CSX bridge over Ann Arbor Rd. in Plymouth Township

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Garry K
Railroadfan...fan

CSX bridge over Ann Arbor Rd. in Plymouth Township

Unread post by Garry K »

There is an article (dated April 15, 2021) about the CSX bridge over Ann Arbor Road in Plymouth Township at https://www.hometownlife.com/story/news ... 187240002/.

That bridge was built in 1938.

Garry K

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Re: CSX bridge over Ann Arbor Rd. in Plymouth Township

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

You can read the CSX Public Improvement Manual on line. CSX will let the twp paint it and landscape the property, if they meet CSX requirements. All township cost, not $1 from CSX. In fact, the twp get to pay an application fee to CSX for CSX to review the plans. $10,000 IIRC.

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

Raildudes dad wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:26 pm
You can read the CSX Public Improvement Manual on line. CSX will let the twp paint it and landscape the property, if they meet CSX requirements. All township cost, not $1 from CSX. In fact, the twp get to pay an application fee to CSX for CSX to review the plans. $10,000 IIRC.
Who was responsible for railroad logos being painted on bridges and keeping the bridges looking nice back in the day?
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

ns8401 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:25 pm
Raildudes dad wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:26 pm
Who was responsible for railroad logos being painted on bridges and keeping the bridges looking nice back in the day?
Almost always the railroad.

Bridge & Building departments (B&B) have largely been gutted of the people and funding to keep bridges painted, among other things. It is essentially standard to use weathering steel on any new steel bridges just so that paint won't ever be an issue aside from the abutment areas. Most places you'll see new painted bridges is near salt environments, such as passing alongside a roadway or perhaps above if a lot of salt spray is expected.

I am also a proponent of the "paint it gray so that when it fades it doesn't change color" school of thought, for those bridges that do get painted.

I really wish the Patterson St bridge in Grand Rapids would get re-dipped in blue and yellow though!
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

Except for a few areas where concrete has broken off and exposed the rebar, it’s a structurally sound bridge from what CSX told our township (didn’t doubt it). Ann Arbor Road is pretty much the enteranceway into Plymouth from folks getting off I-275 and someone from the township got the bright idea to turn it into some type of “Welcome to” symbol like the Grand Elk bridge over by 28th and Division. The bridge could use some work to prevent concrete from falling on cars (all universally agreed), but nothing as embellished as some of the clueless folks made it at the meeting (and I made that very clear).
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

The railroads seem to care only about "structurally sound" these days. The actual appearance of the bridge doesn't matter. If a city or town complains they may be offered the opportunity to paint the bridge within the railroad's standards. But if the paint isn't needed to keep the bridge structurally sound it doesn't get painted.

We are a long way from railroads using bridges as billboards advertising their presence in cities and towns.