Potential Customers on the Sterling Secondary?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
MiddleMI
Railroadfan...fan

Potential Customers on the Sterling Secondary?

Unread post by MiddleMI »

The Detroit News had a story today on the resurgence of manufacturing in Sterling Heights. Particularly, the story features the Sterling Enterprise Park being developed on the former Sunnybrook Golf Course. This is directly across 17 Mile from Sterling Yard on the Sterling Secondary at Chrysler Sterling Assembly, and opposite Ford Sterling Axle, so I guess this industrial park would technically be on the Utical Industrial Track.
The Sterling Heights project, referred to as the Sterling Enterprise Park, is on the site of the former Sunnybrook Golf Course at 17 Mile and Van Dyke. It is the largest real estate development in the city since the construction in 1976 of Lakeside Mall at Schoenherr and Hall, according to city officials.

“The Sunnybrook development gives manufacturers space to grow. This is something that was really needed,” said Melissa Roy, executive director of Advancing Macomb, a nonprofit focused on integrating economic and community development in the county. “Macomb (County) is the third county in the nation for manufacturing growth since 2009. This speaks volumes about not only Macomb County, but the Greater Detroit area.”

Located in the Sterling Heights manufacturing corridor, the land for the development has been zoned industrial and will offer build-to-suit opportunities, and include two new hotels.

Once developed and occupied, the enterprise park could generate annual property taxes of around $800,000, according to the city, in contrast to the closed Sunnybrook Golf Course, which generated $168,000 a year in taxes.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/l ... /78266348/
Apparently, it will break ground in the spring. Maybe we'll see new customers since it's right on the line? Or is it more likely this stuff will rely on the truckign industry? Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Potential Customers on the Sterling Secondary?

Unread post by AARR »

If it weren't for the Chrysler Assembly plant there wouldn't be much else north of Warren Assembly.

I haven't seen any cars at the Detroit News plant or Ford Transmission in a while. Ford Transmission had a scrap conveyor removed from the southwest corner of the building where they used to load gondola's. There's still another scrap loading dock on the south side of the building but they haven't loaded anything in a while nor have there been any tank cars there either.

Ford Axle has cars on the siding inside their property line but I haven't seen them move in a while either.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

wagnew0923
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by wagnew0923 »

This weekend I saw four box cars at Detroit News. They mostly come at night...mostly

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

This is whats coming to the Sunnybrook Golf Course on the Sterling Secondary..A Plastics plant.
http://www.plasticsnews.com/article/201 ... n-michigan
Exit stage left

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

This is slightly off topic but I was listening to a story on WJR about Michigan golf courses and I guess they peaked at over 1,000 about 10-15 years ago and have been declining since.
The number is around 650 public golf courses now.
http://www.michigan.org/golf/

Fred
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Fred »

Yea, at one time the state of Michigan had more golf courses than ANY other state in the country !

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I think MI still leads in auto production but I'm not sure if it's as high a margin as in the past
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

wagnew0923 wrote:This weekend I saw four box cars at Detroit News. They mostly come at night...mostly
Usually switched by 1st trick Sterling Job WS-11 or WS-20 in the morning

joeyuboats
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by joeyuboats »

The plastics place does not get rail, but a new customer near 18 mile get truck frames, then loads them on flatbed to go across 17 Mile to the Dodge Ram plant. They have 2 or 3 tracks outside, and 1 into the building.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Shuert by Hall Road receives its plastic pellets by rail. Which plant are you referring to that doesn't receive rail service?
joeyuboats wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:24 pm
The plastics place does not get rail, but a new customer near 18 mile get truck frames, then loads them on flatbed to go across 17 Mile to the Dodge Ram plant. They have 2 or 3 tracks outside, and 1 into the building.

joeyuboats
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by joeyuboats »

Yes--Schuert DOES get rail---I was referring to the new plastic plant---forgot the name on 17 Mile, where Sunnybrook Golf course was.It is only a few years old.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Ok, Mitchell Plastics is the name IIRC
joeyuboats wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:33 pm
Yes--Schuert DOES get rail---I was referring to the new plastic plant---forgot the name on 17 Mile, where Sunnybrook Golf course was.It is only a few years old.