White Pigeon Grain Trains

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

White Pigeon Grain Trains

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Sounds like some or most of the Grand Elk's White Pigeon grain trains will no longer be going via NS and will be moving to CSX instead. Apparently The Anderson's and Purdue Farms (who receives the loaded trains in North Carolina) have decided to shift the trains over to CSX after NS decided they were no longer interested and gave them a ludicrous rate. For anyone unfamiliar with the matter, this is a big win for CSX management in West Michigan, who has been trying to get these trains from NS since 2014.

So the Plymouth sub will be a little bit busier now with the addition of these grain trains. The CSX power is supposed to run through from Grand Rapids, down to White Pigeon and back with the trains. The first train, V65014, is on its way to Grand Rapids this week. Something new to see!
Last edited by SD80MAC on Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

David Lang
Railroadfan...fan

Re: White Pigeon Grain Trains

Unread post by David Lang »

Great news SD80MAC.

Thanks for sharing.

David Lang

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

NS is apparently raising rates. All the lumber I'm dealing with from BC comes to Chicago to interchange. It has been CN to NS. Now they interchange with CSX. Mills captive to NS have questioned why the rates have increased on their routing. It's not on our end.

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ben Higdon »

Unit grain trains through Kalamazoo again, interesting! Any idea about how often these trains run?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I read somewhere 5-10 a month
Ben Higdon wrote:Unit grain trains through Kalamazoo again, interesting! Any idea about how often these trains run?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

So I would assume Elk crews would operate their part of the run? When the stone trains start up again could make it interesting as the only meeting place would be Park/Cowling. Would CSX/ Elk both be leasing rights from NS?

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Anyone know if there's an updated symbol for the grain train? Sources say that V65014 ran to Rocky Mount NC and got terminated there.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Super Chief wrote:So I would assume Elk crews would operate their part of the run? When the stone trains start up again could make it interesting as the only meeting place would be Park/Cowling. Would CSX/ Elk both be leasing rights from NS?
An Elk crew would take the train from GR down to White Pigeon and return. What do you mean by leasing rights?

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

~Z~ wrote:Anyone know if there's an updated symbol for the grain train? Sources say that V65014 ran to Rocky Mount NC and got terminated there.
V77819

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Well you said CSX management has been trying to get these trains since 2014? I would think NS gets some kind of payback since Elks leasing the line? After all the GR trackage rights snafus and Perdue is on a CSX southern line who pays who the bill?

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

I don't think any of that is relevant in this case. Grand Elk, though they lease the line from NS, has full rights to interchange with NS, CSX, CN, and GRE. This is just CSX-originated traffic that Grand Elk will be handling, no different than any of the traffic that comes via CSX now. Not CSX or GDLK's fault that NS was no longer interested handling the trains. CSX has been trying to get the grain trains simply because they want the extra business.
Last edited by SD80MAC on Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

SD80MAC wrote:I don't think any of that is relevant in this case. Grand Elk, though they lease the line from NS, has full rights to interchange with NS, CSX, CN, and GRE. This is just CSX-originated traffic that Grand Elk will be handling, no different than any of the traffic that comes via CSX now. Not CSX or GDLK's fault that NS was no longer in handling the trains. CSX has been trying to get the grain trains simply because they want the extra business.
Dear NS,

We're gonna take your trains and then run 'em on your tracks. :P

Signed,

CSX
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

Any ideas when the first train will roll through Kalamazoo?
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

NSSD70ACe wrote:Any ideas when the first train will roll through Kalamazoo?
At least a couple more days - word on the street says that V77819 is in west virginia enroute to grand rapids and onto Kzoo/white pigeon.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

Planned arrival time in GR 02-21-2020 20:10

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

Raildudes dad wrote:Planned arrival time in GR 02-21-2020 20:10
Any idea if Grand Elk is going to depart immediately and go down that night or wait until the 22nd?
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

jrgerber
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jrgerber »

So once the CSX grain trains reach Grand Rapids from White Pigeon then what the final destinations if you have any idea. Thanks.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Perdue Farms North Carolina.

kd_1014
Mike

Unread post by kd_1014 »

How will you think they will get them on the GDLK? Would they terminate in Wyoming, run around their train, then an Elk crew takes it down the Hughart Runner?

OldBastard
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OldBastard »

SD80MAC wrote:
~Z~ wrote:Anyone know if there's an updated symbol for the grain train? Sources say that V65014 ran to Rocky Mount NC and got terminated there.
V77819
CSX 69, 239 as of now for power