LSRC Grain Customers

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
GTWwatcher
Railroadfan...fan

LSRC Grain Customers

Unread post by GTWwatcher »

Couple questions about the LSRC:

1. What line is the Anderson's elevator in Standish located on?

2. Are the elevators in Auburn and Turner active customers?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: LSRC Grain Customers

Unread post by AARR »

Standish is on the Mackinaw Line even though it hasn't gone to Mackinaw since 1984

Elevators in Auburn still ship by rail but on HESR

Elevator in Turner probably doesn't ship by rail anymore but if it does maybe a few carload of fertilizer would be my guess
GTWwatcher wrote:Couple questions about the LSRC:

PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GTWwatcher
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTWwatcher »

AARR wrote:Standish is on the Mackinaw Line even though it hasn't gone to Mackinaw since 1984

Elevator in Turner probably doesn't ship by rail anymore but if it does maybe a few carload of fertilizer would be my guess

Ok, didn't realuze the Auburn elevator is on the HESR. Thanks for the clarification and answers.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

The elevator you may be thinking about is in Freeland which I think LSRC refers to as the Dean Line or Branch or whatever. Although Freeland Bean and Grain looks active I've heard they haven't shipped by rail in a while which is ironic because they opened a large elevator capable of shipping 90 car unit trains several years ago.
GTWwatcher wrote:
AARR wrote:Standish is on the Mackinaw Line even though it hasn't gone to Mackinaw since 1984

Ok, didn't realuze the Auburn elevator is on the HESR. Thanks for the clarification and answers.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

I think the date is off on the last time trains went to Mackinaw on the line through Standish. The line east from Cheyboygan was removed from service by 1984, but the line up through the middle of the state remained in use by the D&M up until the P&G plant closed in about 1990.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Correct, I was referring to the segment between Cheboygan and Mackinaw being removed around 1984. The segment between Gaylord and Cheboygan was removed around 1994.
chapmaja wrote:I think the date is off on the last time trains went to Mackinaw on the line through Standish. The line east from Cheyboygan was removed from service by 1984, but the line up through the middle of the state remained in use by the D&M up until the P&G plant closed in about 1990.

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

Freeland Bean and Grain seems to only receive one car per spot.

Auburn seems way less busy after Standish opened too.

1TrackMind
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 1TrackMind »

google 2019 shows one car at freeland

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

From the 8/3/1989 issue of the Federal Register: D&M filed in July 1989 to abandon from MP 151.5 at Hawks to MP 192.0 at Cheboygan. It also filed that month to abandon from MP 168.0 at Cheboygan to MP 182.75 at Mackinaw City. ICC approval took effect no earlier than 9/2/1989.

Ron Cady's July 1992 "Trains" article stated that those lines were torn up in 1990 or 1991-- it lists one of those years, I can't remember which. He said the line from Big Cut (just west of Hawks) to Cheboygan hadn't been used since 1979.

Was the last revenue movement over the old MC from Mackinaw City indeed in Aug. 1984 when the Chief quit? It apparently would have been no later than July 1987, since D&M declared to the ICC that no local traffic had moved over the line for at least 2 years. The only other customer there I know of was the lumber yard. When did that receive its last shipment? As far as non-revenue movements, I know D&M stored some of its boxcars in Mackinaw City after the Chief quit. For how long?