Battle Creek customers....one less customer

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
arty flowers
Railroadfan...fan

Battle Creek customers....one less customer

Unread post by arty flowers »

This news really sucks but Treehouse Foods will be closing the old Ralston Purina plant in June. How many more customers remain in bc for CN and NS. Is Treehouse the biggest customer?

https://www.powderbulksolids.com/news/T ... UXVBxBIIic

dave989
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Battle Creek customers....one less customer

Unread post by dave989 »

Not many customers in Battle Creek anymore. Post , Kelloggs and what was St. Regis Paper. Most of that business is trucked. CN must be too expensive on their car rates. I thought it was bad when I moved from there years ago, but now its getting worse.

1TrackMind
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 1TrackMind »

Reconserve, Graphic Packaging and westrock. Did treehouse even get cars? Most of their tracks look unused.

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

For food processors, their outbound loads are heading to grocery warehouses which are operating almost like auto plants, with just in time delivery. Most anything that would come inbound to a food processor can be handled at the bulk transfer.....no need to spot cars at the individual facility.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

1TrackMind wrote:Reconserve, Graphic Packaging and westrock. Did treehouse even get cars? Most of their tracks look unused.
Yes, Treehouse received inbound cars. Things must be slowing down as I have not seen one parked out there in a few weeks.
They were using a trackmobile to switch cars in and out of the plant.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

At one time Purina had a few tracks into the plant. I don't know how many are still there but when I saw an occasional car it was on an outside spur.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

dave989
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by dave989 »

It used to get switched by a local almost daily until CN car rates and the city of Battle Creek made life harder for R. P. Plus the smell of cereal and pet food will be gone from the nearby Amtrack station.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

dave989 wrote:It used to get switched by a local almost daily until CN car rates and the city of Battle Creek made life harder for R. P. Plus the smell of cereal and pet food will be gone from the nearby Amtrack station.
How did the city make things hard for R.P.?

And the smell of paperboard from Graphic Packaging has been the norm by the Amtrak station for a while now.

dave989
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by dave989 »

.How did the city make things hard for R.P.?

And the smell of paperboard from Graphic Packaging has been the norm by the Amtrak station for a while now.[/quote]
Industries have been leaving Battle Creek. The list would take forever to go thru. I was working for Clark Equipment back in
the 70s and the city fathers have offered little in the way of incentives to stay. They left for Kentucky, I left for Grand Rapids.
When I visit, it smells like cereal when I go to the Amtrak station when the wind is out of the west. You can bust my chops all you want but
there is no denying Battle Creek has lost a lot while other cities have done better at attracting business in Michigan.