Illinois-Iowa Trip Report - (6-15-06 - 6-20-06)

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
Railzfan
SpecialDuty

Illinois-Iowa Trip Report - (6-15-06 - 6-20-06)

Unread post by Railzfan »

Hey everyone,

Well, here is my Illinois-Iowa Trip Report, after we arrived in Rochelle late Friday night (June 15) we headed down to the BNSF interchange yard outside of Rochelle, there we found a former Santa Fe (still in the Bluebonnet scheme) B23-7 #4227 along with EMDX GP38-2 #779. Both where on the engine track. After that we headed down to the RR park, it was too dark to get any pictures, so we just watched a few trains pass and then headed back to the room. The next day we headed down to the RR park at about 10:00am, the first train that I saw was a UP train/power transfer. The train consisted of 7 UP locomotives! The most engines on a single train that I have seen was 8. Instead of telling you about every train that passed I will only point out the more interesting ones.

First off was a BNSF train with a MRL SD45-2 (former MK). Next up was a patched former CNW SD40-2 #3043 and a former CNW C41-8 and a C44-9W (former CNW #8805), all where really nice to see! After that I wondered off and found a BNSF freight holding on the main outside of town with BNSF C40-8W #922 leading and a BNSF GP39E Remote Controlled unit along with a BNSF SD40-2 in Cascade Green paint. Shortly after I took the pictures I heard over the scanner “BNSF 922 Highball!” and they headed East. That was pretty much all the interesting stuff that happed for that day, but little did I know that it was only the beginning! The next day we headed off to Clinton, Iowa, I have always wanted to catch the action of UP crossing the Mississippi on a giant swing bridge built for the Chicago Northwestern in 1909! I watched several trains pass before we headed for the old abandon CNW depot along the tracks in Clinton. After sitting there for all but about two minutes I look down the tracks and here comes a UP stacker. Many more UP trains passed but nothing special. I also want to mention that I met a great guy that is a BIG fallen flags fan and we talked for hours! After that we caught a unpatched SP AC4400 #324 that was holding with two other UP units. We sized the opportunity and shot tons of pictures! After that we headed out and stopped by the UP yard and I am glad I did, because down by the engine shed sat UP 3300, the United Way locomotive! It was about 9:30pm, not giving me enough time to get good-light pictures. The next day I returned to the yard hopping that 3300 was still there, but it wasn’t. We looked around but had no luck, so we headed off to get lunch. After lunch we decided to spend the rest of the day at the depot, but on our way we where just about to pass under the UP bridge I saw 3300 pass above, I was shocked. The rest of the day was spent at the depot. There I saw several ICE/DME trains pass, one had a former CP Rail SD40 in the consist.

UP trains where only about 15-20 min. apart, so you almost never have a dull moment! As for today (6-20-2006) I saw, as always, unending UP trains. But one thing that made today really interesting was two former SOO GP9’s that came by the depot, and yes, I got many pictures! And something that I have been looking for; a BNSF GP38-2 in the “Power Bar” scheme! What a awesome looking locomotive that was! Also, on one of the ICE trains there was a GP40-2 (former SP), #4202, now I have pictures of 4202, 03, 05 and 07! Just as we where walking down toward the UP signal tower I heard over the scanner “UP 3300 Westbound, over) I could not believe my ears, 3300 was on it’s way back! We waited more than an two hours for 3300 to arrive and then we heard 3300 call out to the dispatcher that they where almost to the Mississippi bridge, then the dispatcher told them that he was going to hold 3300 just the other side of the bridge! So we figured if it was not coming to us, we would come to it, and we did. We found 3300 just the other side of Clinton on track 2. there we got many great pictures of the United Way unit! Well, that was a GREAT way to end a GREAT trip!!! And I want to thank my GREAT Mom and Dad and sisters for allowing me to go on such a trip, THANK YOU!!!

Click Here for pictures of my trip!

I really hope you enjoyed this Trip Report and please feel free to post any comments or questions that you may have, thanks :D
~Andrew Kersting

Website - Rocky Mountain Custom Models

Long Live the Denver & Rio Grande Western!

LSRC
Flat River Rat

Unread post by LSRC »

Sounds like you had fun! Nice catch on the 3300, and nice pictures! Thanks for posting!