Ann Arbor Railway - Rail America

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Ann Arbor Railway - Rail America

Unread post by AARR »

This was leaked out on several other sites yesterday so I guess I can post something I've been hearing for the last month or two that there should be an official announcement the 1st week of Nov that Rail America will acquire Ann Arbor Railway.

I don't have inside info guys so if it doesn't happen don't bomb me with rotten fruit and trash :lol:

Also, I hear RA is very interested in GLC and W&LE and I doubt that's a big secret to anyone. But being interested doesn't necessarily mean a successful acquisition. However, RA tends to get what they want cause money talks.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Ann Arbor Railway - Rail America

Unread post by chapmaja »

I think they might have a problem getting the W&LE as they want it. The agreement with NS that spun off the railroad (or as a condition of the Conrail split ICRFS) gives them trackage rights over the NS line into Toledo provided the railroad isn't sold off. If RA buys the line the direct link between the W&LE and Toledo would be gone and to access Toledo they would have to head to Lima and up the IORY.

I think the part of the GLC they want is Osmer to Owosso so they can access the HESR railroad complex. I'm not sure if they really want the GLC north of their, except possibly for the grain traffic.

If they go after the GLC I wonder what will happen nort of Owosso to the lines.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

chapmaja wrote:I think they might have a problem getting the W&LE as they want it. The agreement with NS that spun off the railroad (or as a condition of the Conrail split ICRFS) gives them trackage rights over the NS line into Toledo provided the railroad isn't sold off. If RA buys the line the direct link between the W&LE and Toledo would be gone and to access Toledo they would have to head to Lima and up the IORY.

I think the part of the GLC they want is Osmer to Owosso so they can access the HESR railroad complex. I'm not sure if they really want the GLC north of their, except possibly for the grain traffic.

If they go after the GLC I wonder what will happen nort of Owosso to the lines.
What I hear is RA wants to better utilize their CF&E line. W&LE fits into that model.

What I hear is RA wants GLC because they're making good money right now (the sand is flowing like in the good old days :). The segment between Ann Arbor and Durand is a secondary reason for their interest.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

As long as the line stays in place, I'm not opposed to the purchase of these lines. I hadn't thought of the CFW&E's place in this.

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

Like it said before the GLC deal wont happen, and sand isn't moving as much as you think it is.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

GLC 392 wrote:...and sand isn't moving as much as you think it is.
I was relaying comments from the CEO in the last issue of AARRT&HA. What's it really like?

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

it had been moving quite regularly and even got some newer cars but last time i had heard the Fraq sand had slowed up a bit..

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

GLC 392 wrote:it had been moving quite regularly and even got some newer cars but last time i had heard the Fraq sand had slowed up a bit..
Ok - darn the luck.

Buster and I saw some of the newer sand cars (MBLX?) in AA's Toledo yard a month ago or so. We also saw a block of 11-12 on a NS road train switching Homestead.

CSX Engineer
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSX Engineer »

Rumor floating around the Yard Office is that the WE is looking to take over the AA and GLC......Time will tell.

JANGAJONGA
Epic Fail B34 Master

Unread post by JANGAJONGA »

Maybe drum up some business in AA?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

JANGAJONGA wrote:Maybe drum up some business in AA?
I wish there was some business to drum up. Fingerle Lumber was large customer for years but as MI's economy has declined so has Fingerle's business to the point the almost closed a little while back but got some concessions from union and remained open for now.

There's a wee little place called Burt Forest Products who gets a car every now and then...maybe once a year. They have a spur but its on a steep decline and a little treacherous to say the least. Last car they received was unloaded at Fingerle...only car Fingerle has had in years.

I'm not aware of any place else in Ann Arbor that's potential customer for AA :(

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Well isn't the Annie is making money off the Toledo Jeep Plant, IIRC. Otherwise, I agree with Don, it's almost better to send the Annie off to a RA Property. Look at it this way, RA has been known just like the GLC to be able to drum up business. My feelings: Sad to see her go, but I want to see what she'll become.

JANGAJONGA
Epic Fail B34 Master

Unread post by JANGAJONGA »

Ya fingerle has not gotten a shipment in a while. Their siding is rusty and overgrown. Burts is still there but the rails are nearly paved over to get there. There are also numerous other abandoned sidings in aa. It would be cool if they could find some way to work with the u.

MIGN-Todd
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MIGN-Todd »

RailAmerica..... great......gee whiz......faceless..... possibly swallowing up two distinct railroads.... I've got to find another hobby, this one's too depressing lately. :cry:
U.S.Army Retired- under new management (see wife)

OwlCaboose2853
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OwlCaboose2853 »

JANGAJONGA wrote:Ya fingerle has not gotten a shipment in a while. Their siding is rusty and overgrown. Burts is still there but the rails are nearly paved over to get there. There are also numerous other abandoned sidings in aa. It would be cool if they could find some way to work with the u.
And also, JAC Products Inc. (ex-Automotive Components Holdings) for Saline Branch in Saline. They don't want freight train but trucker shipping only, someone said. RA can be a loser! :?
Amtrak Wolverines
NS Michigan Lines
Ann Arbor RR
The Monorail Society

Steven R. Williams

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

OwlCaboose2853 wrote:
JANGAJONGA wrote:Ya fingerle has not gotten a shipment in a while. Their siding is rusty and overgrown. Burts is still there but the rails are nearly paved over to get there. There are also numerous other abandoned sidings in aa. It would be cool if they could find some way to work with the u.
And also, JAC Products Inc. (ex-Automotive Components Holdings) for Saline Branch in Saline. They don't want freight train but trucker shipping only, someone said. RA can be a loser! :?
I didn't realize this plant was sold...They currently ship about 12 cars per week (to St. Paul and Kansas City...I think). I don't know if the still receive plastic by rail as other Ford plants have started using rail to truck terminals because the truckers will stay and unload their trucks which I guess saves Ford money. This plant used to get switched 2x per day M-F and once on Saturday when vehicle business was good.

renf
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by renf »

There are now many efforts to capture natural gas in the Marcellus field that lies under much of Pennsylvania and western New York. To get that gas to the surface, I infer than much fracting sand is needed. The Ann Arbor is now
shipping sand to that area. If the exploration of natural gas continues, will there be a very substantial increase in
the shipments of sand on the Ann Arbor?
I wonder how the administrators of Rail America feel about the propsoed Wally commuter train? Does
Rail America current operate any regularly scheduled passenger trains?

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

AARR wrote:Also, I hear RA is very interested in GLC and W&LE and I doubt that's a big secret to anyone. But being interested doesn't necessarily mean a successful acquisition. However, RA tends to get what they want cause money talks.
Ann Arbor hasn't painted power in who knows when and RA ownership wouldn't help that - however, if they got the Wheeling that'd be a sad, sad day for a beautifully (if not completely) painted regional rail fleet.

I'd still miss AA Geeps locally, but who knows, maybe I'll end up with FEC Geeps switching the Jeep plant! :roll: :lol:
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

MDH wrote:I'd still miss AA Geeps locally, but who knows, maybe I'll end up with FEC Geeps switching the Jeep plant! :roll: :lol:
And I'll end up with pairs of AA Geeps working the I&O. :lol:
Bottom text.

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

Y@ wrote:
MDH wrote:I'd still miss AA Geeps locally, but who knows, maybe I'll end up with FEC Geeps switching the Jeep plant! :roll: :lol:
And I'll end up with pairs of AA Geeps working the I&O. :lol:
This is all well and good and entertaining, but when it comes to what's actually going on...

Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO