Working on the MAL

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
NoviRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Working on the MAL

Unread post by NoviRailfan »

As I drove over the MAL at M-5 this afternoon, there was a crew working on the track just east of the crossing. They had a couple of small pieces of equipment on the track. I couldn't tell what they were up to although I'm assuming that anything on that stretch of the MAL these days involves removing track, not fixing it.

NoviRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Working on the MAL

The tracks and ties have been removed on either side of the crossing on M-5. I didn't get a chance to head east or west to see how far they've gone but it shouldn't be long before all the remaining track is removed. A couple of weeks ago, I got stuck in a massive backup on M-5 when the crossings were activated with no track gang around. It took several County Sheriff deputies to physically remove the gates from the crossing to clear the traffic. The gates are still lying on the ground where they left them.

Tom
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tom »

I still remember being amazed that they built that crossing for the Dinner Train when they built M-5, the "super road". What a waste, someday we will be sorry for all these abandonments when gas is $6 a gallon.

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

Ran out and took some photos today of the progress, rail is all the way up to just past Ladd Rd. From Walled Lake proper to the east they have already pulled up all the ties and slightly graded the road bed.
IMG_8598 by miketabone89, on Flickr
IMG_8597 by miketabone89, on Flickr

Labor Day 2010 I made the interchange run to CSX Photo by Michael Broadwater
58484_427543411429_550701429_5513911_2385329_n by miketabone89, on Flickr

This same location from above almost 2 years later
IMG_8600 by miketabone89, on Flickr

This nifty 320 has the rail grapple on it
IMG_8599 by miketabone89, on Flickr
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

wow :shock:

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

I hated to see this happen ever since I started working at that depot last year and the day finally came. The sights of 725 sitting infront of the depot at Pontiac Trail is nothing but a memory now. I will always cherish the fond memories of working on the freight trains during the last 6 months of operation. Just sad to see what has become of the first place my railroad carreer began. Although I am still working for the corporate office which has been relocated, I will forever have the memories of the first railroad I worked on for Railmark Holdings....and that is the Michigan Air-Line Railway.

Fun facts about the MAL:

Our last revenue freight train was December 13th of 2011 which consisted of locomotive 1512, 1 empty flatcar, and 3 covered hoppers to the CSX interchange.

The final train ever on the MAL was March 25th of 2012 which consisted of 725 leading 1512, the Greenbank passenger car, the ex-Art Train caboose, and the ex-ATSF Vista Cavern to the CSX interchange.
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

I wonder how APT has been getting along without the MAL
Last edited by Michael on Thu May 24, 2012 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

NoviRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Although I didn't spend much time along the MAL, it's always a bummer to see the old lines go. But realistically, it's a wonder that the MAL was around as long as it was. As previously discussed, there were only a couple of semi-active customers and without traffic, there's little reason for these lines to stick around. It didn't seem like there was much effort or money invested back into the line either, which makes sense with such limited traffic but didn't bode well for the long-term.

Racer

Unread post by Racer »

The only active customers that I can trace back was American Plastic Toys (Last active and consistant customer), the railcar repairs at the shop in Walled Lake (Relocated off the MAL in 2009), the Lowe's Lumber Center near Decker Road (ended in the mid-90s), and railcar transloading at the Walled Lake Depot (Stopped in 2010), and then the Dinner Train and Scenic Express.

A&K officially removed the last peice of rail at the interchange in Wixom. The rails at the Wixom Road grade crossing are still in, but the rest is all gone. The only tracks remaining at the interchange is CSX's trackage and the MAL's portion is no more. :(
Last edited by Racer on Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Michael wrote:I wonder how APT has been getting along without the MAL
I have heard that there was a Northern Logistics bulk truck from Clare there the other day. That could possibly make sense because APT has another plant up near Roscommon that is served by Northern Logistics out of Clare.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

NoviRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Sounds like you're more familiar with any conflicts between Walled Lake and the MAL. But my understanding is that there'e very little control a city can exercise over a railroad operation. If the MAL wanted to keep on operating, I don't see how the city could have forced it out.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

NoviRailfan wrote:Sounds like you're more familiar with any conflicts between Walled Lake and the MAL. But my understanding is that there'e very little control a city can exercise over a railroad operation. If the MAL wanted to keep on operating, I don't see how the city could have forced it out.
Yes and no. There is little they can do with the actual operations of the railroad, but cities do have control over the things like stations and business operations. I'm sure they didn't make it easy for the railroad to conduct operations.

