Equipment for Fermi plant to be shipped by rail from Monroe?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
blueheron13
Railroadfan...fan

Equipment for Fermi plant to be shipped by rail from Monroe?

Unread post by blueheron13 »

In the Toledo Area Railfans FB group, news was posted about a nearly completed rail spur in the Port of Monroe. I went to the Port of Monroe FB page, scrolled down and found a link to this article:
https://www.monroenews.com/news/2019061 ... ur-project

Reading the article, it sounds like some heavy equipment for the Fermi plant may be shipped via rail from Monroe. That would be interesting to see!

Also, some pictures of the new spur can be found on the Port of Monroe Facebook page.
Amateur railfan trying to become a real railfan since 2017.

jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Equipment for Fermi plant to be shipped by rail from Mon

Unread post by jimnorthwood »

Tell me what I am missing here but Fermi already has its own rail line leading into the facility, doesn't it?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I was wondering the same thing.
jimnorthwood wrote:Tell me what I am missing here but Fermi already has its own rail line leading into the facility, doesn't it?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

I think what's left unsaid is that it's coming by water into Monroe. No facilities at DTE to unload from water.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks DaveO.

This quote from the article caught my attention. “We manage, and market and handle all synthetic gypsum produced at the Monroe Power Plant,” LaMarre said. “Much of it travels by rail and this offers us an ondock solution to load out gypsum so that it can reach customers within the rail network." Are they talking about flyash?
DaveO wrote:I think what's left unsaid is that it's coming by water into Monroe. No facilities at DTE to unload from water.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

blueheron13
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by blueheron13 »

DaveO wrote:I think what's left unsaid is that it's coming by water into Monroe. No facilities at DTE to unload from water.
That was my take also. Unloaded on this new spur in Monroe, then transported north (on the Shoreline Sub maybe?) to the track that leads to Fermi.
Amateur railfan trying to become a real railfan since 2017.