Recent CSX Observations (Port Huron area) 10/25/20

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Recent CSX Observations (Port Huron area) 10/25/20

Unread post by AARR »

Posted at the other board (known here as GreatLakesRailfan :) )
Posted by Charles W on 10/25/2020, 12:47 pm
https://members4.boardhost.com/OtherMic ... 44420.html
One of the pictures shows CSX 2 and 3-bay covered hoppers. The 3-bay covered hoppers look like the grain type. Anyone know which customer(s) on the PH&D Sub that gets them?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GTW6401
how bout no

Re: Recent CSX Observations (Port Huron area) 10/25/20

Unread post by GTW6401 »

I didnt realize that board had so few posts lately. I hadnt looked at it in a while.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Those are buffer cars for the tankcars. They tend to have the same set of cars way too frequently for anything to be traveling back and forth between a supplier and a receiver. They seem to have several 2 bay covered hoppers, plus the two 3 bay covered hoppers in the second picture. They also have used a former Conrail boxcar with NYC reporting marks and various other cars that run back and forth for a while then disappear and are replaces with other cars. Keeping the same set of 5 or so cars would prevent complications if there are no other non hazmat revenue cars to use as buffers between the locomotive and the lpg cars.

The only other possibility is that someone is transloading some sort of bulk commodity (like sand) in the transload yard just south of Davis Road. There was a rumor several years ago that something like that was supposed to take place at the elevator in the old Dow complex, but nothing came of it. They do transload plastic pellets (I believe) in the transload yard- BWP Trucking (now part of A&R Transport) has their yard/shop between the transload yard and Range Road, south of Dove. I don't know, and have no way of finding out, if anything else is transloaded there, but that would be where it's taking place, if it's taking place.

AARR wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:24 pm
Posted at the other board (known here as GreatLakesRailfan :) )
Posted by GreatLakesRailfan on 10/25/2020, 12:47 pm
https://members4.boardhost.com/OtherMic ... 44420.html
One of the pictures shows CSX 2 and 3-bay covered hoppers. The 3-bay covered hoppers look like the grain type. Anyone know which customer(s) on the PH&D Sub that gets them?
~ Charles W.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thank you GreatLakesRailfan.

Like you I recall the speculation that salt/sand might be unloaded at the Bulk Guys (old elevator spur). IIRC there was some rehab work done to the spur.

AFAIK the ethanol plant ships nothing by rail. Most ethanol plants ship "something" by rail. It'd be nice to see CSX develop some business here. Maybe if a short line takes over it'll happen.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...