C&M Standard Lumber

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
kd_1014
Mike

C&M Standard Lumber

Unread post by kd_1014 »

It seems like Standard Lumber in Walker is getting more shipments recently. I've driven past there I'd say every 2 weeks and they usually have 1-2 cars getting loaded/unloaded(?). Not sure if they load or unload the lumber cars for shipping or receiving? Anyways, the C&M is getting some more carloads for revenue!

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: C&M Standard Lumber

Unread post by AARR »

They unload lumber and yes the carloads are up significantly
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

Loads are about the same, just more bunched up than the past. Delivered 4 at one time once this winter, a couple 3's.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

RDD, Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought in the past they'd get around 10ish a year and lately it's been around 50 a year.
Raildudes dad wrote:Loads are about the same, just more bunched up than the past. Delivered 4 at one time once this winter, a couple 3's.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

KenB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KenB »

Well it looks like the sales staff for C&M lumber has been doing a good job of selling their service and product but with cars all bunched up it seems as if CSX is not doing a good job at their only product, service.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

The cars come from NS via Grand Elk as well.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

No sales staff at the CPMY, just a Freight Manager who tracks inbounds. He also has marketed the line to many companies over the years. Only ever got 18 storage cars for a few months. Standard is an old Wickes Lumber retail location converted by them to a truss plant. Wickes closed up shop and Standard bought it and runs a truss plant there.
They get cars from BC, Thunder Bay, NE ON, Quebec about as far east as rail goes. Some of the loads are ferried across the St Lawrence from Baie Comeau to Matane. Cars also come from SC, AL and AR. A couple new origins are Hudson Bay and TX.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Raildudes dad wrote:No sales staff at the CPMY, just a Freight Manager who tracks inbounds. He also has marketed the line to many companies over the years. Only ever got 18 storage cars for a few months. Standard is an old Wickes Lumber retail location converted by them to a truss plant. Wickes closed up shop and Standard bought it and runs a truss plant there.
They get cars from BC, Thunder Bay, NE ON, Quebec about as far east as rail goes. Some of the loads are ferried across the St Lawrence from Baie Comeau to Matane. Cars also come from SC, AL and AR. A couple new origins are Hudson Bay and TX.
Will they ever build more of those Spine Cars on the railroad? That was an interesting haul for sure.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

MQT1223 wrote:Will they ever build more of those Spine Cars on the railroad? That was an interesting haul for sure.
I seem to recall that a bunch were built just before the economy tanked about a decade ago. The yard in Durand was full of empty centerbeam flatcars during one of our meets back then.

I'd be surprised to see new cars built in substantial numbers before the current cars wear out.
~ Charles W.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

GreatLakesRailfan wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:Will they ever build more of those Spine Cars on the railroad? That was an interesting haul for sure.
I seem to recall that a bunch were built just before the economy tanked about a decade ago. The yard in Durand was full of empty centerbeam flatcars during one of our meets back then.

I'd be surprised to see new cars built in substantial numbers before the current cars wear out.
He means the maintenance-of-way slot cars which were built a couple summers ago.

And no, that was kinda a one-time deal. Perhaps it could be repeated, obviously if somebody orders another trainset and the logistics dictate that a place is needed to set them up.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow