Car V Train Sawyer Mi

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Firemedic Mike
Railroadfan...fan

Car V Train Sawyer Mi

Unread post by Firemedic Mike »

A car vs. train in Chikaming Twp. today, just outside Sawyer at Three Oaks Rd. Sounds like the gates were down for a stopped train, a driver tried to go around and got stuck, and then fled as the car was struck by a second train. From Chikaming Twp. PD:

March 28th, 2015

Chikaming Township Police Department

Press Release

On March 28th, 2015, at around 6AM, Officer Enders of the Chikaming Township Police Department, along with the Chikaming Township Fire Department were dispatched to a train versus car crash. The crash took place on the railroad tracks, located on Three Oaks Road, in Sawyer, MI.

Details surrounding the crash were that a motorist, traveling southbound on Three Oaks Road, approached the railroad crossing. The railroad signals were on and the railroad arms were down and flashing. Part of the train's boxcar was within Three Oaks Road. The Three Oaks Road Railroad Tracks are a two part track system. The train that was stopped was on one set of tracks; however, the other set of tracks were still operational for other moving trains.

The motorist attempted to go around the railroad signal arms and the train's boxcar. In that attempt to get around the train's boxcar, the motorist's vehicle became stuck on the railroad tracks.

An eastbound train traveling on the operational Three Oaks Railroad Tracks saw the vehicle stuck on the tracks; however, the train was not able to stop in time and collided with the stuck motor vehicle.

No one was inside of the vehicle when the collision took place as the driver of the motor vehicle fled the scene. No one was injured. Anyone with information regarding the identity of the driver of this motor vehicle is encouraged to contact the Chikaming Township Police Department at: 1-866-630-7679.
I save lives. What do you do?

justin_gram
Authority on Rabbit

Re: Car V Train Sawyer Mi

Unread post by justin_gram »

A train with a boxcar was in the siding... Must have been a Q335 or Q327 waiting for the Q326, who hit the vehicle, to go by. I don't think any of them ran last night, though. No other trains on the GRS consist of a "boxcar" other than weekDAY(only daytime and usually only Monday Wendnesday
Friday) D700.

If they ment a gondola, then it could have been the N903, but their would be no reason to hold a eastbound from another eastbound...

Too bad I didn't plug my scanner in last night. Would have known the exact trains that went through.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Pretty sure Q327 that I chased had a boxcar. It was shorter, and would have been about that length from Three Oaks to WE Sawyer. That's probably out guy then. Coal trains are too long, they foul Three Oaks of stopped between the ends.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

justin_gram
Authority on Rabbit

Unread post by justin_gram »

MQT3001 wrote:Pretty sure Q327 that I chased had a boxcar. It was shorter, and would have been about that length from Three Oaks to WE Sawyer. That's probably out guy then. Coal trains are too long, they foul Three Oaks of stopped between the ends.
Right... Q327 went through Vine last night west at 23:05 EDT, had 314 axles at the detector. I bet they died at Sawyer, and they didn't compleatly clear the x-ing.

Trains with more than 300 axles... Make sure you clear 3 Oaks Rd! :)

At least no one got injured or killed.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Keep in mind, to the media a "boxcar" could be any type of rail car. Also, if you park a train on a track, it apparently becomes "non-operational". And what the heck is a railroad arm? :lol:
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

SD80MAC wrote:And what the heck is a railroad arm? :lol:
Doesn't it say railroad signal arm? :P
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

rob
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rob »

Q326 was in the siding and N903 was passing it on the main

Rob