Plymouth & GR sub-div Work

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Tom49801
Bangor Webcam Master

Plymouth & GR sub-div Work

Unread post by Tom49801 »

From a conversation heard yesterday (Aug 27th) between the crews of E800-26 & M326-27:

Plymouth sub-division: the code line damage from the recent tornados & related storms extends from South Lyon mp CH36.2 to Lake Odessa mp CH120.4 is beyond repair. One of these engineers had said he had counted over 100 trees in the code line between these locations. New signals & cables are to be installed & in the meantime there is a "Signal Suspension". Currently, the trains are encountering stop signals at the Absolute Signals requiring them to stop their train & get the Dispatcher's permission by the signal.

Grand Rapids sub-division: in a couple of weeks from now, new ties are to be installed between Gross mp CG63.1 to the St Joseph Bridge & is estimated as being a 2 weeks long job. A curfew will go into effect that will move the operations for the coal trains, M327, M326 & L301 to overnight travels.

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Re: Plymouth & GR sub-div Work

Unread post by David Collins »

Tom49801 wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:21 am
From a conversation heard yesterday (Aug 27th) between the crews of E800-26 & M326-27:

Plymouth sub-division: the code line damage from the recent tornados & related storms extends from South Lyon mp CH36.2 to Lake Odessa mp CH120.4 is beyond repair.
Could this be the time that CSX finally switches over to satellite communications on the Plymouth subdivision? If they haven't done so already?
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

I can vouch that the WAS west end Sunfield has been a continuous red over red since Thursday night. Normally only approach lit. I
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline

pudgy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pudgy »

Currently only the section from Lake Odessa to Lansing is not functioning properly. There are hundreds of trees in the code line, so it's sounding like they won't be repairing it. Haven't heard of a signal suspension yet, officially. As of right now, trains are running thru this section following signal indication, getting dispatcher authority to pass absolutes. Going east, absolutes are EE Lake Odessa, EE Sunfield, EE Grand Ledge. Going west is
WE Grand Ledge, WE Sunfield. West bounds seem to be getting signals from CH 114 into Lake Odessa, albeit with an issue at Lake Odessa that causes a restricting going east or west between the signals where the siding is located.

East of Lansing, things appear to be functioning properly besides the occasional issue at Ann Pere.
Last edited by pudgy on Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Easy

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

So does that mean all the intermediates are showing up or being treated as restricting or are some showing more favorable indications.

Also assuming you mean 118 into lake o. 114 is between Woodbury and Sunfield.
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline

pudgy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pudgy »

Jetlink wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:55 pm
So does that mean all the intermediates are showing up or being treated as restricting or are some showing more favorable indications.

Also assuming you mean 118 into lake o. 114 is between Woodbury and Sunfield.
Yes, all intermediates and absolutes are showing red, absolutes are stop, intermediates are restricted proceeds. Everything is restricted speed until a good signal is passed.

West bounds have been getting talked by the west end of Sunfield and have been getting a clear at CH 114 and CH 116. Now going into the siding at Lako, CH 118 gives an approach slow, with a slow clear at EE Lako. But, going down the main at Lako, seems the best I've heard is an approach at CH 118 to a restricting at EE Lako. Very strange, but we'll see how long it stays this way.
Big Easy

Tom49801
Bangor Webcam Master

Plymouth Sub-div Dark Territory

Aug 31st, 2023 the Plymouth sub-division from east end Lake Odessa mp CH120.4 to Ensel mp CH90.0 is now operating under TWC-D rules (Track Warrant Control - Dark Territory) heard for the 1st time for L303-31's EC1 at 13:40 hours.

pudgy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pudgy »

Signal suspension is from EE Sunfield to Ensel. Trains are relieved from stopping at the absolute signals at Grand Ledge in the corresponding direction traveled. Signal indication between west end Sunfield and Lake Odessa.
Big Easy

Tom49801
Bangor Webcam Master

pudgy wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:13 pm
Signal suspension is from EE Sunfield to Ensel. Trains are relieved from stopping at the absolute signals at Grand Ledge in the corresponding direction traveled. Signal indication between west end Sunfield and Lake Odessa.
The EC1 was copied by L303-31's Conductor for the east end Lake Odessa to Ensel and the Dispatcher had said "alright, you're the 1st one for a TWC" & had stated "the whole territory is being treated as TWCD". The engineer then talked with the Dispatcher saying he had understood the Signal Suspension was from mp CH111.0 (west end Sunfield) to Ensel mp CH89.9
The Dispatcher had said that was the original plan & then yesterday it was decided to treat the whole area as TWC-Dark. The engineer then replied with "fantastic idea, I'm tired of going 12 to 15 mph".

