Southern Michigan Railroad Society report

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Southern Michigan Railroad Society report

Unread post by SousaKerry »

Decided Saturday was so nice that the Wife, Son and I should go down Tecumseh and catch the 11:00 AM Michigan Southern Fall color Train. That weekend was also the Tecumseh Appleumpkin Festival yeah bad name but a good small town fest.

The ride was decent 10-15MPH max pulled by the #75 GE44-tonner one coach a gondola and 2 cabooses. We rode the open air gondola with bench seats down the middle of the car. The train was not sold out but was a bit chilly yet so most people were in the coach. Only one Caboose was occupied and I am not sure why they had the second one as it didn't look like it even had seats in it. We ran North to Clinton with sticks and weeds going wapity wapity the whole way, if your standing you gotta watch out or you may get a face full of tree. Once in Clinton we de-trained and looked around their gift shop/museum/office building.

Once the line for the porta potty dwindled they sounded the horn and 10 minutes later we are South bound. This time with the caboose leading. We get about 1/2 a mile from the Southern station stop and some jackass has parked his truck fouling the tracks. Considering we are doing all of about 5 MPH we stop in plenty of time. Much head scratching ensued, and they gave us the option to get off and walk, as they did not know how long it would take.

We decide to stay with the train, just as most people have left somebody figures out the keys are in the truck and the windows are open. They jump in and back the truck up. All aboard again and we beat the first of the walkers to the station. We decide to take in the festival and walk around. Found a great hobby shop in downtown Tecumseh that somehow I have missed for years.

Eventually we make it back to the truck and we decide to take a bit longer of a drive. I followed the southern end of the railroad till we could find it no more. I had not realized that NS had cut the crossing so the MS is totally isolated from the rest of the world. Being that the NS crossing had no interchange either I wanted to find where it did join the world. I find Lenawee Jct. About 1 or 2 miles north I find some cars and a former AA Alco RS1 rusting away in someones yard.

I seem to remember this locomotive sitting in Tecumseh about 15 years ago when I fist started coming to Michigan. Who owns this RS-1 and the track it sits on, It's only connection is to the A&B in Lenawee Jct. Looks as if nothing has been even close to the NS in 10 years or better by the weed growth.

When did NS cut the diamond out?

Someone has been looking out for the loco and cars as fresh tarps are over the radiator vent and there appears to be a new rubber roof on the South Shore Passenger car .

Pictures to come
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Re: Miching Southern report

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

The diamond at Raisin Center with the Wabash was torn out sometime during the negotiations between CR and SMRS and was done supposedly by the N&W. Clay and Lance know more than I. The rear NE-6 caboose is the crew car and office and isn't equipped to handle passengers because of the interior layout and cupola.

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Here are pictures. Just grab shots with the phone.

https://m.flickr.com/photos/62412975@N0 ... 361666448/
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

SousaKerry wrote:Here are pictures. Just grab shots with the phone.

https://m.flickr.com/photos/62412975@N0 ... 361666448/
Oops! You don't have permission to view this page.
It seems I am not allowed to view the photos. Doesn't SMRS own the RS-1? The RS-1 should still be operable, as far as I know they start it up once or twice a year and move it back and forth on the short bit of track they have down there.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

j32885
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Southern Michigan RR SOC Report

Unread post by j32885 »

Think you're getting Pioneer Rail's MSO (Michigan Southern Railroad) mixed up with SMRS (Southern Michigan Railroad Society) both operate sections of New York Central's "Old Road" trackage.

Anyway, I got to visit SMRS last year and had a good time. Here are some highlights:

Southern Michigan Railroad Society, 10-25-2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzN4CX1_Bik

Southern Michigan Railroad Society, 10-25-2013 #2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__1GdVWGF_Y

Southern Michigan Railroad Society, 10-25-2013 #3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVU5RihrTUE

Southern Michigan Railroad Society, 10-25-2013 #4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bdpTBMT7w4

Southern Michigan Railroad Society (Train Ride), 10-25-2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY7U8t1cIR8

Southern Michigan Railroad Society (Rolling Stock), 10-25-2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zyj4AqOnjqQ

Southern Michigan Railroad Society (Rolling Stock), 10-25-2013 #2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4SBah2cpqA

Southern Michigan Railroad Society (Rolling Stock), 10-25-2013 #3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyJZY0LKGmg

Southern Michigan Railroad Society (Rolling Stock), 10-25-2013 #4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSFxqi2J7h8

Southern Michigan Railroad Society (Rolling Stock), 10-25-2013 #5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjuopmeZS4M

Enjoy! 8)

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ben Higdon »

The line to Clinton was not the Old Road. The OR was the former Michigan Southern & Northern Indiana main between Toledo and Elkhart

j32885
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by j32885 »

Yes, I fully understand the Clinton Branch ISN'T the "OLD ROAD", but it still connects to it at Lenawee Junction. That section of the OR is owned and operated by ADBF (Adrian & Blissfield).