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

Chrisracer8903 wrote:The only active customers that I can trace back was American Plastic Toys (Last active and consistant customer), the railcar repairs at the shop in Walled Lake (Relocated off the MAL in 2009), the Lowe's Lumber Center near Decker Road (ended in the mid-90s), and railcar transloading at the Walled Lake Depot (Stopped in 2010), and then the Dinner Train and Scenic Express. This railroad did make profits from the freight and passenger trains (Mainly passenger), but Walled Lake really wanted the trains out badly and did anything they could to push the MAL out. You all wonder why the MAL is gone, you point to the city of Walled Lake who wanted the bike trail so badly. The city hindering with the MAL's passenger train business is one of the many bad choices the city has done and I could go on with further detail about this, but I won't. That's why I will never give a penny to any business in Walled Lake ever again.

A&K officially removed the last peice of rail at the interchange in Wixom. The rails at the Wixom Road grade crossing are still in, but the rest is all gone. The only tracks remaining at the interchange is CSX's trackage and the MAL's portion is no more. :(
Chris, there were lumber cars in there as late as July 2008.
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

ns8401 wrote:
Chrisracer8903 wrote:The only active customers that I can trace back was American Plastic Toys (Last active and consistant customer), the railcar repairs at the shop in Walled Lake (Relocated off the MAL in 2009), the Lowe's Lumber Center near Decker Road (ended in the mid-90s), and railcar transloading at the Walled Lake Depot (Stopped in 2010), and then the Dinner Train and Scenic Express. This railroad did make profits from the freight and passenger trains (Mainly passenger), but Walled Lake really wanted the trains out badly and did anything they could to push the MAL out. You all wonder why the MAL is gone, you point to the city of Walled Lake who wanted the bike trail so badly. The city hindering with the MAL's passenger train business is one of the many bad choices the city has done and I could go on with further detail about this, but I won't. That's why I will never give a penny to any business in Walled Lake ever again.

Chris, there were lumber cars in there as late as July 2008.
Careful Duva.... your talking to Mr. Railmark Part Time Marketing department there.... you know he knows everything about the line... he eats, sleeps and breathes the MAL... how dare you correct him. 8) 8) :lol: :lol:

Racer

Unread post by Racer »

ns8401 wrote:Chris, there were lumber cars in there as late as July 2008.
Are you sure your not talking about the lumber spur near Haggerty Road? Some of those lumber cars were transloading and they got relocated off the MAL, but I'm not 100% sure about that one.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Chrisracer8903 wrote:
Are you sure your not talking about the lumber spur near Haggerty Road? Some of those lumber cars were transloading and they got relocated off the MAL, but I'm not 100% sure about that one.
Home Quarters used the spur near Decker Rd until they closed in the 1990's. Haggerty Lumber (Erb, Stock) received rail service later but I do not know when they stopped (amybe that is who received until 2008?)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Robertrains »

TrainWatcher wrote:wow :shock:

This sums it up for sure! It's so sad that nothing could have kept the line intact! I had a great time seeing COE and MAL over the last few years! Last year was awesome watching them move out old passenger equipment + freight!

Tuesday 4-17 is the date CSX picked up the equipment at Wixom! The "Vista Cavern" was the only thing left at the interchange; I'm sure that's gone now! It was sold to Ferromex of Mexico!
Robert Jackson (Extreme Railfan/Bluewater and Michigan Transit Museum member)

http://cooltrains.rrpicturearchives.net/

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

My in laws got me this 5 DVD set called "The World's Greatest Railroads" and the COE/MAL's Dinner Train was featured on it :)

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Robertrains »

Michael wrote:My in laws got me this 5 DVD set called "The World's Greatest Railroads" and the COE/MAL's Dinner Train was featured on it :)

Is this the DVD set that you're talking about? http://www.amazon.com/The-Worlds-Greate ... 61-5504537

What other Railroads are featured in the set? How much North America is featured? Is it worth getting?
I already miss COE/MAL!!!!
Robert Jackson (Extreme Railfan/Bluewater and Michigan Transit Museum member)

http://cooltrains.rrpicturearchives.net/

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

Chrisracer8903 wrote:
That's the one I was thinking of, where was the other one?
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side