New GLC Siding At Howell

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster

New GLC Siding At Howell

Unread post by BL2-1843 »

I was finally able to get out to Padnos in Howell this afternoon for the first time since their metal shredder became operational this summer after being under construction for nearly three years. I have suspected that they may be having a rail siding for over a year with pink topped stakes being seen alongside the GLC main since the fall of 2022. Today I discovered multiple staking everywhere in the same area. This time on the staking, they were all marked C/L track (centerline) with a couple saying north end of scale and south end of scale.

Not known how many possible tracks or length of tracks, of if there will be a building to house the scale. One thing for sure, this will be built as the land as been cleared with a couple of stakes where electrical poles will have to be relocated. Also not yet known where any of this new scrap rail traffic will go. Just because the CSX trasfer track is not far away does not mean CSX will get the business as it still could go to Watco at Osmer or CN at Durand. Looks as if the switch off the GLC will be for a northbound (west) pick up and set off but the nearby run around track at Cattell Street could easily be used.

The siding will be within one hundred feet south of where the long time short spur near Burger King was uncovered last year with the clearing under electrical lines near Industrial drive. This new spur will be directly behind Livingston County's east complex building and behind Aldi's.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: New GLC Siding At Howell

Unread post by AARR »

Looking forward to your detailed updates!
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

KVERBERK
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KVERBERK »

AARR wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:25 pm
Looking forward to your detailed updates!
Same
Up North TSBY/GLC Fan

David Lang
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by David Lang »

Yes, me too.

Does anyone have an initial projections as to how much this new business will generate for the GLC?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

At the risk of looking foolish, I project they will ship three to four cars a week and interchange them with CSX at AnnPere.
David Lang wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:28 pm
Does anyone have an initial projections as to how much this new business will generate for the GLC?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

MiddleMI
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MiddleMI »

Anyone able to mock up a little aerial of what we're talking about, here?

BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster

Much to my surprise when out running errands this morning, I drove around behind the east county complex where employees park that is right along side GLC and there was a larger piece of equipment, (digging machine) that was in operation near the rail in the area where I saw the staking yesterday. Now that the leaves are off the trees, you can see more where as in the summer you can not even see the rails back there. Could not see who the contractor was doing the work but I know there is a lot of prep work to be done before they can even begin to put down ballast and rail. Yesterday , there was no machinery at all on site, so they got a quick start on this project, for only finding this out the previous day.

For any one checking this out, at Grand River and Golf Club Road, east of Howell proper, there is a traffic signal. Golf Club Road only goes north but turning south you go into the east county complex. There are two county buildings on site, the larger one (straight ahead) is the former Ames Department Store for any who remember these stores, long ago. Turning right is a smaller building next to the tracks that by just driving around the parking lot, you can at least see something.

ATTM4150
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ATTM4150 »

Curious to who got the contract to build it. Did a few sales pitches to Padnos hoping to land it.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

Any news on this project?

BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster

chapmaja wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:43 am
Evidently when I reported the project was starting, it became obvious later that they were only doing perk tests. Was there two weeks ago and everything is status que, aka nothing further has been done.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

BL2-1843 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:06 am
chapmaja wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:43 am
Evidently when I reported the project was starting, it became obvious later that they were only doing perk tests. Was there two weeks ago and everything is status que, aka nothing further has been done.
i see. Thank you.