Wikipedia/SMRS Route Map
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_M ... uteMap.PNG

It's was Error on my part. :|

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Unread post by ConrailMan5 »

TrainWatcher wrote:The diamond at Raisin Center with the Wabash was torn out sometime during the negotiations between CR and SMRS and was done supposedly by the N&W. Clay and Lance know more than I. The rear NE-6 caboose is the crew car and office and isn't equipped to handle passengers because of the interior layout and cupola.
The way it was explained to me, if they had left the diamond in place SMRS would have controlled it because their line was there first. Not sure if that is true, but still an interesting tidbit.

How's the cosmetic restoration on the RS-1 going? And what of the GMDH-3(?)
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

ConrailMan5 wrote:
TrainWatcher wrote:The diamond at Raisin Center with the Wabash was torn out sometime during the negotiations between CR and SMRS and was done supposedly by the N&W. Clay and Lance know more than I. The rear NE-6 caboose is the crew car and office and isn't equipped to handle passengers because of the interior layout and cupola.
The way it was explained to me, if they had left the diamond in place SMRS would have controlled it because their line was there first. Not sure if that is true, but still an interesting tidbit.

That and NW didn't really like the idea of some guys in speeders wandering out into the path of a freight on the mainline. The GMDH-3 is painted blue now at least, I haven't seen it since then.
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

SousaKerry wrote:Decided Saturday was so nice that the Wife, Son and I should go down Tecumseh and catch the 11:00 AM Michigan Southern Fall color Train. That weekend was also the Tecumseh Appleumpkin Festival yeah bad name but a good small town fest.

The ride was decent 10-15MPH max pulled by the #75 GE44-tonner one coach a gondola and 2 cabooses. We rode the open air gondola with bench seats down the middle of the car. The train was not sold out but was a bit chilly yet so most people were in the coach. Only one Caboose was occupied and I am not sure why they had the second one as it didn't look like it even had seats in it. We ran North to Clinton with sticks and weeds going wapity wapity the whole way, if your standing you gotta watch out or you may get a face full of tree. Once in Clinton we de-trained and looked around their gift shop/museum/office building.

Once the line for the porta potty dwindled they sounded the horn and 10 minutes later we are South bound. This time with the caboose leading. We get about 1/2 a mile from the Southern station stop and some jackass has parked his truck fouling the tracks. Considering we are doing all of about 5 MPH we stop in plenty of time. Much head scratching ensued, and they gave us the option to get off and walk, as they did not know how long it would take.

We decide to stay with the train, just as most people have left somebody figures out the keys are in the truck and the windows are open. They jump in and back the truck up. All aboard again and we beat the first of the walkers to the station. We decide to take in the festival and walk around. Found a great hobby shop in downtown Tecumseh that somehow I have missed for years.

Eventually we make it back to the truck and we decide to take a bit longer of a drive. I followed the southern end of the railroad till we could find it no more. I had not realized that NS had cut the crossing so the MS is totally isolated from the rest of the world. Being that the NS crossing had no interchange either I wanted to find where it did join the world. I find Lenawee Jct. About 1 or 2 miles north I find some cars and a former AA Alco RS1 rusting away in someones yard.

I seem to remember this locomotive sitting in Tecumseh about 15 years ago when I fist started coming to Michigan. Who owns this RS-1 and the track it sits on, It's only connection is to the A&B in Lenawee Jct. Looks as if nothing has been even close to the NS in 10 years or better by the weed growth.

Someone has been looking out for the loco and cars as fresh tarps are over the radiator vent and there appears to be a new rubber roof on the South Shore Passenger car .

Pictures to come
You are thinking of Blissfield which is east of Lenawee Junction on the Old Road. It sat there for a long time being worked on and it does run, the problem is that there is nowhere to run it...

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

SousaKerry wrote:Decided Saturday was so nice that the Wife, Son and I should go down Tecumseh and catch the 11:00 AM Michigan Southern Fall color Train. That weekend was also the Tecumseh Appleumpkin Festival yeah bad name but a good small town fest.

