New Coach at the Southern Michigan Railroad!

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Wolf Harper
Railroadfan...fan

New Coach at the Southern Michigan Railroad!

Unread post by Wolf Harper »

I'm pleased to announce that a "new" coach has arrived at the Southern Michigan Railroad.

This is a genuine New York Central "MU" commuter car, which operated in electric territory on the Hudson and Harem lines. 353 cars were made (in several styles) and only 3 of this style survive - the other two are nearby at the Toledo, Lake Erie & Western.

Since the Southern Michigan Railroad is a New York Central branchline (you might guess from our logo!) we naturally value New York Central history. It's a homecoming for the car, and that's a pretty big deal.

Read more of the backstory here on SMRS's web page.

Donations to support the project are muchly appreciated!!

The Southern Michigan Railroad Society is a 501(c)(3) public charity whose mission is preserving the Jackson Branch Railroad from Clinton to Lenawee Junction. (donations are tax deductible if you itemize). If you've been watching SMRS, you know money has been a real struggle and there hasn't really been funding to maintain 13 miles of track. I helped increase the publicity to fill the trains... and crews have worked really hard to add trains. This has tripled revenue and then some, but SMRS is max'ed out with only 84 indoor seats on the train. This car is a game-changer because it adds another 100.
PC1291-interiorAtCarthage-phRobertMacDowell.jpg
The purchase and move was funded by the Friends of the Southern Michigan Railroad, which is also a 501(c)(3) public charity, and a supporting organization obviously to SMRS. The purpose of the Friends is to take on large projects that wouldn't make sense for SMRS, because SMRS needs to spend its money elsewhere (repairs will always be a priority), or it wants to stay focused on SMRS projects. Two separate nonprofits mean business risk is separated - troubles at SMRS can't drag down the Friends, and Friends problems don't place SMRS at any risk (like if this project failed). This is a case in point: SMRS should be spending all its money on track and equipment repair, and this coach would be a very hard decision for a responsible Board, even though the promotor is claiming it's a "golden goose". By acting separately, Friends broke the "log-jam" and got it done.
PC1291-over-trucks-phRobertMacDowell.jpg
Of course this still isn't free, and the single best way to support SMRS is to help the Friends organization pay for getting this golden goose home and fit for laying eggs. Every dollar you give to this project will earn SMRS at least $1.25 or possibly $2 every year the car is in use. It's the most powerful charity gift you can give.

http://www.southernmichiganrailroad.com ... tml#Donate

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: New Coach at the Southern Michigan Railroad!

Unread post by AARR »

Congratulations :D
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

iandt
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by iandt »

Nice looking car, I'm glad that you guys are taking the time to save this unique piece of NYC history! I really love the small PC logo, that's something that has generally been covered up and forgotten in the course of railroad restorations so far.

BerkshireKid
sofa king we todd

Unread post by BerkshireKid »

So is the car owned by the "Friends" or a private individual as stated in earlier posts? Seems like solicting for donations on a privately owned car is wrong. If the owner couldn't afford to buy, transport and restore the car why should others pay to fix up his/her toy?
Rule #1: BerkshireKid is God. Rule #2: God is always right. Rule #3: If you think you may actually be right refer to Rules #1 & #2.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

BerkshireKid wrote:So is the car owned by the "Friends" or a private individual as stated in earlier posts? Seems like solicting for donations on a privately owned car is wrong. If the owner couldn't afford to buy, transport and restore the car why should others pay to fix up his/her toy?
For the same reason people would donate to restore and maintain rolling stock at the Steam Railroading Institute or any other group preserving equipment.

BerkshireKid
sofa king we todd

Unread post by BerkshireKid »

The comparison between a nonprofit that actually owns the equipment that the donations goes towards to fix up and a railcar that is individually privately owned and on loan to a non profit is not an apples to apples comparison. Thanks though.
Rule #1: BerkshireKid is God. Rule #2: God is always right. Rule #3: If you think you may actually be right refer to Rules #1 & #2.

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

It is my understanding that the car is indeed owned by SMRS with the Friends organization financing and arranging transport and purchase of the car. The car is in need of some major sheet metal work before it can be operated with paying customers. The seats will need attention as well as well as peeling paint abatement.

Look for updates in the coming months concerning this work. Plans are still being formulated.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

A little off topic but whats up with the RS1 in Shepard. Every year when I work the Mt. Pleasant color train aways pay a visit. This year all the west side compartment doors were open on the engine, the baggage car was open ,box car and caboose too. Is there no caretaker at the depot anyore? All the wooden baggage carts were more worse for wear then a year ago. I thought SMRS was moving the RS1? This collection is on a downward spiral for sure, too bad.

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

Super Chief wrote:A little off topic but whats up with the RS1 in Shepard. Every year when I work the Mt. Pleasant color train aways pay a visit. This year all the west side compartment doors were open on the engine, the baggage car was open ,box car and caboose too. Is there no caretaker at the depot anyore? All the wooden baggage carts were more worse for wear then a year ago. I thought SMRS was moving the RS1? This collection is on a downward spiral for sure, too bad.

There are no plans at the SMRS for this locomotive that I know of. It is my understanding that the village of Shepard now runs the park, I would call and ask them.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"