GLC Lumber Customers

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

GLC Lumber Customers

Unread post by AARR »

I hope someone will post this at the other site for Alex.

The mill in McBain (Biewer) is loading lumber which gets shipped south.

Customers who receive lumber are the place east of Clare (Letherer) and east of Traverse City (Amerhart).
Posted by Alex on 7/7/2020, 10:29 am

Greetings Folks

I've been watching some of the YouTube videos of GLC operation.

I'd have to cite the specific video, but in one in particular, out of Owosso, the GLC was bringing empty lumber-racks NB, and in Clare interchanged with a SB that had at least one loaded lumber rack.

Is there a dimensional lumber or plywood processing center somewhere out of Cadillac? McBain? I know the poles come through on occasion.

On a side note, there's a covered hopper at the McBain elevator right now. I didn't think the elevator was an active customer.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: GLC Lumber Customers

Unread post by AARR »

Thank you RDD :)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

It would be nice if someone can post this at the other site.

There are two spurs by Biewer Lumber. The one on the east side also is used to bring in inbound logs to Hydrolake. The spur on the west side also is used to bring in old railroad ties for the utility plant. I think Biewer uses both spurs for loading lumber.

Several years ago Biewer loaded less than 20 cars. Last year they loaded around 150. This year they project loading 200 but it seems like they are on pace to load far more than that.
Posted by Alex on 7/15/2020, 4:35 pm, in reply to "Re: GLC Lumber Operations"
Briewer Lumber in McBain is the source of these centerbeams.

I drove through there the other day up north. There's quite a bit of lumber activity there, but not much of a railroad spur.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

I talked to the engineer working on their site a few weeks ago. Biewer is doing a big expansion inviting me truck. The Viking Energy plant is a doing a track extension / expansion as well. He's doing the track engineering for both. I could have taken notes and posted but I'm on overload at the day job 8AM to 6:30 PM today

Alex needs to sign up for this site. He can use the search feature on this site to find a lot of info. I really don't understand the hate from some on the other site. There's folks on both sites that I tend to ignore