Wyandotte NYC Depot?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Stitch
Railroadfan...fan

Wyandotte NYC Depot?

Unread post by Stitch »

In a previous thread that you could park and railfan at the old NYC Depot in Wyandotte and that it was off Oak street. Now doing some googling there are two buildings on the north side of Oak one is between the four tracks more or less in the center and another building just west of the farthest east track(old DT&I track??) is the building that was refered to one of these? If so which one? Or is it some other building/parking area??
Railpictures.net contributions -
Railroad Picture Archives.net - http://crow_t_robot.rrpicturearchives.net/
http://www.youtube.com/user/Spawn674 - I need a better video camera

Fred
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Wyandotte NYC Depot?

Unread post by Fred »

The station is located between the 4 mains, I believe the other is the ex DT&I frt house.

hobojim
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hobojim »

What is the best time for seeing the most trains now? My wife loves the NS horse logo and it would be a treat for her.
Jim

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

Fred is right. The depot sits in the middle of the 4 main, east to west, former DT&I now CN River sub. CR & NS Detroit line NB #2 . CR & NS Detroit line SB #1. Former D&TSL now CN Shoreline sub. The old DT&I frieght house is now occupied by Barry & Co. that use to be downtown Wyandotte. They had to gut the place to the outer wall and redo everything on the inside. I'am glad that it has a new lease on life and will be around for a while longer.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

The old NYC depot, which sits between the two NS mains, is now an Amer Legion Post, and has been for many years. They don't seem to mind the trains buffs, as there are sometimes a half dozen of us, on summer nights. There are trains around the clock, but most of us seem to show up in the evening. I once saw 14 trains, between around 7:00pm and 3 am. I was going to head home earlier, but the trains kept coming. At one point, there were actually three trains on the crossing at the same time.
I haven't been there lately, but like everywhere else, the trains are down. 17J has been cancelled. 69T may be cancelled or cut back, as well as 68T which brings the steel emptys back. And probably fewer rack trains, if any. There was usually a coal train in on the old DTand I, down to Detroit Edison, River Rouge plant. I assume they are still making electricity. There was always a couple CN or GTW north and south, on the Shoreline. I think NS 176 and 178 and 20V still run, along with 227.
Most of the trains are running at track speed, and like sex, the thrill only lasts a few seconds. No yard jobs or switching moves at Wyandotte.
I want to get down there again, when global warming returns. :lol:
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

hobojim
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hobojim »

post when you all plan to start meeting there.