Banning Ringling Bros. in GR

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Banning Ringling Bros. in GR

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

http://woodtv.com/2015/01/27/group-push ... nd-rapids/

I'm pretty sure RBBX is the only traditional circus that goes to GR. If this is passed it doesn't look like we'll see the circus train in the Elk again.

I also see where they are coming from with this issue but maybe they should check the living conditions first, just to be sure of their facts.
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Re: Banning Ringling Bros. in GR

Unread post by Ypsi »

I'm sorry but these groups just frustrate me.. and the fact that they basically compared it to dog fighting is stupid. I would almost guarantee (no research on this subject) that these "wild animals" are living better and safer lives in captivity then they could possibly in nature.. They are fed, watered, have a warm place to live in the winter, and don't have to worry about predators. In my mind it is just a stupid argument that the "wild animals" are mistreated, or whatever they believe.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

These bans rarely stand...of they're instituted in the first place. No real solid grounds for them. If they can't have the show in one place, they'll find another venue.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

MQT3001 wrote:These bans rarely stand...of they're instituted in the first place. No real solid grounds for them. If they can't have the show in one place, they'll find another venue.
Who would think a circus on the level of the RBB&B neglects their animals? Those animals are the heart of their business besides the performers.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

PETA and their contemporaries would, if they could, ban keeping any animal in captivity. They're basically run by vegans. That's not to say they're a bunch of crazies, but really, a lot of those people care way too much IMO about animal welfare. Not that I support cruelty, but I just don't see the whole "can't eat meat cause they have to kill it" mantra.

(Yes, PETA isn't the one taking this case, but they seem to be the standard-barer in these sort of cases)
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I do not belong too nor do I support PETA but let me ask you a question...would you want to live in a cage where you are safe from every day hazards and perform tricks occasionally as long as you get three meals a day and a place to sleep?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

AARR wrote:I do not belong too nor do I support PETA but let me ask you a question...would you want to live in a cage where you are safe from every day hazards and perform tricks occasionally as long as you get three meals a day and a place to sleep?
Kind of describes an office job doesn't it?

59caddy
bag of holding

Unread post by 59caddy »

RBBB cares very much about animal conservation: http://www.elephantcenter.com/

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

CSX_CO wrote:Kind of describes an office job doesn't it?
It's against the law to hit us with sticks when we don't do what the boss wants.

msurailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by msurailfan »

PatAzo wrote:
CSX_CO wrote:Kind of describes an office job doesn't it?
It's against the law to hit us with sticks when we don't do what the boss wants.
Taxes can be pretty big sticks...

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

CSX_CO wrote:
AARR wrote:I do not belong too nor do I support PETA but let me ask you a question...would you want to live in a cage where you are safe from every day hazards and perform tricks occasionally as long as you get three meals a day and a place to sleep?
Kind of describes an office job doesn't it?
Not in any office I've worked in. I've never been caged in a cubicle or office. I have always been free to roam around (as long as I got my work done).

Plus, an employee has a choice if they want to work an office job or another type of job or stay home and have Obama take care of them :wink: . They also can leave their office job and go home.

Like I said I do not support PETA or any other of these animals rights groups. Nor am I opposed to farms or zoo's or even circuses for that matter. However, as you can tell, I am concerned about what we feel is right for the animals and what is really right for them.

If any of these animals were given a choice between living a somewhat dangerous but free life vs. the security of a cage and depend on humans I can guarantee you 99% would bolt for freedom in a heartbeat.

I'd like to think that we humans would feel the same way but from the voting results it looks more and more like people are willing to give up their freedom in order to have security as long as they are provided ample entertainment.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

Most, if not all circus animals are born in captivity. It's all they know. They do not trap or catch wild elephants, lions, tigers, chimps, or other animals and "train" them to perform.
I feel sorry for any child that grows up never having been to the circus.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

hoborich wrote:Most, if not all circus animals are born in captivity. It's all they know. They do not trap or catch wild elephants, lions, tigers, chimps, or other animals and "train" them to perform.
I feel sorry for any child that grows up never having been to the circus.
I guess I'm in that category. I have never went to a circus performance.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

hoborich wrote: I feel sorry for any child that grows up never having been to the circus.
Went back in the 70s when I was a kid, but that was the last time. Circuses seem like such an antiquated thing to me. It almost surprises me that they still exist.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ben Higdon »

MQT3001 wrote:They're basically run by vegans. That's not to say they're a bunch of crazies
Wow, there's an intelligent comment. Eating ground up cow butts and talking about how good it tastes is cool though right?
hoborich wrote:Most, if not all circus animals are born in captivity. It's all they know. They do not trap or catch wild elephants, lions, tigers, chimps, or other animals and "train" them to perform.
Have you ever heard of natural instinct?

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

YpsiAmtrakBoy wrote: I would almost guarantee (no research on this subject) that these "wild animals" are living better and safer lives in captivity then they could possibly in nature.. They are fed, watered, have a warm place to live in the winter, and don't have to worry about predators.

I guess we as a socicaty should lock up all homless people. That way they will be not have to worry about food, water, being cold in the winter, or other people messing with them. :roll:

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

MQT1223 wrote:
MQT3001 wrote:These bans rarely stand...of they're instituted in the first place. No real solid grounds for them. If they can't have the show in one place, they'll find another venue.
Who would think a circus on the level of the RBB&B neglects their animals? Those animals are the heart of their business besides the performers.
You would think that would be the case. You would think that Seaworld would be in the same boat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackfish_%28film%29

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

We took the kids to the RB&BB circus in Toledo 3 years ago, and the animal acts were the least interesting, weakest part of the whole show. Truth be told, they could do away with the animal parts and few would miss it.

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

59caddy wrote:RBBB cares very much about animal conservation: http://www.elephantcenter.com/

http://www.cnn.com/2011/11/29/us/ringling-bros-fine/

"Feld Entertainment Inc., which produces the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus, has agreed to pay $270,000 for allegedly violating the Animal Welfare Act on several occasions from June 2007 to August 2011, according to a USDA news release."

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

MSchwiebert wrote:We took the kids to the RB&BB circus in Toledo 3 years ago, and the animal acts were the least interesting, weakest part of the whole show. Truth be told, they could do away with the animal parts and few would miss it.
Can a circus be a circus without the animals? Like what is the definition of a "Circus"? Would it only be a stuntman show if it is just people doing stunts and acrobatics? Usually when I think of a stereotypical circus I think of animals AND people doing tricks/stunts together, not just one or the other. I feel like it would loose its feel. After all animals can only do so much. Its amazing what those trainers can make them do in the first place since they were not designed for such things.