Kinross

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
GAP
Railroadfan...fan

Kinross

Unread post by GAP »

What is the status of rail traffic at the old K I Sawyer Air Force Base near Kinross. When the AFB closed twenty or so years ago there was quite an effort to turn it into an industrial area. I know more tracks were laid and new businesses proposed but what has become of that effort? I don't hear much about it now. Is there any rail traffic now days? How often does CN service it and from where? So many questions....

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Kinross

Unread post by AARR »

There is a LPG terminal that located there and gets service frequently

There is also an A&L scrap yard in the area that receives occasional service. I don’t know if they are connected to the old AFB.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

KI Sawyer is in Marquette County. Talking the correct place, GAP? Kinross is between Mackinaw and St.Ste Marie.
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

GAP
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GAP »

My mistake. Yes, I meant Kincheloe, south of Sault Ste Marie.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

In 2023 the Chippewa County Economic Development Corporation (which manages the air field and surrounding industrial lands) posted this bidding opportunity for the construction of a manufacturing building and rail siding. If it’s the same plan I saw once a few years back, it would be located to the west of the A&L Iron property across the tracks near the bend in W Kincheloe Street. Hopefully, it yields something railroad-positive.

https://www.chippewacountyedc.com/invit ... expansion/

Is there a local CN job that switches the kincheloe spur, or does the road train do it when it passes by?

PS: hey GAP! Great to hear from you!

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

A daily local run from Gladstone as far east as Kinross switching the local customers.
GP30M4216 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:23 pm
Is there a local CN job that switches the kincheloe spur, or does the road train do it when it passes by?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

AARR wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:25 pm
A daily local run from Gladstone as far east as Kinross switching the local customers.
GP30M4216 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:23 pm
The local runs both directions from Gladstone to the Sault and return, on the opposite schedule to the road train.

Overnight, the road train runs west and the local east. Then during the day, the road train runs east and the local west.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow