J H Campbell coal plant Port Sheldon

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

J H Campbell coal plant Port Sheldon

Unread post by Super Chief »

Has anyone seen photos of the cow/calf switcher set at this location. Google satellite photo of plant shows a set on the loop track inside the facility. I didn't know the power company had there own switcher? Also see where coal will still be used until at least 2031 for units 1 & 2, and 2040 for unit 3. That explains the continuing maintenance on the line now. Didn't realize the 20 year operating window it still had.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Re: J H Campbell coal plant Port Sheldon

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Yes, the cow and calf are what they use most often. They also have a pair of European-looking 2 axle units that see occasional use as well. With all of the improvements Consumers has done to Campbell, it is one of the cleanest burning coal plants in the world. They have picked up a lot of slack recently with the closing of the local plants in Muskegon and Grand Haven, too.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

I would presume that those closing dates are probably "no later than" estimates. If we for whatever reason see an uptick in new renewable generation - including perhaps more natural gas plants - then I could see it being retired earlier.

Like Jon said, Campbell is state-of-the-art in respect to coal fired power generation. It has a real shot at being one of the last such plants in the country still operating.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Super Chief wrote:Has anyone seen photos of the cow/calf switcher set at this location. Google satellite photo of plant shows a set on the loop track inside the facility. I didn't know the power company had there own switcher?
I have photos of them. I also have a photo of the yellow center cab unit. I've never managed to get any photos of the 2 axle units.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

cnw8835
Grain Train Fetish LOLZ

Unread post by cnw8835 »

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks for posting the pics. These are units I didn't know existed. When I was conductor on Illinois Central suburban trains in the 1960s we had a lot of cow/calf units at Homewood. They also transversed the St. Charles Air line on the up and over at Central Station on the lakefront on locals and transfers.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Is this a TR-2 Cow-Calf set or is this something that was made later on?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Looks to be an SW1200 that is remote control, the slug looks like its a ballast slug, no stacks and a porch on each end like an SW1. Just using the traction motors on the slug powered from the SW1200 for slow speed shoves. Cow/calves or TR2s had prime movers in both units.

dave989
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by dave989 »

I went over there Friday and agree with Super Chief. Remote control SW1200 and slug.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Update from a friend that works at Campbell. The SW1200 and slug are broken and they haven't fixed them because they hate using them. The 2 axle engines don't see much use because they also hate using them. They currently dump all of the trains with their 110 Ton GE Switcher.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

barnstormer
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by barnstormer »

SD80MAC wrote:Update from a friend that works at Campbell. The SW1200 and slug are broken and they haven't fixed them because they hate using them. The 2 axle engines don't see much use because they also hate using them. They currently dump all of the trains with their 110 Ton GE Switcher.
I was driving right by there today, going from one 4th of July gathering to another just off Lakeshore Dr., a bit south of Grand Haven. As I passed the plant, I saw the 4-axles pulling loads by the #2 dumper. I was surprised to see this. So, apparently, they must be working well enough to be used....well....at least, today they were. Go figure.....just thought I'd pass on my observations....

-barny