Drunk man survives train crash in Detroit

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Garry K
Railroadfan...fan

Drunk man survives train crash in Detroit

Unread post by Garry K »

"Highly intoxicated" man survives train crash on Detroit's west side. https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/ ... 139190001/

Apparently the guy was in his car that was just sitting on the CSX tracks at Joy Rd (just east of the Southfield Expressway) in Detroit.

The article says that an average of 12 CSX trains pass through there each day. Do they really have that many trains there?

That's also pretty close to where the CSX tracks cross over the Southfield Expressway at West Chicago (in Detroit). The then C&O tracks over the Southfield Expressway is where I first watched trains as a kid in the 1960s. I used to sometimes ride my bike there to watch the evening passenger trains heading westbound from downtown Detroit pass by.

Garry K

blueheron13
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Drunk man survives train crash in Detroit

Unread post by blueheron13 »

That seems like a reasonable estimate for number of trains. Most days should have EB Q328, WB Q329, EB Q150, WB Q151, EB D701, WB D702, EB Q508, and WB Q509. Then there are D717 or D737 (sometimes both in one day) running out and back from Detroit to Plymouth/Novi/Wixom. Plus a handful of autorack trains (which can be running light engine through Detroit) heading to or from New Boston. Also, freight needs to be transported between Rougemere Yard and Oak Yard for the West Detroit Branch.
Amateur railfan trying to become a real railfan since 2017.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

I worked at Oak yard for a few years back in the 70s, before bidding in a Mon thru Friday job at Wixom. Oak used to be a busy place.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

C&O Dispatcher
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by C&O Dispatcher »

We used to have to record the time at Oak on our train sheet in Saginaw for the Rouge-Sag and Rouge-Toledo trains in each direction. The operator at Plymouth or Rouge Telegraph gave it to us. I think that's where their initial or final terminal delay ended and began. Sometimes we also had the road switchers out of Wayne or Lincoln make a trip to Oak and return.