GDLK Operations

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
dave989
Railroadfan...fan

Re: GDLK Operations

Unread post by dave989 »

The crossing replacement at 36th St. Southeast has begun. I have not seen the panel track yet but they are hackin the old crossing out like a bad tooth.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

dave989 wrote:The crossing replacement at 36th St. Southeast has begun. I have not seen the panel track yet but they are hackin the old crossing out like a bad tooth.
Eastern or 36th? I know that both crossings are coming out but either way that's Good. I will not miss driving over that. Between that Crossing and Madison they were by far the worst in Kent County IMO. Within the next 5 years or so all of the crossings on that stretch will probably be resurfaced or have some work done between faulty electrical or rough surfaces. The amount of money being put into the Hastings Lead is a promising sign for a line that just a few years ago looked for sure like it wouldn't have a future.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

4189,4190 & 4225 southbound all freshly washed with 30 cars for Elkhart.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

MQT1223 wrote:Eastern or 36th?
Eastern. 36th in Grand Rapids is due to be replaced on 5/18, says a sign on 36th near the crossing.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

~Z~ wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:Eastern or 36th?
Eastern. 36th in Grand Rapids is due to be replaced on 5/18, says a sign on 36th near the crossing.
They must be hustling on Eastern then... I don't think they will risk having both blocked at once.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

MQT1223 wrote: Eastern or 36th? I know that both crossings are coming out but either way that's Good. I will not miss driving over that. Between that Crossing and Madison they were by far the worst in Kent County IMO. Within the next 5 years or so all of the crossings on that stretch will probably be resurfaced or have some work done between faulty electrical or rough surfaces. The amount of money being put into the Hastings Lead is a promising sign for a line that just a few years ago looked for sure like it wouldn't have a future.
Keep in mind the MDOT RR Safety section inspects the crossings on a regular basis. They also will inspect on complainants. Once the crossing gets to an unacceptable level, they issue an order to repair / rebuild. At that point, the RR has no choice.

dave989
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by dave989 »

The crossing replacement at 36th St. should be done next week. The panel track has been installed and the rail around the crossing resurfaced with tie replacement and ballast. Just waiting for new pavement or whatever they plan on using to fill in the cavity thats left for filling. I come by here everyday around noon and the signal maintainers were also testing the flashers during this fix.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Raildudes dad wrote:
MQT1223 wrote: Eastern or 36th? I know that both crossings are coming out but either way that's Good. I will not miss driving over that. Between that Crossing and Madison they were by far the worst in Kent County IMO. Within the next 5 years or so all of the crossings on that stretch will probably be resurfaced or have some work done between faulty electrical or rough surfaces. The amount of money being put into the Hastings Lead is a promising sign for a line that just a few years ago looked for sure like it wouldn't have a future.
Keep in mind the MDOT RR Safety section inspects the crossings on a regular basis. They also will inspect on complainants. Once the crossing gets to an unacceptable level, they issue an order to repair / rebuild. At that point, the RR has no choice.
36th wasn't bad, Eastern was Terrible surface wise. The main driving force from what I've heard directly from the railroad was the crossings did not safely operate if a train was approaching, and while waiting for the funding the railroad kept that portion of the line OOS until the crossings could be fixed.

dave989
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by dave989 »

The crossing replacement at Eastern Ave. is completed and now the 36th St. crossing is being torn out.

dave989
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by dave989 »

SD-40 4206 dropped off another load of ballast at 36th and Eastern. Large MOW gathering there.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

dave989 wrote:SD-40 4206 dropped off another load of ballast at 36th and Eastern. Large MOW gathering there.
The crossings and track are being leveled through there I'm guessing?

dave989
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by dave989 »

The new panel track for the new 36th St. crossing has been installed. Just have to fill in the cavity thats left. The tracks around the two crossing looks much better.

1TrackMind
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 1TrackMind »

Grand Elk will be working in GR today, then bringing a train south.

dave989
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by dave989 »

MOW crews working the 36th St. crossing filling in the cavity from panel track replacement and rehab work. Hoping they are done tomorrow. Finished on Friday 5-29.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

Out with the old
Out with the old
In with the new
In with the new
All of the main signals between Vistula and Elkhart have been replaced. The crew is still finishing up installation. A local was working Bristol and Elkhart as these pictures were taken.

Note that the signs have been changed from E/W designations to N/S designations at all locations (similar to the signals between White Pigeon and Three Rivers).

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

End of an era... I bet those were some of the oldest installations in the state behind the PM signals north of Flint.

C&O Dispatcher
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by C&O Dispatcher »

According to the Michigan Railroads timeline, the NYC built the "high speed" connection track near Three Rivers in 1958 to complete their short-cut from Jackson to Elkhart under newly installed CTC operation. The PM signals between Hoyt and Mt Morris were first installed in 1928 -- and several of them are still in service! On that part of the railroad, the best signal we could get into a siding was RESTRICTING. South of McGrew, you got mostly medium speed indications entering a siding. Lincoln was restricting, and I believe Novi was a slow speed indication.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

MQT1223 wrote:End of an era... I bet those were some of the oldest installations in the state behind the PM signals north of Flint.
The pictured signals were installed in Indiana between Vistula and Elkhart. Five intermediate locations (85-93), most with spotlight signals. The signals at the Vistula siding "south" of White Pigeon were replaced late last year. The signals in Michigan from White Pigeon to the north (71-78) were replaced in late 2018. CP 1 (formerly CP 95) was replaced in 2018 as part of the NS rebuild of nearby CP 421.

"Typical Conrail" the signals were a hodgepodge of spotlights and tri-lights. Now everything from 71 south is a "Vader" signal - and note I said south. All of the E/W signs referring to the Elkhart-Jackson route are now gone. All of the signals are signed N/S.

I have not checked the signal at 4th St Three Rivers lately, but the last time I looked 68 was still a tri-light signed 68N/68S.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

justalurker66 wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:End of an era... I bet those were some of the oldest installations in the state behind the PM signals north of Flint.
The pictured signals were installed in Indiana between Vistula and Elkhart. Five intermediate locations (85-93), most with spotlight signals. The signals at the Vistula siding "south" of White Pigeon were replaced late last year. The signals in Michigan from White Pigeon to the north (71-78) were replaced in late 2018. CP 1 (formerly CP 95) was replaced in 2018 as part of the NS rebuild of nearby CP 421.

"Typical Conrail" the signals were a hodgepodge of spotlights and tri-lights. Now everything from 71 south is a "Vader" signal - and note I said south. All of the E/W signs referring to the Elkhart-Jackson route are now gone. All of the signals are signed N/S.

I have not checked the signal at 4th St Three Rivers lately, but the last time I looked 68 was still a tri-light signed 68N/68S.
Can't we just pretend its Michigan? :oops: :lol:

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

MQT1223 wrote:Can't we just pretend its Michigan? :oops: :lol:
Sure ... it is a Michigan based railroad. :D