Carleton observations

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Eric Berger
Railroadfan...fan

Carleton observations

Unread post by Eric Berger »

Yesterday, I went to Carleton. As I crossed the railroad in town, I noted something.

Seems like CN is getting ready to replace the signals at the diamond finally; I saw new signals next to the old ones; the new ones were turned to the side. They must have just put those up, as I hadn't seen them when I was last there about twelve days prior. Those old signals look terrible; I'm surprised that they lasted this long!

Also, noted a few intermodal containers next to the CSX main, between Ash St. and the start of the Lincoln Secondary.

Finally, at about 1740 or so, I noted a mixed freight (LOTS of tank cars) train headed up the CN toward Flat Rock through Carleton, headed by two NS locomotives. Seems like they've been running trains during the afternoon up there lately, the past couple of times I've been to Carleton.

Just a couple of observations that I noted recently.
"From a really tall tower, in the middle of a really big field..."

Eric Berger
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Carleton observations

Unread post by Eric Berger »

Went back on Wednesday 13 February. This time I noted that they seemed to be building new signal towers on the CSX, south of the diamond; to me, it looks like they're putting in those overhead signals there.

Seems like they just replaced the signals on the CSX not too long ago.

The new signals on the CN (At the diamond) were not active yet.

Finally, Wednesday seemed to be a fairly busy day on the CN in Carleton; saw a northbound CN at about 1315 or so, then what appeared to be the I&O about an hour later. Which interested me, because the morning run passed by at about 630 or so, then I thought I heard something pass by around 1000 or so.

Once again, just my personal observations.
"From a really tall tower, in the middle of a really big field..."

arty flowers
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Carleton observations

Unread post by arty flowers »

NS just has the over to and back as CN 585 that runs to Bellevue and back via Toledo and back to Flat Rock. And the I&O still runs three times a week but traffic seems to be picking up out of Flat Rock.