Marquette Rail Santa Express

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
tsinoms
Adult Gerber Baby

Re: Marquette Rail Santa Express

Unread post by tsinoms »

KCS KNOCKE TOWER wrote:Well lets just hope that there is snow on the ground. It's just not Christmas without snow. The M5 just bounces off snow better than bare ground!! I just hope that the train will be well received. I hope Rail America sees the value of what the original Marquette started.
If they didn't they wouldn't run it now would they. ;)
This is my life. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

If this is a problem get used to it.

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Well with the news of GLLX/GTW 4433 doing the honors this year, it's a good thing I planned to shoot the train. Hmmm, a K-27 on Friday and a GTW GP9 High Hood on Saturday, going to be some of the best sets i'll have had all year. Gotta shoot some big thanks over to the GLLX Godfather for this lash-up.

CharlieX90
Back from "Vacation"

Unread post by CharlieX90 »

I'll be taking my talents to South Beach....errr i mean the west side of the state for this ;)

CERY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CERY »

TrainWatcher wrote:Well with the news of GLLX/GTW 4433 doing the honors this year, it's a good thing I planned to shoot the train. Hmmm, a K-27 on Friday and a GTW GP9 High Hood on Saturday, going to be some of the best sets i'll have had all year. Gotta shoot some big thanks over to the GLLX Godfather for this lash-up.
Don't hold your breath on the ol' GP9...
Semi-retired railroader

TrainWatcher
The Beast

CERY wrote:
TrainWatcher wrote:Well with the news of GLLX/GTW 4433 doing the honors this year, it's a good thing I planned to shoot the train. Hmmm, a K-27 on Friday and a GTW GP9 High Hood on Saturday, going to be some of the best sets i'll have had all year. Gotta shoot some big thanks over to the GLLX Godfather for this lash-up.
Anytime I consider shooting a classic high hood EMD GP I never hold my breath, if I did i'd never be able to take the photos I do :P And yes, I have seen photos of the 4433, and while she is not the "Belle of the Ball" so-to-speak, I consider it above the ADBF Geeps anyday.

tsinoms
Adult Gerber Baby

Unread post by tsinoms »

CERY wrote:
How bad did they hurt her?? :roll:
This is my life. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

If this is a problem get used to it.

KCS KNOCKE TOWER
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KCS KNOCKE TOWER »

Got hurt pretty bad, there was a squirrel in the cage, and the cage came undone and the squirrel let loose. Needless to say there was a wide assortment of parts left over. It is fixable, but will never be the same.

MNE Mec
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MNE Mec »

Igor, through the switch!!!

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

(fixed it for you)
MNE Mec wrote:Igor, THROW the switch!!!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Robertrains »

KCS KNOCKE TOWER wrote:Got hurt pretty bad, there was a squirrel in the cage, and the cage came undone and the squirrel let loose. Needless to say there was a wide assortment of parts left over. It is fixable, but will never be the same.

This loco won't be used for the MQT Santa Train then, correct? I'm not understanding fully─what happened exactly? I'm guessing some squirrel lost his nuts! :mrgreen: Will 4933 be fixed? I haven't seen this loco since it was on GTW! Those GTW High Hood GP9s are my favorite!!!!

I don't think I can make it for this train, but I've never seen it! Hopefully G&W will keep it going!
Robert Jackson (Extreme Railfan/Bluewater and Michigan Transit Museum member)

http://cooltrains.rrpicturearchives.net/

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Robertrains wrote:
KCS KNOCKE TOWER wrote:Got hurt pretty bad, there was a squirrel in the cage, and the cage came undone and the squirrel let loose. Needless to say there was a wide assortment of parts left over. It is fixable, but will never be the same.

This loco won't be used for the MQT Santa Train then, correct? I'm not understanding fully─what happened exactly? I'm guessing some squirrel lost his nuts! :mrgreen: Will 4933 be fixed? I haven't seen this loco since it was on GTW! Those GTW High Hood GP9s are my favorite!!!!

I don't think I can make it for this train, but I've never seen it! Hopefully G&W will keep it going!
4433 Rob.... 4433.

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Robertrains »

TrainWatcher wrote:
Robertrains wrote:

4433 Rob.... 4433.

WHOOPS─I knew it's 4433, somehow I typed 4933! I believe at some point I have seen it in my youth! Now, can anyone confirm it won't be on the Santa Train for sure
?

