Grand Rapids Terminal Sub - Updated Maps

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Grand Rapids Terminal Sub - Updated Maps

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Finally finished editing the B. P. Beavers 1995 Grand Rapids Terminal Sub maps to be accurate to 1-1-2013. Thanks to Amtrak1007 for making these available. Edited in Windows Paint. Any corrections Welcome :)

GRTS Page 1 by MQT3001, on Flickr
GRTS Page 2 by MQT3001, on Flickr
GRTS Page 3 by MQT3001, on Flickr
GRTS Page 4 by MQT3001, on Flickr
GRTS Page 5 by MQT3001, on Flickr
GRTS Page 6 by MQT3001, on Flickr
GRTS Page 7 by MQT3001, on Flickr
GRTS Page 8 by MQT3001, on Flickr
GRTS Page 9 by MQT3001, on Flickr
GRTS Page 10 by MQT3001, on Flickr
Last edited by Saturnalia on Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

amtrak1007
MP 25 Productions Co-Founder

Re: Grand Rapids Terminal Sub - Updated Maps

Unread post by amtrak1007 »

Look for those in a gllx3001facts.com update.

Also Alex pm me your email, I have an excel doc I would like help updating.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I don't know if they're accurate but it looks like you did a nice job!
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

AARR wrote:I don't know if they're accurate but it looks like you did a nice job!
Just so everyone knows, MQT did not draw these maps. They were done by a CSX employee in the 90's. He's just updating the originals to show track changes.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

SD80MAC wrote:
AARR wrote:I don't know if they're accurate but it looks like you did a nice job!
Just so everyone knows, MQT did not draw these maps. They were done by a CSX employee in the 90's. He's just updating the originals to show track changes.
First sentence of my post :wink:

Track alignments were found using Google Maps imagery. The newest close-ups are a type Google came out with in the last year or so, so it's pretty close to present. I've also used Google Streetview for some of the crossing updates.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

You should try bingmaps.com as well. I have found their satellite imagery to be much better than google maps.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: Grand Rapids Terminal Sub - Updated Maps 2013

I have re-posted my first post in this thread to reflect the changes I have made to them today. I have added 3 more pages to this set, those being from Sunnyside to Turner St, so we now have a complete GR Terminal Sub. I also made a few minor edits on the ones posted previously, so those ones have been re-uploaded. Be sure to go to click on them and see their full size if you need more detail. They go up to a whopping 1500 x 2000 pixels (they run about 10mb each).

Let me know if you have any additions/corrections, especially customer names.

Set URL on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/89601546@N ... 260344703/

pudgy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pudgy »

Your acme lead is a little off. There is a track that runs just outside of the building that has the spur running into it. Also, the track farthest to the East needs extending the length of the building it runs next to. And technically, you can remove the northern spur that runs off the runaround, the switch has been removed, I believe. I do know that track once ran into the building, but the door pit has been brick walled.
Big Easy

barnstormer
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by barnstormer »

Well, you ought not use Google or Bing maps to update anything, as they are old and outdated. First off, the tracks in the yard are need to be updated (38 & 40 trks have been out for a while now, and the mickey-mouse yard has only 4 trks now, just to start). Secondly, the signals at Madison are not absolute, they are an intermediate signal.

Might want to check with some of us employees who have worked there to get your information, before you go spouting off your "updates".

-barny

Patriot
Leonard St. Tower Operator

Unread post by Patriot »

Really?? MQT3001 immediately gives credit to where he got the original maps, updates those maps using available means, posts the updated maps, and asks for corrections....and he gets critical replies about where he got the maps, that some things need to be corrected, etc. I really enjoy reading this forum and the debates, but sometimes....wow. :shock:
Doing what you like is freedom. Liking what you do is happiness.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

Patriot wrote:Really?? MQT3001 immediately gives credit to where he got the original maps, updates those maps using available means, posts the updated maps, and asks for corrections....and he gets critical replies about where he got the maps, that some things need to be corrected, etc. I really enjoy reading this forum and the debates, but sometimes....wow. :shock:
+1 How about some credit for doing a nice job updating out of date maps and getting them out where people can see and use them?

