Working on the MAL

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
TrainWatcher
The Beast

Re: Working on the MAL

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

I have a few date nails from the MAL, most date from as Brian said between 40'-50's era, so late steam era on the MAL. The Star Clipper was a nice 1 time ride (did it with my folks for their anniversary) and it was enjoyable. However, with no track between Woodpecker Lake and PNT you weren't going to get much business out in Walled Lake. My thought would have been working with Williams Aviation (out off of Maple Road and M5) as they are the largest producer of small range business jet engines in Michigan. It would have been nice to see the line survive, but with GT letting the line go, Michigan Seamless Tube not wanting to ship or I should say not guaranteeing how many cars, the line was going to come to an end sooner of later. Here are a few of my shots from my final trips on the MAL. You might recognize a few people.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 239&nseq=3

Those were from October 2011.

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Robertrains »

Very nice pictures James! That day, 10-23-11, was sure one of the best times Railfanning!!!!
(I just can't say it enough!)
Robert Jackson (Extreme Railfan/Bluewater and Michigan Transit Museum member)

http://cooltrains.rrpicturearchives.net/

SW
Rail Trail Explorer

Unread post by SW »

I just biked past Seamless tube today in South Lyon and noticed all the track that used to be in the gated area west of the building was lifted recently, nothing but ties and plates left. From another thread about Coe Rail a few years ago:
CAT345C wrote:If only Michigan Seamless tube would have committed to some car loads, then we would possibly still have part of the line from CSX to the plant in South Lyon, was back there a few weeks ago digging a foundation for a new transformer station pad and noticed that he entire rail system is still intact on the property, also found out that the old coal dump area is still used for random scrap and rip rap.
Owosso Steve

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

Stopped by Wixom today, CSX was there pulling the remainder of the track out and it looked like they pulled up the switch too. They dragged the rail south a ways towards Pontiac trail. Also crossing lights were gone from Pontiac Trail
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

CAT345C wrote:Stopped by Wixom today, CSX was there pulling the remainder of the track out and it looked like they pulled up the switch too. They dragged the rail south a ways towards Pontiac trail. Also crossing lights were gone from Pontiac Trail
Not surprised by that, they have plenty of spurs in Lincoln Yard to place MofW and BO cars such as the remainder of the MAL/CSX interchange track on the Southwest corner of the former junction.
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

CAT345C wrote:Stopped by Wixom today, CSX was there pulling the remainder of the track out and it looked like they pulled up the switch too. They dragged the rail south a ways towards Pontiac trail. Also crossing lights were gone from Pontiac Trail

Where are they taking the rail? What was the motive power for that train? It was April 17, 2012 that the old COE equipment left the interchange! Man, now there's no more track left which connected to the old COE Rail!!!!
Are there any plans to haul the old crossing lights by rail?

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

Chrisracer8903 wrote:
Not surprised by that, they have plenty of spurs in Lincoln Yard to place MofW and BO cars such as the remainder of the MAL/CSX interchange track on the Southwest corner of the former junction.

That track was the ramp track all my charts say it never connected to the MAL. The lights were hauled off by A&K in a scrap dumpster. The rail is all 100lb which was unique to GTW so Csx will likely put it in a dumpster and scrap it. Really doubt any of this is moving by rail.

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

CAT345C wrote: That track was the ramp track all my charts say it never connected to the MAL.

I thought you were referring to the old COE/MAL interchange track! Is this a different area you are referring?
I see another post, by SW, from 4-6. Is that it? If the interchange is still in—are there any plans to remove that?

59caddy
bag of holding

Unread post by 59caddy »

I'd like to make a photo tour of the former ROW. If I traverse the tracks, would that be trespassing? Also, what's the current status of the former tracks?

Racer

Unread post by Racer »

Currently the old ROW is just a leveled dirt path. I would suggest to NOT walk down the path until the bike trail is complete (For legal reasons).
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

That line is already a trail around Sylvan Lake and Keego Harbor.

Racer

Unread post by Racer »

GTW6401 wrote:That line is already a trail around Sylvan Lake and Keego Harbor.
I was referring to the CSX interchange to Haggerty Road regarding the dirt path. Also, somewhere East of Old Plank Road to the CSX in Wixom was never built into the bike trail including the former crossing over the Korex plant entrance. Also, there are gates in place just east of Haggerty Road to keep people from cutting through towards Woodpecker Lake - similar set-up to what they did when they ripped-up the CN/GTW Romeo Sub to keep people from cutting between the major roads.

59caddy
bag of holding

Unread post by 59caddy »

Are any of the old industrial spurs still there?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

59caddy wrote:Are any of the old industrial spurs still there?
Everything is gone
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

My first night on the MAL.......

