Marquette Rail Sixth Annual Santa Express! 2011

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
i995impalass
Yooper Foamer

Re: Marquette Rail Sixth Annual Santa Express! 2011

Unread post by i995impalass »

MQT3001 wrote:Any word on power yet?
Yup. You guys have to wait till Saturday tho.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Man you are mean :x :x :lol: :lol:
when are you guys taking that grain train north (the one that had a derailment in Lansing)?
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

i995impalass wrote:
MQT3001 wrote:Any word on power yet?
Yup. You guys have to wait till Saturday tho.
I'd put my money on this:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Wasn't 2635 returned a few months ago? If its a yellow barf (ex UP), then I'll stop at Meijer and grab some Tomatoes to throw :x :x :x :x
Anyway, the forecast just gets better and better:
Thursday has a 'chance' of snow, high of 33
Friday has a 30% of Lake-Effect Snow Shoers, High of 32
Saturday has a 40% chance of Lake Effect, with a high of 27
Looks like pants and boots, not shorts and sandals :D

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

MQT3001 wrote:Wasn't 2635 returned a few months ago?
It was? Well, that's too bad if so, considering it had the nice paint scheme and the MQT logo. I preferred that engine over the rest for the Santa train.
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

J T wrote:
MQT3001 wrote:Wasn't 2635 returned a few months ago?
It was? Well, that's too bad if so, considering it had the nice paint scheme and the MQT logo. I preferred that engine over the rest for the Santa train.
Re: CSX ( MI ) TRAIN LOCATION UPDATES SEPT 17, 2011

by cnw8835 on Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:48 am

In the last 2 hours around GR, D900 went west light power. Don't know how far they are going or for what reason exactly. D006 was doing what I believe was tie pick up duty. Worked first just west of Seymour and should now be around milepost 138. Will be going east to the Grand Ledge and Lansing areas yet.
Also of note, both KRR units are at the house still tied onto the inbound power from 326. GMTX 2635 is there as well with all of its MQT lettering removed.
Sad, sad, sad. This will also happen to 3001 eventually, rendering my username on both Youtube and here meaningless.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

MQT3001 wrote: Sad, sad, sad. This will also happen to 3001 eventually, rendering my username on both Youtube and here meaningless.
Oh yeah? Has there been talk of Linus taking his locomotive back? I must have missed that as well.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

J T wrote:
MQT3001 wrote: Sad, sad, sad. This will also happen to 3001 eventually, rendering my username on both Youtube and here meaningless.
Oh yeah? Has there been talk of Linus taking his locomotive back? I must have missed that as well.
Well there has been no talk of taking 3001 back, but it is leased, not bought. I don't know, but I wonder if there is a lease-to-buy option at the end of the lease agreement. I'd love to see 3001 live out the rest of it's life on the MQT., then go to die on display along the Line or in my backyard. Also, foes MQT own the lines outright? I thought they signed a lease agreement with CSX, with an option to buy when the lease was up--A. When is the lease up. or B. Has MQT already bought the lines
:?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

BB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BB »

Great picture J T, can't recall seeing this one before. Which location is that?
MQT Rail pictures at [url=http://bbarch_railfan.rrpicturearchives.net/default.aspx]RRPictureArchives.NET[/url]
Brandon

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

BB wrote:Great picture J T, can't recall seeing this one before. Which location is that?
Thanks, B. That was shot from the overpass on the north side of Newaygo.

A couple more from last year:

White Cloud:

Gordon Rd. just west of Scottville:

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Nice shots. Wish I could go all the way to Ludington--but not enough time to do so :cry: Wist 2635 out, I'd say 3001 HAS to be pulling it

i995impalass
Yooper Foamer

MQT3001 wrote:Man you are mean :x :x :lol: :lol:
when are you guys taking that grain train north (the one that had a derailment in Lansing)?
Grain train was picked up Friday night and brought back down last night.
MQT3001 wrote: Wist 2635 out, I'd say 3001 HAS to be pulling it
Why do you say that?
J T wrote:
BB wrote:Great picture J T, can't recall seeing this one before. Which location is that?
Thanks, B. That was shot from the overpass on the north side of Newaygo.

A couple more from last year:

White Cloud:

Gordon Rd. just west of Scottville:
Always liked your pics JT. You still have the one picture with the pedal bike snowplow? I wonder if he will return this year!

