cars to Livernois since no more 38E / 39E.

4.50am. CP T-21. 3 Ecos. Detroit Line to CSX. CP Windsor to CSX Rougemere Transfer.

5.55am. CP 240. 2 CPs. NS to Detroit Line.

Meanwhile 10pm - Midnight in the area.

Conrail RR-40 working Lincoln Yard.

421 Empty Coke departing Oakwood.

B73 leaving Oakwood. Returned 1-3am.

D737 yarding their train at Rougemere.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Delray, Detroit Overnight 7/21-7/22

Unread post by AARR »

There has been speculation about the safety of Delray at night. You demonstrated that it can be safe 8) . However, I'm still not sure I'd do it alone :o .
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Man o' War
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Man o' War »

AARR wrote:There has been speculation about the safety of Delray at night. You demonstrated that it can be safe 8) . However, I'm still not sure I'd do it alone :o .
I'm with you on that one AARR. Can't count the times we would pull all-nighters there in the late 70's and 80's - but there was still some semblance of a community there, and the friendly operator told us he was a fairly decent sniper. These days I'd be more comfortable being heavily armed and having a functional cloaking device. You might think your safe - but the shadows could prove otherwise. Nevertheless, nice report ConrailDetroit.

Man o' War

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

I did 24 hours at Delray back in November of 2007. Never was bothered by anyone a couple people came walking by at 2 and 3 am in the morning they didn't say a word. By the way i got 57 trains in 24 hours there.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

Last time I was in the D, my van was stolen right out of a restaurant parking lot, at 3pm in the afternoon, on a busy street, at Vernor and Dragoon. Called 911, and the operator said I had to come into the precinct to make a stolen vehicle report, and hung up on me! You are perfectly safe in Detroit, until you aren't! Then you find yourself dealing with a third world country.
By the way, I broke in at Rougemere in 1968, when it was Chesapeake and Ohio. And I knew the area well. Still do.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

Violent crime is down in Detroit. However, on the rise in surrounding suburbs. 696 is the new "8 Mile"; at least in Macomb County. As the inner city neighborhoods within 5 miles of Downtown become fields and farmland, the riff raff relocates outward or to pockets of the city that welcome their residence.

Property crime is still high in Detroit. Thieves will take anything they can quickly and easily get their hands on, and will get creative about it. One must always go to a precinct to make reports for anything stolen.

The biggest risk in the city after property crime is hit and run accidents. Many city folks will only pay the first insurance premium to get tags for their vehicle and then not pay any more premiums due to not being able to afford to pay (Yes, Insurance in Michigan is ridiculously expensive as we know) resulting in the insurance lapsing. Get into an accident regardless of who is at fault, expect them to take off to avoid responsibility, and unless you have full coverage, you are out of luck in getting any insurance money to fix your vehicle.