CSX ops in Flint/PH

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

CSX ops in Flint/PH

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

All,

I have a few questions regarding CSX’s operations in Flint and Port Huron.

1. What is the exact arrangement between CSX and LSRC from Novi/Wixom to Flint? Can CSX run over or do they hand trains over to LSRC?

2. In Flint, what does their customer base look like, how often do they work and what are approximate times etc...?

3. From Flint to PH, I would assume that they run over CN’s tracks back and forth. How often does this occur?

4. I know they have the ethanol plant on the PH sub...is this the long cuts of black tank cars I see when I drive over Wixom on I-96?

5. So does CSX work these two areas, build big ol trains just to hand off trains to LSRC to take back down to CSX in Wixom?

TIA!

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Re: CSX ops in Flint/PH

Unread post by DaveO »

CSX retained undisclosed rights to run between Plymouth and Flint. They are using those rights to hand over trains at Novi/Wixom.
CSX operates their own trains using track rights on CN between Flint and Port Huron.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

2. In Flint, what does their customer base look like, how often do they work and what are approximate times etc...?
There is a day and night yard job that work Flint area customers Mon, Wed & Fri (Work to Wixom and back T & Th). Barrette (inbound plastic pellets), Stoneco (inbound aggregate), Lockhart Chemical (inbound chemicals), Clean Harbors Environmental (inbound ??? & outbound ???. Seem to have a variety of cars including open top hoppers, tank cars and containers too) and CN interchange.

3. From Flint to PH, I would assume that they run over CN’s tracks back and forth. How often does this occur?
It was three times a week but I've heard it's sometimes daily if propane is heavy.

4. I know they have the ethanol plant on the PH sub...is this the long cuts of black tank cars I see when I drive over Wixom on I-96?
Ethanol plant isn't receiving or shipping anything by rail. The tank cars are for the two propane storage places. Marysville has 12 car spots and St. Clair 28. They also handle plastic pellets, resin and a few box cars for Cargill Salt in St. Clair.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

AARR wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:51 pm
They also handle plastic pellets, resin and a few box cars for Cargill Salt in St. Clair.
Resin? Where is the resin coming from or going to? Do you know what kind of cars they're handling it in? Is it going to the transload on the north end of the new yard down by St. Clair (just off of Davis Road)?

It's not that I doubt you, it's just the first time I recall seeing resin listed as a commodity handled by CSX on this particular line.

And to add to the list- DTE apparently had an eastern coal train a week or two ago and various components for the gas plant they're building to replace the coal power plants south of St. Clair have come in by rail.
~ Charles W.

arty flowers
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by arty flowers »

The hoppers of resin go to either engineered plastics components or pier 1 polymers both in st clair.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

CSX has a transload yard inside the new yard too
arty flowers wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:14 pm
The hoppers of resin go to either engineered plastics components or pier 1 polymers both in st clair.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...