NS Boat Yard Abandonment

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

NS Boat Yard Abandonment

Unread post by jimnorthwood »

https://www.stb.gov/decisions/readingro ... /46642.pdf

It sounds like CSX will retain its rights to operate Boat Yard.

blueheron13
Railroadfan...fan

Re: NS Boat Yard Abandonment

Unread post by blueheron13 »

The original filing is in a 65-page PDF on this page and contains additional info and maps. One map clearly shows which tracks are under NS jurisdiction, which are under CSX jurisdiction, and which are under joint jurisdiction. There is also some historical detail that goes back to 1881.

https://www.stb.gov/Filings/all.nsf/WEB ... enDocument
Amateur railfan trying to become a real railfan since 2017.

zintac
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by zintac »

Sad to see this line falling to the wayside. These tracks east of DelRay where at one time the busiest rail in Detroit. 4 main lines with the center 2 for heavy passenger service from the Wabash, Per Marquette(C&O), and the Pennsylvania railroad. The line in 1936 had well over 45+ customers with interchanges with DT&I, MCRR, and Delray connecting. I have been studying this line for years now. When i get around to building my train layout it will be based on this prototype.
Long Live the C&O

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

My grandmother lived on Hubbard near Lafayette, back in the 40s. When I stayed at my grandmothers house from time to time, she would always take me and my brother to watch trains, down at the end of West Grand Blvd and the railroad. It was indeed busy back then, and we would usually catch the Pere Marquette streamliner coming into the Fort Street Union station. I can recall the steam locomotives and the smaller SW diesel switchers going to and from the boat yard with the drags. The gates were not automatic at that crossing. There was a tower with a watchman in it that would put the gates down. I still remember laying awake at night, and hearing the steamers switch the boatyard. And both my father and grandfather worked at Timken Axle company, on Fort street at Clark, which backed up to the railroad tracks. It was wall to wall heavy industry along that stretch back in the 40s and 50s. And a little farther west was the produce terminal, which also generated a lot of business for the railroads.

For those who are interested, this is an excellent book on the area and the times. With plenty of pictures.
https://www.arizonahobbies.com/Tracksid ... p_780.html
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

fmilhaupt
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by fmilhaupt »

zintac wrote:Sad to see this line falling to the wayside. These tracks east of DelRay where at one time the busiest rail in Detroit. 4 main lines with the center 2 for heavy passenger service from the Wabash, Per Marquette(C&O), and the Pennsylvania railroad. The line in 1936 had well over 45+ customers with interchanges with DT&I, MCRR, and Delray connecting. I have been studying this line for years now. When i get around to building my train layout it will be based on this prototype.
The layout I was planning in the mid-1990s was going to be the Union Belt from FSUD to Delray. I went so far as to spend a day at the UM Maps library copying the Sanborn maps for that stretch. I probably still have them around here somewhere. They'll go to the PMHS Archives at some point.
-Fritz Milhaupt