Hope for CN’s Orion spur?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
dmitzel
Railroadfan...fan

Hope for CN’s Orion spur?

Unread post by dmitzel »

Not sure if this could mean auto racks on the old PO&N but one can hope.

https://www.rtands.com/freight/canadian ... artnership
D.M. Mitzel
Div. 8-NCR-NMRA
Oxford, Mich.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Hope for CN’s Orion spur?

Unread post by AARR »

Doesn't look like there's any production at Orion right now but I think something is scheduled later (electric vehicles perhaps?).

I'd like to see the new warehouse east of Flint get rail service.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

AARR wrote:Doesn't look like there's any production at Orion right now
Huh? It builds the Chevrolet Sonic, the Chevy Bolt electric and the Cruise experimental autonomous car.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I drive by the loading ramps several times a week and haven't seen anything in the lot in a while
Steve B wrote:
Huh? It builds the Chevrolet Sonic, the Chevy Bolt electric and the Cruise experimental autonomous car.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

AARR wrote:I drive by the loading ramps several times a week and haven't seen anything in the lot in a while
Steve B wrote:

I wonder if they are on a shutdown which would explain the lack of cars at the ramp. Also, I wonder if they are simply loaded onto trucks as they exit the door for the trip to New Boston where they were being loaded.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

The lot was empty long before the standard shutdown. Seems like at least several months since anything was in the new vehicle lot.

Also, you are correct they truck the vehicles to a ramp (somewhere) to load onto rail cars. But like I said the lot has been empty for a while.
AARR wrote:I drive by the loading ramps several times a week and haven't seen anything in the lot in a while
Steve B wrote:

I wonder if they are on a shutdown which would explain the lack of cars at the ramp. Also, I wonder if they are simply loaded onto trucks as they exit the door for the trip to New Boston where they were being loaded.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Is this the line that goes past Great Lakes Crossing?

Was always in awe at the size of the Joslyn Rd. Crossing
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Yes
MQT1223 wrote:Is this the line that goes past Great Lakes Crossing?

Was always in awe at the size of the Joslyn Rd. Crossing

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Unread post by conrailmike »

Orion Assembly barely runs one shift at the moment, they build the Bolt, Verano, Sonic, and autonomous vehicles. Finished vehicles have been loaded on trucks since back around 2009 or so. The new GM warehouse in Flint will never see rail service, there's no need for it as it's just a parts processing/sorting facility to help dealers get parts faster. The new warehouse is just a newer and bigger facility to replace the old one down the road in Burton.