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

i995impalass wrote:
MQT3001 wrote: With 2635 out, I'd say 3001 HAS to be pulling it
Why do you say that?
I say that because 3001 is the last one that has a believeable paint scheme for MQT. The new ex UP units do have MQT lettering, but still show much of their old owner's junk (I've always hated that yellow--I call it "puke yellow"). 3002 & 3003 are still in that dreary gary. All this as of last reported sighting. Of course that ex GTW unit is still in COMPLETE GT markings, not even MQT.
Unless of course santa brought has sand blaster and paint gun.
Ahh well-suprise me!
I'm hoping for PM 1225, but someone would've spilled the beans by now... :(

rsinoms
Human Moose Elephant

Unread post by rsinoms »

I just got a call from the trainmaster at Marquette Rail. He reported to me that the power would be special this year and they have made a special rig so the train can be pulled by... Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donder, Blitzen and of course Rudolph with his nose so bright... He will be leading the Marquette Santa Train into the night!!!

I am so glad I could put the power rumors to bed... So Merry Christmas to all... and to all a Good Night!!!
You say trestle... I say Trussell!!!

CERY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CERY »

MQT3001 wrote:
i995impalass wrote:
MQT3001 wrote: With 2635 out, I'd say 3001 HAS to be pulling it
Why do you say that?
I say that because 3001 is the last one that has a believeable paint scheme for MQT. The new ex UP units do have MQT lettering, but still show much of their old owner's junk (I've always hated that yellow--I call it "puke yellow"). 3002 & 3003 are still in that dreary gary. All this as of last reported sighting. Of course that ex GTW unit is still in COMPLETE GT markings, not even MQT.
Ahh well-suprise me!
Ok, simmer down now.

The power will be what ever is on hand and not needed on revenue runs. If that means GLLX 4433, GLLX 3002, GLLX 3003 or one of the former UP units then thats what will be on the train. Pere Marquette 1225 will not be on the train, last I heard she was still torn apart for maintenance.

Remember this even is more about giving back to the community and raising railroad awareness then it is about putting on a show for foamers. Just be glad that the wonderful folks at Marquette Rail put the event on.
Semi-retired railroader

i995impalass
Yooper Foamer

rsinoms wrote:I just got a call from the trainmaster at Marquette Rail. He reported to me that the power would be special this year and they have made a special rig so the train can be pulled by... Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donder, Blitzen and of course Rudolph with his nose so bright... He will be leading the Marquette Santa Train into the night!!!

I am so glad I could put the power rumors to bed... So Merry Christmas to all... and to all a Good Night!!!
HA! That guy must be out of his mind. Ore on the brain or something.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

i995impalass wrote: Always liked your pics JT. You still have the one picture with the pedal bike snowplow? I wonder if he will return this year!
Thanks, Chris. I doubt he'll be out this Saturday without any snow, though.

MQT3001 wrote: I say that because 3001 is the last one that has a believeable paint scheme for MQT. The new ex UP units do have MQT lettering, but still show much of their old owner's junk (I've always hated that yellow--I call it "puke yellow"). 3002 & 3003 are still in that dreary gary. All this as of last reported sighting. Of course that ex GTW unit is still in COMPLETE GT markings, not even MQT.
Ahh well-suprise me!
Foamers...ya gotta love 'em! :lol:

EJE Dispatcher
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EJE Dispatcher »

Geez, I might have to bring some de-foamer with me to cut down on the phoam :wink: . As far as the power - who care as long as it runs, the x-mas lights all work and Santa doesn't get lost.. I going to spell the beans on the power so that everybody can get it out of their system.... It will be a phoamer powered hand cart!!!!! :lol:

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

J T wrote:
i995impalass wrote: Always liked your pics JT. You still have the one picture with the pedal bike snowplow? I wonder if he will return this year!
Thanks, Chris. I doubt he'll be out this Saturday without any snow, though.

MQT3001 wrote: I say that because 3001 is the last one that has a believeable paint scheme for MQT. The new ex UP units do have MQT lettering, but still show much of their old owner's junk (I've always hated that yellow--I call it "puke yellow"). 3002 & 3003 are still in that dreary gary. All this as of last reported sighting. Of course that ex GTW unit is still in COMPLETE GT markings, not even MQT.
Ahh well-suprise me!
Foamers...ya gotta love 'em! :lol:
Ya, I guess its over the top, and the train IS a great gesture by MQT to it's communities. I was doing the foamer, but I'm still going anyway, reguardless of power.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Bill Steffen now saying 1-3 inches between Thursday night and Saturday morning. Hmmm...