I started working for the outfit in the summer of 2010 and was overjoyed to be "getting paid to be around trains" I was a track worker for the contracting company and spent most of my time running around working on track out of state. One afternoon I was called at my day job and asked if I could come in that evening and respot some hoppers. I arrived at 8 pm that night and got the run down on what was needed to be done and formal safety briefing there was 3 cara to retrieve from interchange and 2 to take down. Since 725 had dead batteries we opted to do things the long way and use the switcher. We ran to interchange and found 8 cars instead of 3. Now that our plan of rolling by was foiled we dragged everything back to walled lake. We ended up jump starting the funit, not fun for anybody that's ever had to jump a locomotive. Once 725 was running and warmed up we began shuffling cars around and eventually ended up with 1512 back on the west end of the new loads. We then made our way to the customer and arrived at about midnight.....it was only a "couple hours" I kept thinking. Upon walking the cut at the customer it was found out the cara were not yet secured so then we spent about an hour looking for somebody in the plant who was able to disconnect the cars and close the hatches..finally at about 130am we started moving cars. The cars order needed to be flipped and the new ones mixed in so they could suck the right mixture out of the cars. About 4 am we got done reordering cars and proceeded to get "by" the two cars that had to go back to Csx. Flat spots and a switch frog stopped us dead with the engine trapped so out came the car stick and two young guys tired and annoyed. We finally got by and shoved the couple miles back to Csx. On the way west I met a picker bush, a large free branch and lost my hat somewhere by neck road. I ended up getting done just in to take a shower and go back to my day job. My first night switching cars I learned that there is no such thing as a "couple hours" or a quick move in railroading. If it there is any possibility to take hours on end well it will. I hope I didn't bore anybody with my story and apologize any grammatical errors this was typed out on an iPhone.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

CAT345C wrote:My first night on the MAL.......
I hope I didn't bore anybody with my story and apologize any grammatical errors this was typed out on an iPhone.
I enjoyed it :) Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought it would take 8 hours to pick up a few cars at the CSX interchange track and move them a few miles to the customers spur. But when everything goes wrong and you simply can't pick up the car (like using a 5 finger switcher in model railroading :) it takes a long time.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

Another good memory was when the hi rail truck caught on fire while backing from Wixom to walled lake.

Old Hogger
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Old Hogger »

CAT345C wrote:My first night on the MAL.......

I started working for the outfit in the summer of 2010 and was overjoyed to be "getting paid to be around trains" I was a track worker for the contracting company and spent most of my time running around working on track out of state. One afternoon I was called at my day job and asked if I could come in that evening and respot some hoppers. I arrived at 8 pm that night and got the run down on what was needed to be done and formal safety briefing there was 3 cara to retrieve from interchange and 2 to take down. Since 725 had dead batteries we opted to do things the long way and use the switcher. We ran to interchange and found 8 cars instead of 3. Now that our plan of rolling by was foiled we dragged everything back to walled lake. We ended up jump starting the funit, not fun for anybody that's ever had to jump a locomotive. Once 725 was running and warmed up we began shuffling cars around and eventually ended up with 1512 back on the west end of the new loads. We then made our way to the customer and arrived at about midnight.....it was only a "couple hours" I kept thinking. Upon walking the cut at the customer it was found out the cara were not yet secured so then we spent about an hour looking for somebody in the plant who was able to disconnect the cars and close the hatches..finally at about 130am we started moving cars. The cars order needed to be flipped and the new ones mixed in so they could suck the right mixture out of the cars. About 4 am we got done reordering cars and proceeded to get "by" the two cars that had to go back to Csx. Flat spots and a switch frog stopped us dead with the engine trapped so out came the car stick and two young guys tired and annoyed. We finally got by and shoved the couple miles back to Csx. On the way west I met a picker bush, a large free branch and lost my hat somewhere by neck road. I ended up getting done just in to take a shower and go back to my day job. My first night switching cars I learned that there is no such thing as a "couple hours" or a quick move in railroading. If it there is any possibility to take hours on end well it will. I hope I didn't bore anybody with my story and apologize any grammatical errors this was typed out on an iPhone.
Laughed pretty good Mike, thanks for posting. I hated that car pole, had to use it way too many times.

59caddy
bag of holding

Unread post by 59caddy »

No offense, but the railroad had every reason to go out of business :| :lol:

AWF
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AWF »

CAT345C wrote:Another good memory was when the hi rail truck caught on fire while backing from Wixom to walled lake.
Now that was a different experience...stupid truck.
-AWF
Aaron