I've said it before and I'm going to repeat it again. if you can't say something positive, maybe it shouldn't be said.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Patriot wrote:Really?? MQT3001 immediately gives credit to where he got the original maps, updates those maps using available means, posts the updated maps, and asks for corrections....and he gets critical replies about where he got the maps, that some things need to be corrected, etc. I really enjoy reading this forum and the debates, but sometimes....wow. :shock:
Railfanning is some serious business. Something so insignificant as listing an incorrect number of existing yard tracks can affect the rotation of the earth, ya know. ;-)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

Raildudes dad wrote:I've said it before and I'm going to repeat it again. if you can't say something positive, maybe it shouldn't be said.
Cant be done, Im told by the experts in the know that, it would make everything look like we are looking though rose colored glasses, and the real world is a female dog, and by that means we should treat everyone else the same also. But nice try. +1
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

barnstormer wrote:Well, you ought not use Google or Bing maps to update anything, as they are old and outdated. First off, the tracks in the yard are need to be updated (38 & 40 trks have been out for a while now, and the mickey-mouse yard has only 4 trks now, just to start). Secondly, the signals at Madison are not absolute, they are an intermediate signal.
Thanks for the tip in 38 & 40. I have removed them from my master copies, and will soon update the Flickr Photos.

Question I have is which Mickey Mouse track was removed? M66 (Old scale trk east of shanty), M63 (first track west of shany), or M62 (farthest to the east)?

Thanks for catching the Madison Signals error. I copied the Godfery Box and forgot to remove the "Absolute" part. Will change that on the masters and update when complete.
barnstormer wrote:Might want to check with some of us employees who have worked there to get your information, before you go spouting off your "updates".
I posted them here for that very reason. I have no guarantee placed on these maps that they are 100% correct. They are merely a guide, but are pretty accurate, and I use them for my reference guide. I do not want to bombard people on the Private Messaging system with questions, especially those whom I do not know personally.

The goals of this project are to create a usable reference guide for myself, others, and to preserve recordings of how the layout changes over time. They are something that will need to be updated rather frequently, and never-ending job.

Thankyou for the corrections, if you have any more I'd love to hear them :)

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

pudgy wrote:Your acme lead is a little off. There is a track that runs just outside of the building that has the spur running into it. Also, the track farthest to the East needs extending the length of the building it runs next to. And technically, you can remove the northern spur that runs off the runaround, the switch has been removed, I believe. I do know that track once ran into the building, but the door pit has been brick walled.
Like this?

GRTS Page 9 by MQT3001, on Flickr

All three pages edited (3, 8 & 9) have been re-uploaded to Flickr and the first post of this thread updated to reflect that.

Any corrections and/or additions (like the plate numbers for Madison or customer names) welcome :)

pudgy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pudgy »

You're close, still missing a track on the East side of the building that has the rails running inside. Quite a poly trans load they have going on there. The track runs as long as the east-most spur on the property.

And a correction on myself in regards to the northern spur, I checked today, and the switch is still in, but it looks like there is no switch stand or throw bar. Might be spiked in position.
Big Easy

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

pudgy wrote:You're close, still missing a track on the East side of the building that has the rails running inside. Quite a poly trans load they have going on there. The track runs as long as the east-most spur on the property.

And a correction on myself in regards to the northern spur, I checked today, and the switch is still in, but it looks like there is no switch stand or throw bar. Might be spiked in position.
Unless they re-installed the switch, that track is in-accessible:

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=4 ... 1&t=h&z=20

Points were gone...

pudgy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pudgy »

They reinstalled the switch. Lots of work was done back there. I promise, that track is in use. Long string of covered hoppers in that track for the trans load business.
Big Easy

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

pudgy wrote:They reinstalled the switch. Lots of work was done back there. I promise, that track is in use. Long string of covered hoppers in that track for the trans load business.
Okedokee. Just want to confirm before going through the motions. Uploading 10MB pics takes time :wink:

Will update tomorrow :)

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

Keep up the good work MQT 3001. I don't see anyone else stepping up to the plate.