Wanamie #9 leaves Grand Rapids tomorrow

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Wanamie #9 leaves Grand Rapids tomorrow

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Wanamie #9, the rag tag looking 3 foot 0-4-0 at Vierson Boiler Works in front of the N&W Caboose out by the Gerald Ford Airport alongside the Plymouth Sub is being loaded on a flatbed for transport to Ashley, Pennsylvania for an eventual return to operation (or so they claim). I'm not sure on what time she's set to be loaded, but I'll post if I find out.

**The loading process begins tomorrow at 9am**
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Re: Wanamie #9 leaves Grand Rapids tomorrow

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Flatbed behind a semi-truck, correct? Not going out via a flatcar on the railroad then...
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

https://goo.gl/maps/oGbnwRiKhBZpHv9A7
That is pretty neat that they made a small loop track for that to ride around in.

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

Michael wrote:https://goo.gl/maps/oGbnwRiKhBZpHv9A7
That is pretty neat that they made a small loop track for that to ride around in.
That loop track is for miniature trains. While #9 is small, it's not a miniature train.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

Grandpa Vierson built the RR. Neat old guy.Interesting to visit with. I managed the construction of the RR bridge / road project in front of their shop in 1987. The road used to be above there front yard :). I had to work with them to get grading permits, relocate their driveway etc. so I had a lot of interaction with dad.
They had 2 maple trees out front, one clsoe to the building that wasn't the best looking and one closer to the road. I tried my best to save it but couldn't. Dad agreed to cutting it down. His son and office lady asked if we could save some rounds so thye could have 2-3 coffee tables made from them. We go to cut the tree down and only the outer 4-6 inches were good, the rest of the trunk was rotten sawdust mush.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Watched them chaining it down to the flat bed about an hour ago, missed seeing them lift it with the cranes. Talked with the kid who organized the whole thing, sounds like it will be well cared for.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

SD80MAC wrote:Watched them chaining it down to the flat bed about an hour ago, missed seeing them lift it with the cranes. Talked with the kid who organized the whole thing, sounds like it will be well cared for.
After talking to some people that he originally was aligned with it also sounds like there were some mixed opinions from some big names out East in steam that saw uncertainty around them. However, anywhere it sees care is better then here. Nothing against the Viersons, but it wasn’t exactly loved here.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)