The north to get Busier.

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

The north to get Busier.

Unread post by GLC 392 »

Sounds like the line from Cadillac north to Elmira might be getting busier for the GLC. Im not 100% sure on all the details of this yet but sounds like there is going to be 40+ cars a week of Frac sand being trans-loaded in Elmira unsure of where the sand is going to be coming from but who cares more business and hopefully this will lead to more in the future.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Re: The north to get Busier.

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

Outbound or inbound? I haven't heard anything about renewed drilling up there but a Canadian company paid a lot of money this spring / last year? for the annual lease of mineral rights from the State of MI (record amount:).

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

I believe the sand would be coming in y rail and sent out by truck.

Rick in TC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Rick in TC »

I wonder- coming from Yuma sad pit? Seems not likely, otherwise it would just be trucked. Maybe another source? Let's get more traffic for the TC branch! :twisted:

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks for the update GLC.

On my paper railroad, Ann Arbor & Michigan Northern, Elmira became a transload for flyash after the cement switched to truck.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Last edited by Raildudes dad on Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I do wonder why its necessary to ship frac sand in while places like Yuma and Ludington (via Muskegon) are shipping it out? Are there different grades of frac sand?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

Different taste of Sand for different types of fracing.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

GLC 392 wrote:Different taste of Sand for different types of fracing.
Would you happen to know where this frac sand is coming from? Seems like CN has a few sand pits in WI that are getting busier lately and I'm wondering if its coming from one of those :?

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

The frac sand info I posted says Yuma, Ottawa IL and Texas depending on the gradation they prefer and geographic location.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Raildudes dad wrote:The frac sand info I posted says Yuma, Ottawa IL and Texas depending on the gradation they prefer and geographic location.
IIRC the Ottawa IL location is served by CN

I'm also wondering if this was the sand originally scheduled to go to Yuma to mix with Yuma sand but was cancelled after a few carloads because the drillers wanted the sand faster than it could get delivered to Yuma, mixed, and resent.

John Ryan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by John Ryan »

AARR wrote:IIRC the Ottawa IL location is served by CN
The Ottawa that I am familiar with is served by CSX, as part of their New Rock Sub. The Illinois Railway also has a line up to Aurora. Iowa Interstate trains operate through on CSX.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

Yes Ottawa is served by the daily local out of Barr yard, by CSX.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

When i was at Blue Island Jct on Labor Day weekend i saw this Local about 0700 hundred hours Central Time it was light out enough i was able to take pictures he had a total of 124 cars and 8 Locomotives must have been a power move because not all engine's where on line. He had 35 loads of sand that was pretty neat. He came off the old Rock Island main line, Pulled all the way through the Junction and backed his train up to Barr Yard on the B&OCT.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

Yep that it. I have them in the Wiki, J745/746. J746 comes in from Ottawa, in the moring, crew goes to hotel. At night around 0100 or so, J745 comes on duity and heads back to Owatta.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!