Durand MI again

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Durand MI again

Unread post by CSXBOY »

HI I really need some help, My mother says that we will go to durand with my grandma and grandpa for a weekend in May. I really need the schedule Because my mother keeps asking me when are the busiest times so we can do other things like go to Frankenmuth. I am leaving school right at the end of 5th hour Because 6th hour is not that important its just an elective. I really need the schedule or the busiest times because its starting to get annoying. Can you please send me a schedule? if you can that would be awesome.

thanks

Graeme Case

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: Durand MI again

Unread post by Saturnalia »

There isn't a true schedule, especially this far out in time. Basically, expect Durand to be a lull Amtrak hours, averaging one train an hour or less.

If you're looking for a true hotspot worth hanging out for two days, make it something in NW Ohio or Indiana. Literally anything on the Chicago Line, Fostoria or Deshler would make a better bet for a trip.

But if Durand is the call, don't expect it to produce oodles of trains. Go on a day when the station is open. Prepare to chase HESR to and from Durand. Things like that. Probably better as a day trip.

Trust me...I did a day at Durand and there was a whole lot of nothing for most of the day!
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

GTWwatcher
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTWwatcher »

Like Saturnalia said, there really isn't a schedule, which is unfortunate. It varies every day how many trains you'll see. One day you could see six trains in three hours, the next day you could see nothing in three hours.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

How ironic that CN considers itself the best at running a scheduled railroad is still not predictable at a main location on its line. :lol:
GTWwatcher wrote:Like Saturnalia said, there really isn't a schedule, which is unfortunate.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

Remember CN is the NAFTA railroad. Which means Not A Frickin Train Anywhere.
I sorry I forgot this is a PG13 website.

GTWwatcher
Railroadfan...fan

:lol: :lol:
AARR wrote:How ironic that CN considers itself the best at running a scheduled railroad is still not predictable at a main location on its line. :lol:
GTWwatcher wrote:Like Saturnalia said, there really isn't a schedule, which is unfortunate.

CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXBOY »

I been to Fostoria and deshler many times. If there is no schedule Can Someone please tell me the buesiest times or the symbols

CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXBOY »

Is the flint sub busier east of flint or west of flint

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

It doesn't matter. The same number of trains operate on both sides of Flint.

If you meant Durand more trains operate west of Durand.
CSXBOY wrote:Is the flint sub busier east of flint or west of flint
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXBOY »

Someone told me that fridays are the best. is that true?

GTWwatcher
Railroadfan...fan

CSXBOY wrote:Someone told me that fridays are the best. is that true?
It really depends. Your best bet would probably be to go between 12-5 in the afternoon. That's when I usually catch the most trains. But again, it's unpredictable. The next day it could be busiest in the morning.

CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXBOY »

is the Davison rail fan on here Because he knows Durand alot

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

CSXBOY wrote:is the Davison rail fan on here Because he knows Durand alot
Look, I know you desperately want an answer to your question in detailed format like an Amtrak timetable, but that isn't gonna happen because it's a freight railroad. Go to Durand knowing train counts in daylight are ~1 per hour with the peak lull between 9 and noon usually, but also through the afternoon. Leaving at any given time for an hour in daylight won't lose you much if even anything. It isn't like you can predict 4 trains one hour and none the next.

There is an element of chance and circumstance to railfanning. Accept your odds and deal with it. That's just how it goes.

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

The important thing is that you go. Can't see anything if you don't go. Go out, have a good time, and report back to us what you see and find. :D
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

I'm sure there is a schedule. Just depends on how good CN is at sticking to it. Too many operating metrics that rely on a schedule to get a feel for how well the railroad is running, or not running. Most railroads measure originations, velocity, and arrival times (on top of a lot of car metrics).

So, just go and see how well the CN is sticking to their best case scenario schedule.

CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXBOY »

i got a plan I will get to Durand on Friday afternoon railfan for a bit then check into my hotel at 4:30-5:00 pm have dinner go back to rail-fanning at around 6:30 pm then go to bed at 9:30 pm. get up early go to Frankenmuth. On the way back I am going to stop by Davison to check out the progress of their new viewing platform Then I will go back to durand to railfan some more then go to bed at 9:30 pm and then get up early to do some railfanning if nothing is coming then We will go home

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

Jetlink wrote:The important thing is that you go. Can't see anything if you don't go. Go out, have a good time, and report back to us what you see and find.
I know I'm late to the party, but this is the best advice you can get.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Based on the thread on the topic, the construction has not begun on the Davison railfan platform.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

CSXBOY wrote:i got a plan I will get to Durand on Friday afternoon railfan for a bit then check into my hotel at 4:30-5:00 pm have dinner go back to rail-fanning at around 6:30 pm then go to bed at 9:30 pm. get up early go to Frankenmuth. On the way back I am going to stop by Davison to check out the progress of their new viewing platform Then I will go back to durand to railfan some more then go to bed at 9:30 pm and then get up early to do some railfanning if nothing is coming then We will go home
Did you make this plan based on the wealth of information you gleaned from this thread?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

pbmaxno15
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pbmaxno15 »

Just a reminder that you have a 40 minute drive each way between F-muth and Durand. You are going to spend almost as much time on the road as you are watching trains. Another note, unless you plan on going to a drive-thru, you will not be in and out of a F-muth restaurant in under an hour on a Friday night. Try your best to avoid using the Birch Run Road/I-75 interchange. It is very busy, and can lead to quite a wait. Just a "heads up".