Sights of the Upper Penisula 2008

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Sights of the Upper Penisula 2008

Unread post by CAT345C »

I finally got around to posting some shots from the trip I took to the UP in August. Here they are in no particular order.
SORE-1 on its way to Eagle Mills. Eagle Mills Jct. Track to the right is the CN to Negaunee. For some reason that tree was still alive at the end of our trip.Image
SORE-1 running light from Eagle Mills back to Partridge Yard. Scene at Eagle Mills Jct.
SORE-1 has now picked up its cars from Partridge Yard and is highballing to Little Lake to meet SORE-2. Seen from M35 along Goose Lake. What a sight this location is. Biggest hill that I've ever been on.
Me and Steven went down to Escanaba one day to try and find the ELS, on day one we did, but I made a second trip because my shots of the deadline were out of focus. Good thing we went back, found the 1201 coming from the car shops to the engne house in wells. Here they are throwing the switch to go back south to the round house.
The bridge in the background is the WC old CNW line from Gladstone and the Ore Sub into Escanaba that bridges the Escanaba River. We are not just a few hundred yard from the ELS shops. I would like to know why the ELS has such a bad rep with railfans, we were never once bothered by the crews. They acknowledged us more than most of the crews in lower michigan.
Next we are in West Yard, heres the old line to Big Bay that the steam train used to run on. Found some pretty cool stuff up where the line split away from the LS&I. Heres the old tracks. There were ore pellets and a spiked switch so maybe the LS&I stored some cars on the line at one point. Pay no attention to the two phoamers.
I think this was in the cab of 3006. Not sure. But if we kept rolling straight we would have ended up on the track that goes to the dock on the north side of the ore dock. Right behind the engine on static display.
A Roof shot of 3051 at Eagle Mills Jct. Oh and for Don Simon, all the ore trains are usually 120 car cuts or 60 car cuts.
Here we see a phoamer monkey other wise known as Steven
Later one day we caught the 1500 Tilden coming back into Eagle Mills at the South M35 crossing.
Next we found a ship on the south side of the ore dock. Its real sight at night
Lite power coming back into Eagle Mills. Prolly the 1500 yard job with Kawallchuck on it. Once again at the South M35 crossing.
One day we went to see the dead river trestle:
Phoamers
A really crazy phoamer in a raging river. 45 mins standing there for a shot that came out bad was a real experience.
Got lost one day and ended up finding the mineral range here ya go short line lovers:

Coming up to the scales one evening.
Going away from the scales to west yard.
3006 my favorite unit at Palmer Line Jct. This is my favorite spot, it evolved some nice off roading with bottoming out on rocks and sand traps.
1500-Yard with Kawalchuck
Will owner and producer of Iron Horse America at Empire Mine Jct.

Who knows which locomotives were RCL Equiped but never used due to union regulations?

MORE TO COME!!!!!!

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Sights of the Upper Penisula 2008

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

Thanks for sharing. Looks like you had a great time.

i995impalass
Yooper Foamer

Unread post by i995impalass »

Wow that was a good week, If I recall I worked at 0700, got out we went phoaming, I returned to work the 2300 Dock again... AND its about time you got off your askrack and posted them!

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

Yep. I wanna do it again. Hows the Spring time for ya? This time make sure you dont have to work.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

i995impalass
Yooper Foamer

Unread post by i995impalass »

Sure sounds good, if im still there!

Crow T Robot
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Crow T Robot »

Awesome set
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=24021
http://crow_t_robot.rrpicturearchives.net/
http://www.youtube.com/user/Spawn674 - I need a better video camera

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Great pictures and narration :)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

CERY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CERY »

Awesome!
Semi-retired railroader