D&M Engines?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
UncleRaul
Railroadfan...fan

D&M Engines?

Unread post by UncleRaul »

Are there any D&M engines still active in Mich (or elsewhere for that matter)? I know that 974 and 975 were scrapped, which makes me sad, but that's the way. I remember when I found out that these locos still existed. It made me smile to think that they were still trudging away in the Northern L.P.

Anyway, just thought I'd ask.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Re: D&M Engines?

Unread post by SD80MAC »

The remaining D&M/LSRC Alcos (181, 281, 381, 1280 and 469 come to mind, along with the MLW's) are stored and out of service at the former CSX roundhouse in Saginaw, as LSRC is an all EMD railroad now.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

UncleRaul wrote:Are there any D&M engines still active in Mich (or elsewhere for that matter)? I know that 974 and 975 were scrapped, which makes me sad, but that's the way. I remember when I found out that these locos still existed. It made me smile to think that they were still trudging away in the Northern L.P.

Anyway, just thought I'd ask.
Last I heard of ALCOs in Alpena was the final southbound rock loads in Dec 2009. After the open hoppers stopped, ALCOs weren't seen again. :( :cry:
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

CERY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CERY »

They are currently for sale and at a good price.
Semi-retired railroader

LSRC
Flat River Rat

Unread post by LSRC »

Last I heard of ALCOs in Alpena was the final southbound rock loads in Dec 2009. After the open hoppers stopped, ALCOs weren't seen again.
Although most were placed in storage at this time, the 1280 and 3504, along with the 2003 which is not in the storage/dead line, still came to Alpena on a semi-regular basis until late February or early March of 2010.

If I remember correctly, all but the 1280 were in storage by the time that that stone season started in 2010. The 1280 lived out her final days running on various jobs and extras in the Bay City/Saginaw area until June 2010.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

LSRC wrote:
Last I heard of ALCOs in Alpena was the final southbound rock loads in Dec 2009. After the open hoppers stopped, ALCOs weren't seen again.
Although most were placed in storage at this time, the 1280 and 3504, along with the 2003 which is not in the storage/dead line, still came to Alpena on a semi-regular basis until late February or early March of 2010.

If I remember correctly, all but the 1280 were in storage by the time that that stone season started in 2010. The 1280 lived out her final days running on various jobs and extras in the Bay City/Saginaw area until June 2010.
Sad to see them go. I started Filming trains in Alpena in June 2010! I always liked the Alcos, my favorite spot was the hill at Werth, with all the smoke! I'd offer LSRC/SBS $1 for a horn...

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

Also have the MSO 466 down in White Pigeon.

Clay320
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Clay320 »

CERY wrote:They are currently for sale and at a good price.
http://www.sterlingrail.com/classifieds ... ive&fsw=FS

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Clay320 wrote:
CERY wrote:They are currently for sale and at a good price.
http://www.sterlingrail.com/classifieds ... ive&fsw=FS
I'll raise my bid to $20 for 381's horn

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Robertrains »

It is sad that all of their Alcos are retired; their days are done on LSRC! I believe C425M-AC #1280 was the last one to pull a freight train. I'm glad I have seen LSRC Alcos pulling freight trains over the years!

My photo album of LSRC Alcos: http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/archiv ... x?id=66481
Robert Jackson (Extreme Railfan/Bluewater and Michigan Transit Museum member)

http://cooltrains.rrpicturearchives.net/

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Robertrains wrote:It is sad that all of their Alcos are retired; their days are done on LSRC! I believe C425M-AC #1280 was the last one to pull a freight train. I'm glad I have seen LSRC Alcos pulling freight trains over the years!

My photo album of LSRC Alcos: http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/archiv ... x?id=66481
Nice pictures. Wish CSX youd let you do that in the Wyoming Yard :o

lightning
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by lightning »

It was time....they need bigger power to haul more freight. they'd have to have 4or5 engines to haul what 2 of the other engines will haul...more cost effective.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

lightning wrote:It was time....they need bigger power to haul more freight. they'd have to have 4or5 engines to haul what 2 of the other engines will haul...more cost effective.
I hear conflicting reports about the pulling power of ALCo's. If what I read is accurate they have only about 75% of the tractive effort of their EMD counterparts. Yet, people I talk to who operated them say ALCo's will outpull anything EMD ever put out. My uncle who worked for GTW in the 1950's said an S2 or 4 could pull about double what the SW's could.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

It would not surprise me if the Delaware-Lackawanna railroad was not looking at these unit's reason i say is they have a very eclectic mix of 4 and six axle Alco's already. That would be a good home for them.

lightning
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by lightning »

THEY'RE ALL SOLD- MEETIN' THEIR MAKER....EXCEPT 469 & EMD'S (2052-371-2003)...AND OF COURSE THE NEW OLD ONES... :lol:

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

lightning wrote:THEY'RE ALL SOLD- MEETIN' THEIR MAKER....EXCEPT 469 & EMD'S (2052-371-2003)...AND OF COURSE THE NEW OLD ONES... :lol:
Are the 371 and the 2003 going to run again sometime or just to much wrong with them just wondering.

EJ&ESDM809
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EJ&ESDM809 »

They're scrapping them? If so, that truely is a shame, especially since they're operatable!
Robby Gragg - Proud fan of the EJ&E Railway

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Former D&M RS2 #977 also still exists - on the MSO in White Pigeon. Also, I think the S1 #646 was trucked off when it was sold a while ago....not sure where it ended up though.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

EJ&ESDM809 wrote:They're scrapping them? If so, that truely is a shame, especially since they're operatable!
I do believe they need some work. Asking around in ALPENA, MI, the most northery point on their Huron sub, a scrap company bought them and was taking pieces off to either re sell or scrap them. Earlier this summer, I saw one of them go in Alpena--check out my Youtube page for that: www.youtube.com/user/mqt3001
as earlier mentioned, they used less engines with GP-40-3s, and is easier to switch some locations, such as the Lafarge Alpena Plant. another reason to get rid of them was the pool of replacement parts for the Alcos was quickely dissappering, while EMD's uniformity with parts (same wheel bases, cover panels) allows for cheaper repairs, and those tired Alcos needed many parts to extend their life any real length of time
Sad to see them go, but hey, you can put it in your yard for $70,000 + taxes :D

12Bridge
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 12Bridge »

I know theres a rather lengthy thread here about Alcos and part sources..