More Wolverine Chargers

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

More Wolverine Chargers

Unread post by Ypsi »

Today for the first time I observed two sets running with chargers. 350-355 ran with a charger on each end and 352 ran East with a charger set on both ends. For a while it was only 350-355 running with chargers.

Today’s sets on January 6th 2020:
353- P42s on both ends
350/ 355- Chargers on both ends
352- Chargers on both ends

I believe it was 68 and 58 today on 353 but I can’t remember exactly which units they had. Seems as if the P42 era will be coming to an end soon(ish?) maybe...... :lol:
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

coasterrider
Railroadfan...fan

Re: More Wolverine Chargers

Unread post by coasterrider »

P-42s are history (unless the Chargers break down and need the 42s to fill in)....351,353 and 355 are now powered by the SC-44s. Of course you will find them on all E/B trains too. Let the fun begin :(

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railrod1949 »

coasterrider wrote:P-42s are history (unless the Chargers break down and need the 42s to fill in)....351,353 and 355 are now powered by the SC-44s. Of course you will find them on all E/B trains too. Let the fun begin :(
That's awesome!!

CR900945
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CR900945 »

The real performers were the EMD F40's. The GE's had some issues but held up fairly well. Now that the Siemens Chargers are arriving in quantity, we might actually miss the GE Genesis units. Do the Chargers make any noise other than the horns?

Manistique
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Manistique »

The first P42 "Genesis" locomotive as we called them appeared in Michigan on May 2, 1995 on the first, special run of the extension of Amtrak trains to Pontiac. This may also have been the ceremonial opening day of the new "temporary" Detroit depot on Woodward, Avenue. There was brand new p42 839 on the train. Dignitaries and Press rode it only. It stopped at Royal Oak, Birmingham and Pontiac for speeches. The first "new" Pontiac depot was being used still.

The first regularly scheduled train out of Pontiac was May 5, 1995. It had two F40's back to back. As you know, the F40's were the main locomotives on this route for years and were partially replaced by Amtrak's older "freight" version locomotives and then at some point by the P42's. At first there were two Amtrak's out of Pontiac with the third train on this route going from Chicago to Toledo (It went as far as the new Detroit Depot then just reversed direction and head south to Toledo). This lasted only a year or so then was changed to also run to Pontiac. At some point they named all the trains Wolverines. Before each train had a name: Wolverine, Saint Clair and Twilight Limited (I think).

I have photographs of these events and the changing of Amtrak power over the years in my book Chronicles of a Michigan Railfan: Passenger Trains Book 1.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

CR900945 wrote:Do the Chargers make any noise other than the horns?
By the name "Charger", you'd think the Siemens unit might be battery powered, but alas, it isn't. Per wiki:
The Charger is powered by a Cummins 16-cylinder QSK95 4-stroke high speed diesel engine, which is designed to meet EPA Tier IV emissions standards that took effect in 2015.[4] Power output varies by model; the SCB-40 produces 4,000 hp (3,000 kW),[5][6] while the SC-44 produces 4,400 hp (3,300 kW).
So yes, it makes noise by other means than just the horn.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

kd_1014
Mike

Unread post by kd_1014 »

~Z~ wrote:
CR900945 wrote:Do the Chargers make any noise other than the horns?
By the name "Charger", you'd think the Siemens unit might be battery powered, but alas, it isn't. Per wiki:
The Charger is powered by a Cummins 16-cylinder QSK95 4-stroke high speed diesel engine, which is designed to meet EPA Tier IV emissions standards that took effect in 2015.[4] Power output varies by model; the SCB-40 produces 4,000 hp (3,000 kW),[5][6] while the SC-44 produces 4,400 hp (3,300 kW).
So yes, it makes noise by other means than just the horn.
That thing sounds like a tunnel motor in N8 when I got on 371 back in March of 2019. Super loud

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

They are definitely very quiet compared to a typical GE or EMD, even when working hard. They're starting to grow on me in the looks department. I also like that they brought back the strobe lights on them.

I also hear that they are not very ergonomic to run and most engineers don't like them.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

Manistique wrote:The first P42 "Genesis" locomotive as we called them appeared in Michigan on May 2, 1995...
The first regularly scheduled train out of Pontiac was May 5, 1995.
That was actually 1994 (Detroit Free Press, 5/3/94, p. 1B).

A Charger sounds like a city bus.

dmitzel
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by dmitzel »

Manistique wrote:At some point they named all the trains Wolverines. Before each train had a name: Wolverine, Saint Clair and Twilight Limited (I think).
The middle train was The Lake Cities, which I thought was odd as that name was from a discontinued Erie-Lackawanna train from Chicago-Hoboken.
D.M. Mitzel
Div. 8-NCR-NMRA
Oxford, Mich.

Todd Cline
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd Cline »

I don't get trackside much these days, I haven't seen one of these new "Chargers", but I've heard they are pretty quiet, and don't have much "Personality".. I hated the "Barneys" when they showed up in the 1990's But now, I'll probably miss them. At least they SOUNDED like a locomotive And I have ridden behind them at 110 MPH. Of course, Nothing beats an EMD E-8..... With Steam heat to the cars, and all the atmosphere that goes with it. You might notice I have omitted mentioning the F-40-PH. Enough said.

Todd

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

350 had #62 leading today. It was okay. I took a picture of it in Pontiac.

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

#352 had a Charger on each end yesterday.
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline