West Michigan location question

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

West Michigan location question

Unread post by Dan Cluley »

Just posted this video from 1996
https://youtu.be/HCZEIwGXMSc

My friend Mike & I chased 370 into Grand Rapids. I'm pretty sure the 2 pacing bits are from the west end of Hudsonville into Jenison & through Grandville, but I'm not sure where the first shot is?

Based on the timing, I'm guessing somewhere in Zeeland, but I can't find a crossing that looks right. Anybody recognize that house?

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Re: West Michigan location question

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Dan Cluley wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:39 pm
Based on the timing, I'm guessing somewhere in Zeeland, but I can't find a crossing that looks right. Anybody recognize that house?
It looked more like the south side of Holland. That rising of the tracks almost looks like 17th St. Perhaps there was a house there before the current business was setup there?
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

I'm fairly confident that is the Centennial Rd. crossing on the east side of Zeeland. That looks very similar to the house that used to be on the southwest side of the street/tracks. I knew a guy who lived in that house and not long after he moved out, it was torn down. There is a business of some sort now on that property. From the current street view, there is a pole in the same spot next to the tracks, the signal box is in the same spot, and the houses in the background look very similar, based on the video camera being zoomed in a bit, pulling the background houses "closer" to the tracks.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dan Cluley »

Thanks guys. Centennial makes sense if there used to be a house there, since it has easy access out to Chicago drive.