CP TRAINS

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Bentrail
Railroadfan...fan

CP TRAINS

Unread post by Bentrail »

Hey Gridejq have you heard any talk about CP coming back to CSX.
From what i hearing is the NS only want 2 trains each way and nothing more.
im out.

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Re: CP TRAINS

Unread post by Norm »

Bentrail,

For economic reasons NS would like to dump most of the Michigan Line. Can't say I blame management for that.
A few Amtrak runs and a couple of locals a day does not make money for the company. Most of the businesses along the line have folded.

Amtrak needs the line, but does not have the finances to buy it in it's entirety.
Norm

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

Norm CP dose not run on the Michigan Line. They run down the old Wabash and across the Chicago Line.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

gridejq
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by gridejq »

Hey Bentrail-

Over the summer I had mentioned that NS wasnt happy with CP and so forth and even with reduced traffic and so forth its still the same story....NS wants the CP trains out of their "hot" auto parts and Roadrailer trains....the "rumor" regarding two trains only seems to be the number that is being passed around alot in the last month...with CSX back to running Q324 daily and alot of MI traffic put on it to Toledo and then forwarded on Q322/Q335/Q392...seems like its working somewhat even though Q326 still has been decent sized enough to even warrant a few extras so far...CSX wants to get rid of west of Plymouth and has been sniffing for offers and so far no one has a put a serious bid or anything to the liking of the CSX BUT CSX is trying to scale back as far they can so when they change over...it will be as "smooth" as it can be for the railroad (ha ha thats a joke)....CSX does want to mainline GR and RUMOR and only rumor so far is that CSX would like to get the CP trains to use the Porter Branch at Porter into and out of the city...this is pretty much all a rumor but could be done considering that CP would and has been interested in running their own line across MI and they may get their wish...from CP management though, they are waiting on a decision what they are going to do with the PRB and so forth before they make a HUGE purchase....the CP would like to open a direct route to any plants interested in PRB coal depending on what they can market and also what happens with Obama's "Clean-coal" idea....alot of factors to be played out but overall NS would like to get rid of the CP except a few trains and move the rest to the CSX depending on the price...we shall see pretty soon with more changes expected in March...

GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GrandTrunkFan »

This is pretty interesting, keep us posted. :)
Nick

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

CSX has been 'shopping' the PM across Michigan for probably the better part of 20 years to CP. CP has never 'jumped' on the ability to purchase the line and 'control their own destiny'. With the economy as it is, the economic prospect of business in Michigan, and how tightly the railroads are running their operations, I just do not see CP changing their minds and purchasing the line from CSX.

Practice Safe CSX

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

CP has gotta do something sooner or later. NS is slowly wringing them dry from moving anything across Michigan. Last week X500 came through Plymouth that was abnormally huge and it was all Ethenole traffic from the DME/ ICE that CP needs to run across, but need to put on that train because of NS's issues. It shows that CP is expanding despite the recession, and NS is no longer an option for them. It's rather they go atleast with haulage rights on CSX, then eventually CP buys it, or invest in a project such as expanding the Michigan Line for both CP and Amtrak, but they looked into the Michigan Line and found alot of problems with it, so I really doubt they will look at it again. If they keep going at this rate on NS, the CP traffic can be uneconomical to run because the traffic would need to run via Thunder Bay, Ontario. That is too much time and can loose customers due to delayed delivery times.
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Thank you for sharing your infinite wisdom, Chris.

The way I see it, by this time next year, the CSX Plymouth and GR Subs will look considerably different.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

well what about the haulage rights that CP had on CN for awhile, is that still in effect? or will CP split travel time between CSX and CN like they did for a few years. Is the connection at Melrose Diamond near London still in place?
Exit stage left

Racer

Unread post by Racer »

redside20 wrote:well what about the haulage rights that CP had on CN for awhile, is that still in effect? or will CP split travel time between CSX and CN like they did for a few years. Is the connection at Melrose Diamond near London still in place?
Are you talking about the 1 EB and 1 WB CP Train that ran daily through Durand? That lasted for less than a year, I believe that was in 2006? .
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

redside20

Chrisracer8903 wrote:
redside20 wrote:well what about the haulage rights that CP had on CN for awhile, is that still in effect? or will CP split travel time between CSX and CN like they did for a few years. Is the connection at Melrose Diamond near London still in place?
Are you talking about the 1 EB and 1 WB CP Train that ran daily through Durand? That lasted for less than a year, I believe that was in 2006? .
Chris you aren't called the Epic Fail king for nothing LOL. When i visited Durand in the fall of 2004 and summer of 2005, CP ran haulage trains then too. I believe a contract was ratified in 2002 or 2003 for CN allowing haulage CP trains on their tracks in that time period. CP ceased running on CN i believe right around the holiday season of 2005 for the greener pastures of the ns. not looking so green and rosy for CP now
Exit stage left

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Yea they were around longer then a year. CP is not comming back to the CSX, Why, look at the recent track record. Its not rocket science. Look at all the reports us, "CSX" keep saying, Doc, CSX_CO, me others. If anyone has noticed a track record, it is mostly get rid of everything. It shows a continual commitment that they want out of this state, why would they all the sudden bring CP back, and have to bring people back, just to get rid of it.

Racer

Unread post by Racer »

Go speak to Gregg, he was talking about that it lasted for about 6 months. I'm saying what I've heard, that's why I said "I believe" because I wasn't sure. EPIC FAIL for you not reading carefully.
Last edited by Racer on Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

redside20

Chrisracer8903 wrote:Go speak to Gregg, he was talking about that it lasted for about 6 months. I'm saying what I've heard, that's why I said "I believe" because I wasn't sure. EPIC FAIL for you not reading carefully.
epic fail for listening to anything Gregg says LOL!
Exit stage left

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

That lasted for less than a year, I believe that was in 2006? .
Ok Chris, I try not to blast you too much as you are just "learning". But BIG EPIC FAIL X2 to you for not even knowing what you even said. YOU said "I believe that was in 2006" not I think thats how long it lasted.

Racer

Unread post by Racer »

Matt, if CSX wants to get rid of the lines so badly, why don't they give it all to CP? CSX wants to leave the line across Michigan, CP wants a line across Michigan, we have a solution! It's typically common sense which we know some of these railroaders don't have. Also, if CP decided to go ahead with the Powder River project, they can serve the West Olive and Essexville plants themselves and screw the BNSF contracts.
Last edited by Racer on Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

...and Matt, if CSX wants to get rid of the lines so badly, why don't they give it all to CP? CSX wants to leave the line across Michigan, CP wants a line across Michigan, we have a solution! It's typically common sense which we know some of these railroads don't have
Chris I dont know if you are asking a question or not, but I had never said, that CP was not comming to Michigan, I dont even know if they are. What I said, was that they will never be back on the lines in Michigan as long as CSX owns them.

Racer

Unread post by Racer »

It was a rhetorical question Matt.

redside20

Chrisracer8903 wrote:It was a rhetorical question Matt.

Sheesh
Exit stage left

redside20

redside20 wrote:
Chrisracer8903 wrote:It was a rhetorical question Matt.

Sheesh
ah the wisdom of youth
Exit stage left