A Brand New Mineral Range

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

A Brand New Mineral Range

Unread post by jimnorthwood »

Purpose is to serve the new Kennecott operation near Humboldt. According to the STB filing MR will acquire from LS&I the 12 miles of track from Ishpeming to Humboldt Jct. MR will also purchasethe two mile segment from Humboldt Jct to Humboldt. It is currently railbanked, with rails having been removed. A 3/4 mile segment between Humboldt to Humboldt Mill, also sans rails, is owned by Kennecott. The far southern section of this line, which is not involved in this transaction, used to continue on to Republic.

http://www.stb.dot.gov/filings/all.nsf/ ... 231171.PDF

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Re: A Brand New Mineral Range

Unread post by SD80MAC »

So are they rebuilding Humboldt Jct. to Humboldt?
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Conrail Jon wrote:So are they rebuilding Humboldt Jct. to Humboldt?
That is how I read it 8)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

This is wonderful news! 2 years ago myself and CERY drove down the hole line out to Republic, its still in very good shape just needs some finish grading and a little stone.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

CERY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CERY »

CAT345C wrote:This is wonderful news! 2 years ago myself and CERY drove down the hole line out to Republic, its still in very good shape just needs some finish grading and a little stone.
It's "Whole" with a w and yes the sub roadbed is still very much intact. They should be able to get it back in service in no time at all.
Semi-retired railroader

blackjack1518
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by blackjack1518 »

The track to the Humboldt Mill was taken up in the last 5 to 10 years.

dmitzel
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by dmitzel »

Great news that rail is going back in, rather than more mileage taken up.

I really hope that mining activity continues to pick up in the U.P. - God knows we need the jobs, even if they're "up North."
D.M. Mitzel
Div. 8-NCR-NMRA
Oxford, Mich.

Clay320
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Clay320 »

Will this be operated as its own railroad or is it going to be owned/operated by the mine, and be more of a industrial railroad?

blackjack1518
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by blackjack1518 »

Clint Jones owned and operated Winthrop Jct. to Pluto as Mineral Range. In 2004 he sold the whole operation to Mr. Vreeland including the locomotive. Mineral Range Inc. is the corporate identity retained by Clint Jones but without an operation until this new line gets going.
Clay320 wrote:Will this be operated as its own railroad or is it going to be owned/operated by the mine, and be more of a industrial railroad?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

From Andrew at MIRR.com with pictures
http://members4.boardhost.com/OtherUPRR ... 51150.html
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Posted by Jim Elbe on 7/9/2014, 4:52 pm

Apparently in the near future an ex-Rail America GP9 with be hauled over to Hogan Ore Yard for Mineral Range, Inc. This is per a post in the TwinPorts Yahoo group. The unit is ILSX 1323 and is currently at the ILSX facility in Bethel, MN.

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

Hogan Yard? Wasn't Hogan taken out in 2003-2004 when they pulled the LS&I Republic Sub? Did they rebuild the yard too? Or is the computer still Liston Hogan
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e