AA Train Symbols

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Erroneous Monk
Railroadfan...fan

AA Train Symbols

Unread post by Erroneous Monk »

Been working on the wiki building a page for the original Ann Arbor railroad . I’ve found a few but was wondering if anybody had a list of train symbols used by the road or really any info on their operations, specifically during the later years but any time period is welcomed.

C&O Dispatcher
Railroadfan...fan

Re: DTI Train Symbols

Unread post by C&O Dispatcher »

I worked Carleton Tower 1971-74 and can give you what I remember from that period. Keep in mind, that was awhile ago! I believe there were two Flat Rock-Cincy (via Springfield) round trips DC-1, DC-3, CD-2, CD-4. At least one or two Flat Rock-Springfield round trips DJ-1, JD-2 (J=Junction, their yard in Springfield). I seem to also remember a DS-1, SD-2. Sometimes they ran a Flat Rock-Delta turn, and that was symboled DL-1, LD-2. They ran 2 round trips Flat Rock-Toledo via Diann AA: DT-1, DT-3, TD-2, TD-4. There was also an "Apollo" round trip to Toledo that always had PC power -- AP-9, AP-10. At least 5 nights a week there was a Flat Rock-Carleton turn with a slug of interchange cars for the C&O delivered to the DT&I yard. These were switched out by a C&O local out of Monroe and lined up for northbound pick ups to Saginaw and GR, and a cut for Wayne handled by a local out of Wayne. This is it as far as I can recall.
Last edited by C&O Dispatcher on Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

C&O Dispatcher
Railroadfan...fan

Re: AA Train Symbols

OK. I see now you changed it to Ann Arbor symbols! Disregard above, I guess.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Are you looking for current or historical train symbols?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Erroneous Monk
Railroadfan...fan

C&O Dispatcher wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:21 pm
OK. I see now you changed it to Ann Arbor symbols! Disregard above, I guess.
:oops: Yes it is true that as soon as I made this post I found a page with a load of DT&I symbols and so I changed this to cover up for my embarrassment. However, this is still really valuable as it gives more symbols and more context to the symbols I already have. My bad on the confusion.
AARR wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:32 pm
Are you looking for current or historical train symbols?
Historic, pretty much anything up until the road's split.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

I wondered who's been messing with the wiki. Just don't delete anything. Some of us have put a lot of time into it, including AA page which I see has already been monkeyed with. And who the heck messed with the Fallen Flags page!?
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

C&O Dispatcher
Railroadfan...fan

No problem; it was a good memory exercise for me! On the AA symbols, I can only speak to the early 60's when I would hang out with the agent at Ashley. This would have been during the Alco era. I remember two Toledo-Frankfort trains each way, TF-1, TF-3, FT-2, FT-4. They also ran an Owosso-Cadillac turn local, but don't know if it had a symbol. That one always ran with an RS-1 loco. Of course, the GTW Greenville local (541-542) ran over the AA from Owosso Jct to Ashley. I don't know about symbol changes on the boat trains after the orange GP 35s came on the scene.

Erroneous Monk
Railroadfan...fan

SD80MAC wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:42 pm
I wondered who's been messing with the wiki. Just don't delete anything. Some of us have put a lot of time into it, including AA page which I see has already been monkeyed with. And who the heck messed with the Fallen Flags page!?
Nothing's been deleted, just sorted to better fit a standardized format. Same with Fallen Flags page, just tried to make it fit with the shortlines and regional pages with the hopes of someday filling it out more fully. If you don't like something the way it is, I can always change it back, just let me know.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Going back into the 50's there was also a TF-5 and FT-6.

Each symbol had its own special work. Two were hot shots that pretty much went from beginning to end with maybe just one stop in Owosso.

Another pair did a lot of work at the interchanges between Toledo and Ann Arbor.

The third pair worked the interchanges between Owosso and Frankfort.

I don't recall which symbols worked which areas.
C&O Dispatcher wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:49 pm
No problem; it was a good memory exercise for me! On the AA symbols, I can only speak to the early 60's when I would hang out with the agent at Ashley. This would have been during the Alco era. I remember two Toledo-Frankfort trains each way, TF-1, TF-3, FT-2, FT-4. They also ran an Owosso-Cadillac turn local, but don't know if it had a symbol. That one always ran with an RS-1 loco. Of course, the GTW Greenville local (541-542) ran over the AA from Owosso Jct to Ashley. I don't know about symbol changes on the boat trains after the orange GP 35s came on the scene.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

A few other notables:

I think 2 and 5 were the hot trains.

I think the locals were TA-1 and 2. OC-1 and 2. FC-1 and 2.

After DT&I takeover there were only one long distance train in each direction working Diann, Owosso and sometimes Cadillac. Locals worked all other points in between.

C&O Dispatcher
Railroadfan...fan

The train I saw most often was the FT-4 on duty Boat Landing around 9 AM and through Ashley in the late afternoon. Agent Bill Collins often referred to this train as the "hot shot." The GTW Greenville Local (returning as #542) would often follow FT-4 to Owosso Jct.
FWIW, the GTW dispatched the Greenville Sub from Durand by telegraph into the 60's. The AA had both dispatcher phone and telegraph. Miss the sound of those clattering sounders! Bill was very proficient "on the key." Bill used to let me wear the headphones and I could listen in to operators up and down the line OSing the trains, and copying train orders.

jggilmore7
Railroadfan...fan

Re: AA/DTI Train Symbols

Unread post by jggilmore7 »

Thanks for all the interesting info guys (esp. C&O dispatcher), I grew up in the 70s along the DTI (Dearborn Branch in Taylor) and often visited the aunt and uncle who lived in Carleton back then and saw lots of DTI and Chessie action. Sure miss those busy and colorful days...

JG

Fred
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Fred »

In the later years the AA operated TF-5 and FT-2 from one end of the rr to the other.. To-7 and OT-8 operated between Toledo and Owosso and FC-4 operated from Frankfort to Cadillac and back. RS-100 worked Saline, Ann Arbor and up to Whitmore Lake.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Fred wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:21 pm
In the later years the AA operated TF-5 and FT-2 from one end of the rr to the other
Thank you Fred. This is what I was trying to remember.