Baraga/ L'Anse

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Baraga/ L'Anse

Unread post by NS3322 »

How often do trains run to Baraga? Does L'Anse get more traffic?

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Baraga/ L'Anse

Unread post by Doktor No »

Go to the "OTHER SITE' for updates michiganrailroads.com Go to the UP comment section for regular updates.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Tom Train
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tom Train »

All the business is in L"Anse. Logs are loaded at two different locations, the powerplant gets scrap ties, and CertainTeed receives cars.
The crew takes the power to Baraga to tie up across U.S.-41 from the hotel where they stay. They run out one day and back the next, all week long.
Track speed is 10mph from Euclid yard to Baraga.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Tom Train wrote:All the business is in L"Anse. Logs are loaded at two different locations, the powerplant gets scrap ties, and CertainTeed receives cars.
The crew takes the power to Baraga to tie up across U.S.-41 from the hotel where they stay. They run out one day and back the next, all week long.
Do they take a day off? Or is it a constant turn? If they do 3 turns a week, what days are they going east/west?

Also, what is track speed from L'Anse to Ishpeming?
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

SW
Rail Trail Explorer

Unread post by SW »

Saturnalia wrote:
Tom Train wrote:All the business is in L"Anse. Logs are loaded at two different locations, the powerplant gets scrap ties, and CertainTeed receives cars.
Do they take a day off? Or is it a constant turn? If they do 3 turns a week, what days are they going east/west?

Also, what is track speed from L'Anse to Ishpeming?
Euclid Yard is in Ishpeming. So 10 MPH the whole length as Tom Train said.
Owosso Steve

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Tom Train wrote:All the business is in L"Anse. Logs are loaded at two different locations, the powerplant gets scrap ties, and CertainTeed receives cars.The crew takes the power to Baraga to tie up across U.S.-41 from the hotel where they stay.
So is there no business in Baraga anymore? I thought the industrial park got lumber cars.

What time do they run to Baraga? I've heard it was between 10 p.m.

blackjack1518
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by blackjack1518 »

NS3322 wrote:
Tom Train wrote:All the business is in L"Anse. Logs are loaded at two different locations, the powerplant gets scrap ties, and CertainTeed receives cars.The crew takes the power to Baraga to tie up across U.S.-41 from the hotel where they stay.
So is there no business in Baraga anymore? I thought the industrial park got lumber cars.

What time do they run to Baraga? I've heard it was between 10 p.m.[/quote

No business in Baraga all for L'Anse. The L53981 Ishpeming to Baraga is called in am. I least this was the case in November last year.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

blackjack1518 wrote:No business in Baraga all for L'Anse. The L53981 Ishpeming to Baraga is called in am. I least this was the case in November last year.
So they pretty much only go to Baraga to stay in a hotel?

blackjack1518
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by blackjack1518 »

NS3322 wrote:
blackjack1518 wrote:No business in Baraga all for L'Anse. The L53981 Ishpeming to Baraga is called in am. I least this was the case in November last year.
So they pretty much only go to Baraga to stay in a hotel?
Yes they run power up light and tie-down across from hotel.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

So what does a normal day look like for them? Do they usually spend a good amount of time switching before they take off for Ishpeming? Do they go all the way to Escanaba or just to Ishpeming?

Might as well ask since we're on the subject...gonna be my main target for the next couple years ;)

Tom Train
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tom Train »

The Baraga train leaves Euclid yard around 7:00a. They will be delayed if they have to wait for Mineral Range to clear. When all works right, CN is wb by Champion between 9:30a and 10:00a . They do most of their switching upon arrival in L'Anse and finish up after their rest,before heading east. Back at Ishpeming, if time permits they will take their train to Partridge for the road train to forward to Gladstone. In the summer , they work at least three turns per week, but its not unusual to work Sunday ,also..
If you see a guy in a blue F-150 by the tracks, approach with caution. He is friendly and helpful, but still shoots 35mm slides.(Me).

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

It looks like CN has decided to discontinue service from L'Anse (MP 219) to Baraga (MP 223.9). The article states that this is not an abandonment, rather just a discontinuance of rail common carrier service over the line. This was posted in the L'Anse Sentinel last week.

It is my understanding that in the last few years they only ran the engine down to Baraga to stay in the hotel.
69962563_2645971942093114_3436044111054897152_n.jpg
The red line is the discontinued section of track. Everything in black will remain in use, for now.
tracks.JPG

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

NS3322 wrote:It is my understanding that in the last few years they only ran the engine down to Baraga to stay in the hotel.
Operations changed a couple years ago, with the L539 running Champion-L'anse-Champion twice-weekly, and the L540 running the other end to Partridge thrice-weekly. As such the crew no longer overnighted in L'Anse/Baraga.

Since then, the track was removed from service and left OOS. I guess this is just another step towards abandoning the line back to L'Anse, with no reason whatsoever to keep the line past L'Anse in the foreseeable future. They already removed the active warning devices from one of the two crossings in Baraga. The Michigan Tech rail program received the bell from one of the masts and now uses it for demonstration purposes :D

i995impalass
Yooper Foamer

Unread post by i995impalass »

2018 Father's Day flooding took out more than Houghton and places north. This section of rail saw a few major washouts from that same storm and CN made the repairs.

Weather Event 2018

I'd guess this didn't make the numbers look to good on the line and here we are, repaired rail with no traffic.