GLC SD40-2's

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
MIGN-Todd
Railroadfan...fan

GLC SD40-2's

Unread post by MIGN-Todd »

Wow! I've been gone from this site for years. Glad I remembered it so I could reunite again. Just an observation from the other day- In my work truck, I passed GLC's SD40-2 heading back south along Keystone with two scrap loads and an empty centerbeam. Maybe I'm just too used to seeing GP's from the C&O, MIGN, TSB up here to really appreciate the size of the big SD's. Just really blew me away and, I'm surprised the track has been forgiving of them. Did GLC work on the switches to make them more tolerant of the bigger locomotives? Finally- since I'm just catching up, has there been any big news for GLC lately?
U.S.Army Retired- under new management (see wife)

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: GLC SD40-2's

Unread post by AARR »

Welcome back Todd. There are a few new customers in the Cadillac area including the propane terminal in Cadillac and the gas plant south of Kalkaska.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

I don't know if they really did anything to the track, I think a lot of railroads have just realized in recent years than an SD40 doesn't weigh THAT much more than a GP38 or a loaded railcars in the scheme of things. GLC has run their SD40s to Traverse City and all the way to Petoskey with no apparent problems, even before they started rehabbing the TC branch. The train lengths up there certainly don't warrant using them, though.
Last edited by SD80MAC on Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

MIGN-Todd wrote: Glad I remembered it so I could reunite again.
Good to hear from you again Todd.

A fall track upgrade occurred in the Traverse City Branch. If you have time read through the GLC thread under the Heads Up Train location section.

A great collection of GLC videos thanks to AANScale Runner.

MIGN-Todd
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MIGN-Todd »

Yep, I went by the track work everyday and everyday I yelled at them thru my trucks windshield. They would do little sections at a time and it was never consistent! They've left two big strips that still need to be tamped and straightened. Maybe I'm just too used to seeing MOW gangs going from one end to the other and nailing everything at once the first time. Seemed like there was no rhyme nor reason to what they were doing (but, that's just me). I hear what you're saying about the weights and whatnot but when that ex-SD45 rebuild went by me last summer, the ground really moved. She's a big'un! Anyways, I'm glad GLC is still rockin' and making a good effort in TC and kudos to their maint crew keeping them looking good.
U.S.Army Retired- under new management (see wife)

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Was GLC concerned about track damage around some curves and spurs by the longer three-axle wheel base?
SD80MAC wrote:I don't know if they really did anything to the track, I think a lot of railroads have just realized in recent years than an SD40 doesn't weigh THAT much more than a GP38 or a loaded railcars in the scheme of things. GLC has run their SD40s to Traverse City and all the way to Petoskey with no apparent problems, even before they started rehabbing the TC branch. The train lengths up there certainly don't warrant using them, though.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

MIGN-Todd wrote: ... I'm glad GLC is still rockin' and making a good effort in TC and kudos to their maint crew keeping them looking good.
Also kudos to the State of Michigan for paying for at least a big chunk of that maintenance.