Here's my favorite GP9 shot of all time, taken in 1989 (by Dad)─this is when I started loving the High Hoods: http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2840769
Robert Jackson (Extreme Railfan/Bluewater and Michigan Transit Museum member)

http://cooltrains.rrpicturearchives.net/

amtrak1007
MP 25 Productions Co-Founder

Unread post by amtrak1007 »

Robertrains wrote:
TrainWatcher wrote:
Robertrains wrote:

4433 Rob.... 4433.

WHOOPS─I knew it's 4433, somehow I typed 4933! I believe at some point I have seen it in my youth! Now, can anyone confirm it won't be on the Santa Train for sure
?

Here's my favorite GP9 shot of all time, taken in 1989 (by Dad)─this is when I started loving the High Hoods: http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2840769
I would believe KCS, knowing how involved in this project he is that the old girl is down for the count.

KCS KNOCKE TOWER
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KCS KNOCKE TOWER »

First of all JT, NAILED THE PHOTO!!! MN&E MEC could not have done a better job with finding a picture to describe. Fabulous!
Second, seeing how there seems to be so much interest in the 4433, let me just say, it will ride the rails again. GT lovers rejoice. Once the Aux gen is repaired, it will again be prepared to make the Walhalla turn. But alas, Santa and Dick Dillworth and his long hood forward friend will not be paired up on Extra SE1 North.

TrainWatcher
The Beast

KCS KNOCKE TOWER wrote:First of all JT, NAILED THE PHOTO!!! MN&E MEC could not have done a better job with finding a picture to describe. Fabulous!
Second, seeing how there seems to be so much interest in the 4433, let me just say, it will ride the rails again. GT lovers rejoice. Once the Aux gen is repaired, it will again be prepared to make the Walhalla turn. But alas, Santa and Dick Dillworth and his long hood forward friend will not be paired up on Extra SE1 North.
Awww, sad to hear that. So may we inquire who the stand in is? SD40-2 or GP38?

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

I wouldn't be surprised if MQT 2005 is used like last year.
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

TrainWatcher wrote:
KCS KNOCKE TOWER wrote:First of all JT, NAILED THE PHOTO!!! MN&E MEC could not have done a better job with finding a picture to describe. Fabulous!
Awww, sad to hear that. So may we inquire who the stand in is? SD40-2 or GP38?
There's only 2 units unless they're painting another one. MQT 2005 or the GLLX 3001.

I'll tell you this. We'll probably have some idea based on what goes north on Z151. If one of those 2 units is there, it'll be the other. I'll be staying near Comstock Park on Friday night, so I'll probably be able to get a loco ####. Speaking of which, if someone posted when they (The southbound Santa Train) were in Sparta, I'd be REALLY happy :)
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

MQT3001 wrote: I'll tell you this. We'll probably have some idea based on what goes north on Z151. If one of those 2 units is there, it'll be the other. I'll be staying near Comstock Park on Friday night, so I'll probably be able to get a loco ####.
It doesn't make any difference. What shows up on Saturday is what shows up on Saturday. There will be a loco with a few cars trailing. It is what it is and will be.

:twisted:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

What do you mean there are only two engines that can pull the train? The 2004, 2006, 2007 and 2008 are all painted for MQT. They are numbered and lettered for Marquette and bear a hearld on the nose. The 2007 is looking might spiffy lately too with a fresh wash. Its all up the the guy who is incharge of the event and knowing him he will make the engine shine like its fresh out of the paint booth!
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

amtrak1007
MP 25 Productions Co-Founder

Unread post by amtrak1007 »

J T wrote:
MQT3001 wrote: I'll tell you this. We'll probably have some idea based on what goes north on Z151. If one of those 2 units is there, it'll be the other. I'll be staying near Comstock Park on Friday night, so I'll probably be able to get a loco ####.
It doesn't make any difference. What shows up on Saturday is what shows up on Saturday. There will be a loco with a few cars trailing. It is what it is and will be.
:twisted: :twisted:
CAT345C wrote:What do you mean there are only two engines that can pull the train? The 2004, 2006, 2007 and 2008 are all painted for MQT. They are numbered and lettered for Marquette and bear a hearld on the nose. The 2007 is looking might spiffy lately too with a fresh wash. Its all up the the guy who is incharge of the event and knowing him he will make the engine shine like its fresh out of the paint booth!
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: