Railroad and shipping container question

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
rettop
Railroadfan...fan

Railroad and shipping container question

Unread post by rettop »

Some shipping containers are refrigerated, on the ship and on the train. I was driving down the Chicago Skyway freeway and noticed a line of containers waiting to enter the yard; a string of them were refrigerated, just like over the road reefers. These were NOT trailers, but containers, from the east coast. How and who fuels the refrigeration units--takes fuel to keep a reefer at zero degrees? Their green lights were on to indicate they were functioning. If it takes a few days to get thur Chicago, these units needed to be fueled at some point along their trip. Some where along their trip this needs to be addressed !!!!

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Railroad and shipping container question

Unread post by PatAzo »

In route the railroads or truckers refuel the containers. On board ship they draw power from the ships electrical system.

http://www.uprr.com/customers/intermoda ... ochure.pdf

"The ramp’s central location along the Sunset Route allows crews to efficiently refuel refrigerated containers and trailers to ensure product arrives at destination at the proper temperature."

DLM
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by DLM »

Most reefer containers / trailers have a 100 gallon fuel tank and run in start/stop mode. Thy are good for about 10 days before needing refueling. Refrigerated containers and trailers are only routed on hot/fast trains. Trains only stop for the 1000 mile check between Chicago and the west coast. For the reefer trailers I route on the BNSF between Chicago and Spokane, I pay a service to inspect the trailers in Montana at the 1000 mile check point. Add fuel if needed which has never happened, fix broken belts, dead battery, ect.

Robert MacDowell
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Robert MacDowell »

When containers plug into ships, they usually use 480 volt AC 3-phase. This is the standard industrial power drop in the U.S. and any utility can provide it anywhere except residential and very rural areas. So it's quite possible those containers sitting around Chicago are plugged in to "house power'.

By the way Amtrak cars also use that same 480 volt 3 phase. And now you know, why the Panama Railway wanted former Amtrak engines for hauling containers.

I want one of these diesel engines that runs for 10 days on 100 gallons!