In memorandum RIP MM #24

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

In memorandum RIP MM #24

Unread post by MQT1223 »

If anyone hasn't noticed yet, it was reported that it is looking like G&W is going to replace Mid Michigan #24 with CF&E #3885. Our resident GP9 is down for the count... hopefully where ever she goes next will spare her the cutting torch. CPMY hopefully you get a new toy soon, regardless if it is 100% operational or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MUCnsXpnGM

This is most likely the LAST time #24 was recorded in operation, as I cannot find anything newer then in the last week.

How many photo's and videos can we link to this thread with #24? I have at least two video's with no photo's. I will be heading north tomorrow to catch her successor in action as well as a now retired (supposedly) #24.

Built as Northern Pacific #368 in June of 1958, #368 went through the Burlington Northern Merger and renumbered to 1947, was rebuilt and had her nose chopped and wore the BN's green paint scheme until she was sold to the Cape Cod and Hyannis Railroad, a tourist railroad in the late 70's early 80's in Massachusetts. In the early 90's she was purchased by the Mid Michigan Railroad and returned to freight service with her new and final number, wearing the CC&H paint until almost the new millennium. Around that time she was repainted a final time and shortly after transferred to the Grand Rapids and Eastern. #24 faithfully worked under Rail America until the company was bought out by Genesee and Wyoming in 2012. Now in February of 2015, #24 ran her possible last run on Friday, February 13th when after that GP38-2 #3885 took her place in the engine house at Fuller Jct. on Monday.

RIP NP #368/BN #1947/CC&H #1947/MM (GRE) #24
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: In memorandum RIP MM #24

Unread post by Saturnalia »

I'll add this one to the piece here.

I don't think it is necessary to write the unit off just yet based on what I've heard, though it is certainly quite possible she is done on the GRE.

Her diposition will be down to what G&W might have a use for her, or to the highest bidder, scrap or railroad.
Last edited by Saturnalia on Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

If the unit runs well enough in sure it can find a home. I wouldn't bet on it getting "preserved" in a museum or anything but it should find work on a short line somewhere.. (I heard MiTrain needed locos :twisted: )

And btw in my mind "In memorandum RIP" is a wee bit extreme for the reassignment of a locomotive... Just sayin :lol:
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EWRice »

I did not say she was dead beyond repair. She actually needs only minor repairs (in the big picture) and could run under her own power for a short distance. That unit is in very good condition, but corporate wants to stick with newer units. My understanding is that the gre/ms employees really like that unit. I am sure it will see many more years of service somewhere.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Geez, they don't even know what they're going to do with the engine yet and you start a memorial thread. Give me a break.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

SD80MAC wrote:Geez, they don't even know what they're going to do with the engine yet and you start a memorial thread. Give me a break.
:lol:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

EWRice wrote:I did not say she was dead beyond repair. She actually needs only minor repairs (in the big picture) and could run under her own power for a short distance. That unit is in very good condition, but corporate wants to stick with newer units. My understanding is that the gre/ms employees really like that unit. I am sure it will see many more years of service somewhere.
J T wrote:
SD80MAC wrote:Geez, they don't even know what they're going to do with the engine yet and you start a memorial thread. Give me a break.
:lol:
Hopefully the unit stays close. I have grown very fond of #24, and I hate to see it go somewhere else. It's one of the older locomotives on G&W's roster.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Bulby
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Bulby »

Any idea what she needs, maintenance and repairs wise?
Apparently I work on GEs now...

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

The 8888 is a whole different can of worms...I laugh everytime somebody claims to know its diposition. Some say it is going to become a SD40-3. Some say it has already been shipped out for it. Some theorize it was already scrapped. Some say it is going to be scrapped. Some say they'll re-activate it this year (as they say every year), and some say it ran away to join the UFOs.

All we know is, they're all wrong, and it is still sitting in Huntington, rusting away, like it has for the last several years.
Last edited by Saturnalia on Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

MQT3001 wrote:The 8888 is a whole different can of worms...I laugh everytime somebody claims to know its deposition. Some say it is going to become a SD40-3. Some say it has already been shipped out for it. Some theorize it was already scrapped. Some say it is going to be scrapped. Some say they'll re-activate it this year (as they say every year), and some say it ran away to join the UFOs.

All we know is, they're all wrong, and it is still sitting in Huntington, rusting away, like it has for the last several years.
I thought somebody CLAIMED to know its deposition. :wink:

cfriedri
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by cfriedri »

Wait when you guys say deposition do you actually mean disposition? You're throwing me off a bit with your terminology.
Connor

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

cfriedri wrote:Wait when you guys say deposition do you actually mean disposition? You're throwing me off a bit with your terminology.
Oh oooops! No sworn statements here! :lol:

I've fixed my errors in usage.

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

You people crack me up
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

There will be a deposition tomorrow to gather information on whether 24 should be saved or sentenced to death.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

C&O6084
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by C&O6084 »

Ahem...

memorandum
Houghton Mifflin

n.noun
A short note written as a reminder.
A written record or communication, as in a business office.
A short document outlining the terms of an agreement, especially as a draft leading to a formal, detailed contract.
a memorandum of understanding.
A writing submitted to a court by a party arguing an aspect of a case; a brief.
A decision of an appellate court, particularly one that is not accompanied by any detailed explanation of the basis for the decision.
a memorandum decision.
A business statement made by a consignor about a shipment of goods that may be returned.
A brief, unsigned diplomatic communication.

EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EWRice »

J T wrote:There will be a deposition tomorrow to gather information on whether 24 should be saved or sentenced to death.
SENTENCE HER TO DEATH!!! She has failed to do her job and is being lazy just sitting there. They even had to bring in another unit to pick up the slack! After the hanging, we can all meet up for a candle light vigil. Call all the news stations so we can raise awareness of lazy locomotives. :wink:

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

Paint it black, scrap it, and turn it into a gevo! (Sounds like an angry mob is starting to form in this thread :twisted: :lol:)
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EWRice »

Next thing you know Ann Street will look like Ferguson, MO and an angry mob of railfans will tip the 24 over and torch it. All in the name of preservation. :shock:

Mark F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Mark F »

Ahem...

memorandum
Houghton Mifflin

n.noun
A short note written as a reminder.
A written record or communication, as in a business office.
A short document outlining the terms of an agreement, especially as a draft leading to a formal, detailed contract.
a memorandum of understanding.
A writing submitted to a court by a party arguing an aspect of a case; a brief.
A decision of an appellate court, particularly one that is not accompanied by any detailed explanation of the basis for the decision.
a memorandum decision.
A business statement made by a consignor about a shipment of goods that may be returned.
A brief, unsigned diplomatic communication.
I was wondering why it took so long for someone to catch that.

kenN
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by kenN »

Uh...do ya think....maybe, they--that is, whoever used the word memorandum,-- now bear in mind that I mean no malice towards anyone, let alone anyone that would post on this sight, oops, I mean site, -- do ya think that possibly, maybe, just perhaps they meant to say memoriam? That is, actually it's a definition, to be exact, but it could mean "in memory of."