Lansing to Detroit commuter train???

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
acatgal1118
Railroadfan...fan

Lansing to Detroit commuter train???

Unread post by acatgal1118 »

Years ago I heard about a proposed commuter train connecting Lansing and Detroit. Does anyone here know if this is still in the works?

Thanks!
Tanja

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by RailCanon »

I think that idea died. I haven't heard anything about it for years.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

As gas prices continue to rise I think we'll hear more ideas about public transportation.

Anyone think there are many people in power who'd love to see us average citizens dependent on government for getting around :?: Just asking...not accusing or pointing a finger.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

nsted1582
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by nsted1582 »

I think it died but I know they were also talking about one from Saginaw to Detroit. Im not sure about that one.

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

nsted1582 wrote:I think it died but I know they were also talking about one from Saginaw to Detroit. Im not sure about that one.
The only route possible would involve three railroads, making logistics a nightmare. You would have to go CN to Holly, CSX, SBS for sake of time and miles. CSX to Plymouth and north would be too long.

CERY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CERY »

They could run a GRR-Lansing-Detroit train over CSX and that would offer a lot of people a cheap way to get to the main business centers of Michigan. However the track speeds are slow over CSX and there capacity may be stretched by adding commuter trains.

OwlCaboose2853
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Lansing to Detroit commuter train???

Unread post by OwlCaboose2853 »

acatgal1118 wrote:Years ago I heard about a proposed commuter train connecting Lansing and Detroit. Does anyone here know if this is still in the works?

Thanks!
Tanja
Microsoft Word - Lansing To Detroit Regional Commuter Rail Study Final Report
http://www.rossmanmartin.com/PDF/Lansin ... Report.pdf

Lansing to Detroit Passenger Rail Study Phase http://www.cata.org/media_files/pdf_fil ... phasei.pdf

Sound like as idea motion holding instead of dead~
Amtrak Wolverines
NS Michigan Lines
Ann Arbor RR
The Monorail Society

Steven R. Williams

Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

Unread post by Scooterb »

How about Lansing to Jackson to Detroit all on NS trackage?

CERY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CERY »

Scooterb wrote:How about Lansing to Jackson to Detroit all on NS trackage?
Well track speeds are so slow on the Lansing Secondary that it would take all day just to get to Jackson. 10mph is about all they get to at least here in town.

Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

Unread post by Scooterb »

Of course they would have to upgrade it, but it would be cheaper than laying new track and once they got to Jackson it would be fairly descent the rest of the way.

OwlCaboose2853
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OwlCaboose2853 »

Scooterb wrote:How about Lansing to Jackson to Detroit all on NS trackage?
Scooterb; Check pages 12 and 69 http://www.cata.org/media_files/pdf_fil ... phasei.pdf :wink:
Amtrak Wolverines
NS Michigan Lines
Ann Arbor RR
The Monorail Society

Steven R. Williams

hobojim
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hobojim »

The bigger question is what does Detroit have that would support the daily ridership needed to make transit to there viable?
I think it is much more viable to have a statewide system patterned after the interstate system going where people want to go, than one going to a place where most people avoid.(Detroit)
Outside of a few sporting events there is not much in Detroit to attract people and nothing on a daily basis.
The real hurdles are not tracks and freights RRs cooperation, but politics and the desire of taxpayers to pay for such a system. Tracks can be upgraded, new rights of way can be established but that takes guts on the part of politicians, and that is something sadly lacking in Michigan.

Fred
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Fred »

I believe the talk about a Lansing/Detroit and a Flint/Detroit commuter service started when GM was closing up offices and moving everything to downtown Detroit, thought was employees could take the train rather than have to drive their own car. Nothing ever came of the rumors.

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

Grey hound or Indian Trails has that Michigan Flyer bus, that is like 5 dollars that does Lansing to Detroit so I think thats the closest we would get.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

Bentrail
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Bentrail »

RUM AMTRAK FROM GRAND RAPIDS TO DETROIT OH WAIT
CSX WOULD HAVE TO UPGRADE LINE FROM GRR TO DETROIT.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

hobojim wrote:The bigger question is what does Detroit have that would support the daily ridership needed to make transit to there viable?
Answer: Nothing.

Hence, it'll never happen. Unless, of course, Detroit somehow magically becomes like Chicago overnight. You can talk all you want about track upgrades and whatnot, but all of that is a moot point unless Detroit has the ability to lure daily shoppers out of GR like Chicago does with the Pere Marquette.

Here's my answer to that:

hobojim
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hobojim »

Detroit does not have a mall, shopping center or chain super market. Not much there to entice anyone.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Would the many corporate jobs (GM, Compuware, etc.), gambling, and sports that Detroit has be enough to attract the number of riders it takes to justify commuter service into Detroit? How about the festivals and shows at Cobo Hall? Just asking the questions...
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Fred
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Fred »

I agree that the City of Detroit probably doesn't have the "draw" it did years ago. but I think commuter service might be viable if it offered riders the chance to get from "home" in Ann Arbor, Dearborn, Belleville, Wayne, other "western' suburbs as well as "downriver" cities to "work" in either Detroit, Troy, or Birmingham and vice-versa. I know quite a few people who would fit that description. The key would be that the trains MUST operate on time!

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

IMHO it'll take a strong job market to make commuter service viable. People commuting from the suburbs to the city for their jobs. I believe this is the case in other major cities. I don't think a city's entertainment options will sustain commuter service. So IMO Detroit needs jobs for commuter service to work.