Pictures to come
If the stranded equipment could be temporarily connected to the MS line over the old Wabash in Tecumseh then you could get it out of there and could actually use it. I would love to see the RS-1 pull trains.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

ns8401 wrote:
ConrailMan5 wrote:

That and NW didn't really like the idea of some guys in speeders wandering out into the path of a freight on the mainline. The GMDH-3 is painted blue now at least, I haven't seen it since then.
The GMDH-3 is painted back into its Demonstrator paint scheme, minus the lettering when I last looked. If they could fix that transmission that thing would look and sound good doing down that line. Apparently the blueprints for that transmission have been lost and there is no easy way to fix it.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

MQT1223 wrote:

Pictures to come
If the stranded equipment could be temporarily connected to the MS line over the old Wabash in Tecumseh then you could get it out of there and could actually use it. I would love to see the RS-1 pull trains.
The RS-1 may be too heavy.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

I'm pretty sure that may be the case on the RS-1, as well as the cost of getting it over with the other equiptment would be too high. I have heard trucking it is the only viable option, and would be too expensive (I believe it is pretty rare to see a temporary overpass/ overdiamod used, but it has been done).

A side note on the diamond, the story I heard from someone involved in the SMRS at one point was that a group of the members found out about an NS OCS going through on the wabash line and decided it would be a good idea to take a bunch of speeders down and wave in order to try and get ns to let them put the diamond back. As the train rolled by apparently the exact words of the NS official on board were "H*** NO!". I always found this story funny, and would imagine it might not be too far off :lol:
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Ok I finally fixed the pictures they are public now. Last dang time I upload them directly off of my phone..

As far as outside world access would it not be simpler to put in a switch on the NS and lay panel track when needed. Then the equipment could be moved back via the connection with the A&B in Adrian.

I remember the RS1 sitting in Tecumseh around 2001 or so, if the connection was cut before this how the heck did they get it where it is now?

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

YpsiAmtrakBoy wrote:I'm pretty sure that may be the case on the RS-1, as well as the cost of getting it over with the other equiptment would be too high. I have heard trucking it is the only viable option, and would be too expensive (I believe it is pretty rare to see a temporary overpass/ overdiamod used, but it has been done).

A side note on the diamond, the story I heard from someone involved in the SMRS at one point was that a group of the members found out about an NS OCS going through on the wabash line and decided it would be a good idea to take a bunch of speeders down and wave in order to try and get ns to let them put the diamond back. As the train rolled by apparently the exact words of the NS official on board were "H*** NO!". I always found this story funny, and would imagine it might not be too far off :lol:
I can believe that. It's funny enough to believe. :lol:

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

ns8401 wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:

Pictures to come
The RS-1 may be too heavy.
That track the RS-1 sits on now I think is in worse shape then the SMHS mainline and they roll the RS-1 back and forth to keep it loose. I think if they keep the RS-1 nice and slow like they do with the trains right now that it could go up and down the mainline without any issues.

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

SousaKerry wrote:Ok I finally fixed the pictures they are public now. Last dang time I upload them directly off of my phone..

As far as outside world access would it not be simpler to put in a switch on the NS and lay panel track when needed. Then the equipment could be moved back via the connection with the A&B in Adrian.

I remember the RS1 sitting in Tecumseh around 2001 or so, if the connection was cut before this how the heck did they get it where it is now?
That was blissfield on the A&B, the RS-1 was never north of the NS. It is too heavy and it would cost too much to truck it there. They will NEVER reconnect to the NS, it's just not a realistic option.

When I say too heavy it's the bridges that have the biggest weight problems.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

ns8401 wrote:
SousaKerry wrote:Ok I finally fixed the pictures they are public now. Last dang time I upload them directly off of my phone..

That was blissfield on the A&B, the RS-1 was never north of the NS. It is too heavy and it would cost too much to truck it there. They will NEVER reconnect to the NS, it's just not a realistic option.

Yeah now that is a problem... then why not get rid of it for some cash? Last time I checked the Michigan Southern could use a little extra. And when I say get rid of it I mean sell it to another organization that will cherish it and use it.

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

MQT1223 wrote:
ns8401 wrote:

Yeah now that is a problem... then why not get rid of it for some cash? Last time I checked the Michigan Southern could use a little extra. And when I say get rid of it I mean sell it to another organization that will cherish it and use it.
It's fine where it is, and it's Southern Michigan. Michigan Southern is a different road.