Downriver/Wayne County operations

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Btoth566
Railroadfan...fan

Downriver/Wayne County operations

Unread post by Btoth566 »

I’m from Trenton but have been away for some time so I’m out of touch with operations in the area, though I still get back and visit family in the area. What trains traverse the area around FN/Rodney nowadays? NS and CN ops? How about the CSX around Carleton and also Romulus with NS Detroit district?

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Re: Downriver/Wayne County operations

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

This is based on what I’ve read and seen elsewhere: Pandemic has reduced train counts And with Great Lakes Steel now closed that has impacted car counts as well. River sub is down to the single CN local job each way with the Great Lakes Steel shut down. I’ve heard early evening is still a busier time along the 4 tracks mainlines through Trenton and Wyandotte. I’m on the west side of the state so I don’t know about train counts here.

CSX seems to change their train lineup almost week to week, but someone just reported that Q131 ran for the first time in months just a day or two ago, on the Lincoln line. Probably 12-14 CSX trains a day . The I&O has been running a round trip to Flat Rock during the late morning, early afternoon based on what I’ve read. I’m not sure if it’s daily. I think CN still has one round trip from Flat Rock to Toledo via Carleton and Diann Jct, as far as I know.

If you check it out, be sure to post a trip report so everyone else will know!

arty flowers
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Downriver/Wayne County operations

Unread post by arty flowers »

CN hasnt been running that way out of Flat Rock-Diann-Toledo since the beginning the pandemic. They are now routing that traffic to the NS at Oakwood Yard because its cheaper to handoff to NS there and operating down the Annie costs CN at least 500k each year.