This radio conversation can be reviewed in the Broadcastify "Grand Rapids Area Shortlines" online scanner archives for time slot 01:30 pm / 02:00 pm beginning at time mark 0:55 (playback is available for 1 year).

pudgy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pudgy »

The official suspension bulletin only includes Sunfield to Ensel currently, effective 0600 8-31-2023.
Big Easy

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

From what I was told by a knowledgeable employee, a signal gang and new signals are being assembled and the work will begin fairly soon.
Also was told that the COO or CEO...the new guy from Ford, was in GRP yesterday and wants to send more traffic this way. We shall see. CP-KCS and CSX agreements down south per the Meridian and Bigbee interchange...may portend a future between the two. Just speculation on my part though. Also CSX and CP-KCS going in on the hydrogen locomotive project and development.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

amessmann
Signal Maintainer

Searchlights in Grand Ledge removed.

Unread post by amessmann »

From Noah Crites of Michigan Railfans on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1878555 ... 660848785/
Attachments
369999863_1311729899538706_5944190372859216073_n.jpg

Talk
Keeps Talking

Re: Searchlights in Grand Ledge removed.

Unread post by Talk »

IT'S HAPPENING.
Ironically bad at Small Talk :(

amessmann
Signal Maintainer

I found myself out west of Lansing today checking signal locations with a friend. Interesting stuff around the Grand Ledge area, looks like imminent construction. I will include pictures of my observations, apologies for the spam.

Starting with the area around the Eaton Highway crossing at milepost CH 97.3, I observed a great amount of orange flags marking fiber-optic cable buried near the tracks. Matching them was fresh orange spray paint on the ground. These flags followed the track.

Moving to Grand Ledge, I can confirm the signal is no longer present nor is most of the yard on the east side of N. Clinton St. The track next to the main is still present, as is the crossover and switch into the yard, now just a track ending about 1,300' from the road. Littering the area were more orange flags with AT&T and Sprint labeling. With them were unmarked green flags and green and pink spray paint. On the north side of the tracks, one where the signal used to be, were two locations with conduits sticking out of the ground, one going in each direction and presumably linking to each other. Adjacent to these locations were green spray paint and markings perpendicular to the track. Little white "X"es marked the spur leading to ADM. A new switch machine sat near the old yard. The thin bungalow (I think that was there long before) is surrounded by pink spray paint. Aside from other markings, I could make out 2' and 17" sprayed nearby also in pink. My friend heard they would be putting a siding here but that is speculation.

Oneida Rd. CH 101.3 was the next stop, with a pair of intermediate signals next to the road. My friend was shocked that all but the bases of those signals were removed. More orange flags littered the area, I speculate a platformed bungalow will be placed here given the flags' arrangement. My friend also pointed out that despite codeline poles being present, the wires held by them were not. A nearby pole had its wires hanging to the ground, no more wire could be seen on the nearby poles. They have single conductors in them for those interested. The Oneida Rd. signals were present in a Google Street View from 2009.

At N. Wheaton Rd. CH 105.3 sit another set of intermediates, these ones were present however the eastbound signal was not lit. The westbound signal displayed a Stop indication with a gradient marker ("G" plate) below. I had not seen single heads in both directions until now. Nothing indicating change was here, no flags, no equipment, etc. We moved to 1st St. CH 112.3 in Sunfield a while later with the last of daylight fading quickly. The bungalow was stenciled "W.E. Sunfield". These signals were not lit, neither side was showing an aspect. I did not see anything of note here either, aside from the dark signals.

The M-66 crossing at CH 116.4 was our final stop, this is named Saddlebag Lake Rd. per Google. My friend noted that both directions (both were single heads) were showing a green Clear aspect. I had not seen that before. We waited for L302 here and as they crossed into the block (at the next set of signals east), the eastbound signal turned to a red Stop aspect. I saw nothing of note here, no flags or anything.
Attachments
Green Markings and Conduit
Green Markings and Conduit
Grand Ledge Bungalow
Grand Ledge Bungalow
Eaton Highway Flags
Eaton Highway Flags
Last edited by amessmann on Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

amessmann
Signal Maintainer

Adding more photos here as I could only attach three to the original post. The post with the context is below.
Attachments
New Switch Machine
New Switch Machine
View into Grand Ledge Yard
View into Grand Ledge Yard
Conduit Location
Conduit Location

amessmann
Signal Maintainer

More pictures of the work around Grand Ledge, the post with the context is below.
Attachments
Codeline at Oneida Rd.
Codeline at Oneida Rd.
Oneida Rd.
Oneida Rd.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

That “switch machine” is simply a switch point detector, with the rod connecting to the near point so the signal system can detect an open switch. It’s a good indication of continuing signal coverage, but it is not a switch machine, and those are not installed with power switches, as those include the point detection themselves.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

I have a feeling they will keep Grand Ledge manual rather than install power switches. It's not like there are many meets that occur there to begin with.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

It looked like the searchlights were gone just east of the I-96 bridge near Delta Mills, too.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Looks like the Plymouth Sub searchlight deactivation is in full swing. The wires across every crossing I’ve seen west of Grand Ledge are cut across every crossing. I have yet to see any other signals besides Grand Ledge removed, which they took the base and everything.

Searchlights at the east end of the siding at Grand Ledge are also down
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)